Skip to main content

I hate to think it and of course hope Vince comes back but... if I was the Houston Texans GM I'd hire Mack Brown as my head coach, trade David Carr for draft picks (to be used on offensive linemen) and draft Vince #1.

Vince returns to his hometown of Houston as the National Champion hero and #1 pick with his favorite coach.

As a diehard Orangeblood, I hope it does not happen.
quote:
Originally posted by calbb:
See last year. USC runs better, throws better, has better receivers, a better line, and Pete Carroll has over a month to put together a plan to isolate Vince Young and stop Texas. This will be no contest just like what happened to the vaunted Oklahoma team who had a coach that is much better than Mack Brown.

Well calbb?
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBatter:
USC- 49
Texas- 20

The points given up by SC to Fresno St. was a complete aberration, just an off day.

Texas played NO ONE this year except for Ohio State, who they barely beat and the Buckeyes would have no chance against the Trojans.

SC's team speed on both sides of the ball, the number of skill players they have and the coaching talent of Carroll and his staff is something Texas ain't seen. They will be as knocked for a loop as were the Sooners.

Well Heybatter?
NATURAL

I am not sure he is a NFL QB---playing college aint the pros---lineman bigger and faster when flushing QB's out of the pocket hwich means QB's do not escape like they do in college

The kid is a great athlete but I am still not sure if he is a NFL QB---have seen too many "great" college QB's and running backs not make it in the NFL

Bush, last night looked like he has been reading too many press clippings--looked very unsure of himself

The last two nights somewhat got the BCS people top ratings after a lot of bad years--- two of the greatest games for a fan to watch

Funny aspect with the media--- all of a sudden Young is the "greatest" QB and nobody talks about the USC Heisman guys--how rapidly they can turn !!!
baseballdad

Watch how he throws-- he was accurate as all git out last night but his throwing motion is not "normal"--- I can see him as kick/punt returner right out of the box in the NFL and I bet he would make one heck of a defensive back in the secondary covering all those 6ft6 receivers that abound now in the NFL.

Keep in mind that if he goes early he will go to a team with no offensive line which could be a killer for him
TR,

He would get abused as a secondary player in the NFL. He's 230 pounds! And while he's fast, he could never cover the likes of Owens or Moss. Conversely, Owens or Moss could not run an offense with precision, throw the ball downfield with both strength and touch, and run like John Riggins in the open field. He may not be a classic quarterback, but at the bottom line he's the best in college football today with great promise for a successful NFL career in some team's backfield.
HSBBWeb Old Timer
"Posted December 06, 2005 06:23 PM
Right with the White Sox in 2005 and in 2006.

Texas will beat USC...Saw a couple of USC games. Bush and the 2nd guy are "loads". The big USC qb will be running for his life.

Young will have a game for the ages.

Texas in this one."
Posts: 2019 | Location: Frankfort, IL. 60423 | Registered: December 26, 2002

----

Now if I could only figure out the lottery numbers.
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
Pretty quiet on the left coast today, huh?!

It's just 9:20am on the left coast now, just got the time to respond.

Defense wins championships, USC had more than its share of opportunities to stop UT but didn't. Young had a outstanding game, and I give UT credit for not caving in.

Look back at my post yesterday, I thought a 3 point spread was correct....just picked the wrong team.

Congrats to USC and the run they had.

Congrats to UT for a great finish to an outsatnding year.

(But as far as baseball goes, we Californians will have a say in the NCAA's for baseball....as well as every other state in this union.)
From the left coast and a die hard USC fan since the Garret days.

Congrats to Texas and Vince Young on a great game.

Where was USC's defense? Besides allowing Young to scramble at will, they never seemed to be within 5 yards of a receiver. I was amazed that USC kept it that close.

USC's offense was all that it was cracked up to be to put that many points on the board vs. a very good Texas defense. Sure they slowed down Bush, but USC was never always about Bush. Take Young away from Texas and how would they have fared.

