Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son pitches for the UW. He is a sophomore.
Hitting
I would say that traditionally the Huskies are a power hitting team. They are usually in the top of the Pac-10 in Home Runs (86 last year, next closest team had 55) and Strike outs (439).

Fielding
Two years ago they led the NCAA in fielding % at .978 (.966 last year). Quality defensive first basemen look to be the most important position that contributes to good fielding %.

Pitching
Pitching philosophy is to throw strikes. This is not always done. Most between outing work is spent improving control and hitting specific location. UW was tied in Pac-10 with 488 strike outs but was number one with 289 BB.

Physical Conditioning is important like any top notch program. They changed the conditioning coach this year. More Cardio for pitchers.

Coaching
The coach was right on honest with my son as a recruit and stood by his comments.
He said that he does not guarantee playing time, but everyone has an opportunity to earn playing time. My son earned playing time at the beginning of his freshman season. As the season went on, his results were not up to the standards required to get more looks and didn’t get in as many games. The coaches sat down with my son after the season was over and they talked about the things he needed to do to be successful. The coaches set my son up for success by putting him on a collegiate league team that had a strong pitching coach.

Academics
The UW is on a Quarter system. There is mandatory study hall for all freshmen. This year, there is not only a grade check but class attendance checks. Missing classes results in extra work (improve your body if you don’t want to improve your mind). Not too many players miss classes after having to do one time of extra workouts. The UW is an excellent academic school. My son, in a year and a quarter, has had interest in Pre-Law, Communications, Education, Sociology, and now Foreign Language (Spanish). UW also has a great Engineering Program along with Medicine.

Go Dawgs
U-Dub is located in one of the most beautiful areas of the nation - just outside downtown Seattle. Many of their graduates who work out there are in high technology and work at such places as Microsoft for example. I have worked with many UW graduates and they are held in very high esteem. I don't know much about their baseball program but assume it to be of high caliber since it is in the Pac-10. IMHO, if you have a chance to go to UW, it would be a great opportunity for you.
Very diverse student body as well. Lots of pretty girls there!! Easy access to almost every outdoor activity imaginable. Great neighborhoods, etc.

The ONLY drawback may be the weather. If you're prone to getting down in cloudy cool weather, that may be an issue to contend with. The summers-autmuns, however (mid-July and on into October) are the best anywhere.
Lincecum had 199 Ks and 63 BB in 125 innings.

Without his strikeouts UW would have been at the bottom of the Pac-10. Taking away his BB would have brought UW to 5th best.

He was the difference in the 22 games he appeared (17 starts, 5 relief).

Over all the UW was a pretty young pitching staff last year with
Freshman - 1 starter, 2 Relievers with over 20 appearances each
Sophomores - 2 part time starter/relievers with over 28 appearances each and 1 reliever with 14 appearances

With last year’s experience and work over the off season, these six should help to lower the BB numbers this coming year.

This
UW is a power focussed program becasue they traditionally have trouble recruiting quality pitching. It is cold and wet in the early season and the top prospect prefer to go where it is warm. Tim was an exception, however he was not widely recruited because of size and unusal delivery. He sort of came in under the radar. His summer coach played with the UW coach at the UW.
They have a nice artificial turf infield with a grass outfield. Big time hitters park very easy to hit homeruns there. I dont know exactly but i think their entire roster is composed of washington natives. They have indoor batting cages that i'd imagine come in good use during their fall/winter. Topnotch football and basketball facilities. The baseball field itself is great, has good dugouts, playing surface, bullpens and everything but the stands are kinda ****** and could use rennovations.
They like to hit homeruns and imagine they recuit kids who do so.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.