Skip to main content

Dominik85 posted:

Do tall pitchers get away with being skinny easier than shorter guys? It seems like the guys who throw really hard despite being super skinny are really tall. Randy Johnson and Chris sale look like they are just bones and skin but they are also 6"6 plus.

If apples and apples (which, of course, is never really the case), yes.  Which has more capacity for velo, longer levers with moderate strength or shorter levers with moderate strength?  Which release will be closer to home plate, therefore adding perceived velo and shorter time for a hitter to pick up the pitch?  Which potentially allows for more severe angles of attack?

Dominik85 posted:

Do tall pitchers get away with being skinny easier than shorter guys? It seems like the guys who throw really hard despite being super skinny are really tall. Randy Johnson and Chris sale look like they are just bones and skin but they are also 6"6 plus.

No one ever got fired for buying IBM. No scouts has ever been fired for writing up tall pitchers.

Kyle Boddy posted:
Dominik85 posted:

No one ever got fired for buying IBM. No scouts has ever been fired for writing up tall pitchers.

So it is a SYA (save your ass) move by the scouts?

PGStaff posted:

If someone were to put together a list of the 10 very best pitchers in the past 50 years or more, what would those pitchers look like?  Size? Body Type? Velocity? Command? Best Pitch? Etc.?

Just off the top of my head, others will probably have a different list...

Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Clayton Kershaw, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Mariano Rivera, Steve Carleton.

The list above includes Tall, Short, and in between. Skinny, muscular, and in between. LHP and RHP. Pitchers that relied on high velocity, command, special pitches, etc. Even different training methods.  I think any list would be just as diversified. 

To me, it just shows that there is more than one way to accomplish greatness.

All great but only one was under 6', Pedro Martinez.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.