Young for President.
Congrats to USC on an awsome Dynasty they put up and will still have.
Congrats to Texas on winning it all. I saw Vincent Young play a year ago agaisnt Kansas. 4 and 17 texas has the ball with 25 seconds down by six. Drops back and runs for the first. next play throws a TD for the win. will never forget it. reminded me of the play he made to win last night.
You can't overlook how good of a game Matt Leinart had.

Leinart, unlike Young, played against a good defense, and Leinart showed why he's the best QB in the nation.

Congrats to Young and Texas, but also to Leinart and USC.

BTW, who else thinks Mack Brown did nothing but watch the Rose Bowl? I've got a feeling Young turned around 1/2 of Brown's calls.
quote:
Originally posted by micdsguy:
You can't overlook how good of a game Matt Leinart had.

Leinart, unlike Young, played against a good defense, and Leinart showed why he's the best QB in the nation.

Congrats to Young and Texas, but also to Leinart and USC.

BTW, who else thinks Mack Brown did nothing but watch the Rose Bowl? I've got a feeling Young turned around 1/2 of Brown's calls.

No question that Matt Lienart is a great quarterback but Young does more with less weapons than Matt. I was disappointed with the less than gracious quotes Matt had to offer after the game but I guess he was being honest even though he came across as somewhat of a sore loser. I think that Matt is the best bet for college quarterbacks going to the NFL but Vince has more upside potential...
Kudos to the game's referees who must have done an adequate job since nobody is talking about them too much. Granted they gave TexaS a touchdown when Vince's knee touched but as critical as that may have been, it seemed inocuous compared to many of the other bowl game's bad calls.

Was this the worst year for refs in bowl games or what? There were so many terrible calls that affected games.

The most obvious bad refs I saw were during the Florida-Iowa game. I feel bad for fans of both teams who were cheated from perhaps seeing the greatest game of all time. It probably wouldn't of been but I guess we'll never know.
SBK,

I was there and still haven't seen the replays of the off side. People tell me the player was not off side. Is that true?

How can that call be made if it did not happen? It's not like blowing a tough call. If you don't see off side... How do you throw the flag?

Anyway, Florida deserved to win the game. They dominated the first 3 quarters. 5o minutes of boredom (for Iowa fans) and 10 minutes of excitement. Too bad about the on side kick being recovered and not counting. That really would have made things even more interesting.
Refs missed two major calls that could have influenced the outcome of the game...to the benefit of Texas.

But what destroyed any chances of USC to win the game was the "read and react" prevent defense that took the "Whew" out of USC's aggressiveness. I did not agree with what I watched, and was very dismayed with the lack of disciplined pursuit angles and pursuit lane management...just shook my head as I watched the fiasco unfold in front of my eyes.

The two 4th and one calls where so Woody-Hayes-like, not West Coast PAC-10 football at all. With such great running backs and receivers to go to a straight dive play wasn't so bad in ideas as was the method used. Formation should have been a Spread-Wide to increase the O-line gaps and give the running back some room to choose a hole.

And even if going to the tight formation I would have used a 300 lb O-guard as the lead blocker to run a "Slam or Blast" out of the "I".

My thought was they would go with a naked bootleg with sprint-out option pass-run.

I think USC just went to conservative...you know the old saying, no-guts-no-glory.

USC lost their guts, and then lost the game.
Last edited by Ramrod
quote:
..But the biggest disappointment of the year for me is knowing that my beloved Hokies haven't sent Marcus Vick packing. His thuggish act was one of the lowest nastiest cheapshots I've ever seen, and ruined what should have been a sweet bowl victory. No class, no character. Head coaches should deal with all of the trash talking and preening once and for all. You don't see that nonsense in D-III, D-II, or even D-IAA. Appalling, simply appalling.

I hear he's packing as we speak! Roll Eyes Permanently dismissed from the team!
Last edited by FrankF
Congratulations to the University of Texas. Class act, class team, amazing effort and Vince Young, what can you say about one of the greatest performances in sports.

