Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the site.  Your velocity is generally average for a HS pitcher.  Since you are just a rising sophomore and 6'2", you likely have potential to gain quite a bit of velocity.  It is a tricky thing though.  Some just stop gaining much at that point and some gain quite a bit.  Control what you can control.  Make sure you are getting good mechanical instruction.  Make sure you are on a strengthening program suitable for pitchers.  Work your arm but don't overwork it.

There is a wealth of information here that can help you.  You can search threads by topic or continue to ask away.  Congratulations on finding this resource.  Keep finding resources that can help you and put the information into action.

Oh, and don't get hung up on age.  The best way to look at it is that you are a HS pitcher now.  Aim to compete with other HS pitchers, not other 15 y.o.'s.  Some HS pitchers your age are touching 90 and getting recruited.  Some will improve a lot over the next few years.  Some won't.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Originally Posted by Willymac:

I range between 76-78 and top out at about 79. I am going to be a a sophomore in high school. I am 6'2 175. I wanted to know how I rank amongst other players my age. (15)

Its a matter of what your hopes and dreams are.  Clearly you are ahead of pace to be a good to very good high school pitcher.  But probably just a smidge behind pace to be a D1 recruit.  But close enough that with strength training and a lot.of hard work on mechanics you can get there.
Originally Posted by Willymac:
Where would you say a D1 recruit is at my age? (Lefty)

Generally a LHP needs to be closer to mid 80's before a decent D1 will recruit.  Your projected height will help and some will likely watch closely.  But you have to do the work to maximize your velo potential. 

We have a big LHP that was recruited to a decent D1 as a rising young junior who sat low 80's at the time but projected to be a big kid and everything else was quite polished.  Very effective off-speed stuff and a track record of success at the bigger showcase events.  This is about the lowest velo I have seen actively recruited at that level.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.