As for my Trojans, one heck of a run. Several things I think they did horribly wrong in that game, but noidea. Well, just to get it off my chest and be overly picky Big Grin -

In general, USC came in expecting to win and the 'Horns came in playing to win. SC unfortunately believed its own hype.

Horrible clock management during the game on offense by SC. At least 2 delay penalties. Typical poor 1st half performance. Very poor play calling on offense at various times. Me thinks this game showed how much they miss Norm Chow.

A few specifics:

1st qtr on the 4th down play-they were apparently unaware of how much they actually had to gain. They line up in a no backfield formation. Who didn't know Leinart was going to run the sneak. Bush was in the slot, not even spread out to spread out the UT defense. Worse yet IMO, why not a field goal at this point. Then you're up 10 so UT needs to score twice.

Then the big one-Bush laterals the ball after the huge gain on the swing pass, crossing the Texas 20, his team heading in to go up 14-0. And with no disrespect to the young man he was tossing it to, but he's a walk on with virtually no game experience (can't begin to understand why he was in the game). Bush's play was just that-absolutely bush league, playground, grab a** nonsense, selfish glory all move.

Leinart's intercepted pass at the goal line in the second half had no zip and the receiver never came back to the ball.

4th qtr 4th down play. Who one earth didn't know that was going to White. Meanwhile Bush is on the sideline and bottomline, you are the two time defending national champion, with two Heisman winners on your team and you can't make one yard. pull_hair

Defensively, USC had no plan. the only times they were successful was when they had their "speed" unit, with 3 downlinmen and the Ting brothers in the backfield. Only with that scheme did they slow down Young and force him to give the ball to someone else. But Carroll used that scheme sparingly for whatever reason. His alternative was to have the safety, Darnell Bing, shadow Young every where. Made no real attempt at that and basically just conceded to let Young have his day. May have worked as SC held Texas to 10 points under their average. Trouble was SC flushed about 21 first half points down the toilet. Again, a horrible first half team - have been throughout the Carroll era.

But, again, great run over the past three years, great kids and they'll certainly be back at the forefront next year. Fight on.
RR

USC has gone for it on 4th down all year long-- Texas did it on their first possession as well-- I like the fact that both coaches played to win not to avert losing

For a game you saw as a "fiasco" isnt it funny the final score was not decided until the final gun

Footnote: being Woody Hayes like is not a bad thing--he is one of the greatest college football coaches of all time.

I simply tip my hat to both programs for one of the "funnest" games I have ever watched on the college level.
quote:
Originally posted by Ramrod:
Refs missed two major calls that could have influenced the outcome of the game...to the benefit of Texas.

But what destroyed any chances of USC to win the game was the "read and react" prevent defense that took the "Whew" out of USC's aggressiveness. I did not agree with what I watched, and was very dismayed with the lack of disciplined pursuit angles and pursuit lane management...just shook my head as I watched the fiasco unfold in front of my eyes.

The two 4th and one calls where so Woody-Hayes-like, not West Coast PAC-10 football at all. With such great running backs and receivers to go to a straight dive play wasn't so bad in ideas as was the method used. Formation should have been a Spread-Wide to increase the O-line gaps and give the running back some room to choose a hole.

And even if going to the tight formation I would have used a 300 lb O-guard as the lead blocker to run a "Slam or Blast" out of the "I".

My thought was they would go with a naked bootleg with sprint-out option pass-run.

I think USC just went to conservative...you know the old saying, no-guts-no-glory.

USC lost their guts, and then lost the game.

To me the biggest missed call was the interception that denide Texas a chance to blow out USC in the first half
quote:
Originally posted by darkmoon:
No question that Matt Lienart is a great quarterback but Young does more with less weapons than Matt.

I'm not sure that's true. Vince has a good arm, not as good as Leinart's, but Vince also has good legs, while Leinart wears a leg brace and runs an 8.5, 40(sarcasm).
And the Texas team isn't a bunch of slouches, and I know you didn't mean it that way, but Texas has some good recievers, too. But the fact that Young ran for 200 yards in the Rose Bowl shows you that he has two great weapons in himself, whereas Leinart has one.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.