Skip to main content

Opinions please. I am not pitching expert/coach and would welcome any help. My son has always had a very strong arm. At 13 he was radared at 69-71; at 14 at 74-76. Now at 15, 72-73. There is some history. He has never had a leg kick; he usually steps toward home. At 13, coaches insisted on lifting his leg which led to 6-7 mph drop in velocity. Same year, when he didn't lift his leg his vel increased again. At 14 he never lifted his leg and picked up 4-5 mph. Now he is playing a short season(due to his age and state high school rules) and has worked on lifting his leg again. He has grown quite a bit over the last two years (6 inches/30 pounds). His arm slot also seems to have dropped down to a low 3/4's. Could the the leg lift and being out of prime pitching shape impact him that much?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Velo's can change from outing to outing, so I wouldn't worry about the numbers too much. A kid could have thrown 87-88 last week and for a variety of reasons only hit 84-85 this week. The type of gun can also make a slight difference (JUGS apparently reads 1-2 mph 'faster' than Stalker). Not sure how the leg lift might impact things. Some of the hardest throwers of all time have had a dandy leg lift, but it just depends on the individual's body and the chain-of-movement that finally leads to release. Being out of prime pitching shape would definitely factor in. Just a few thoughts.......
Last edited by Krakatoa
The leg kick in-and-of itself is not the culprit but is most likely affecting his landing point and hip position, if he opens up early the Velocity will be lost. Frankly there are way too many variables to get meaniful answers here; has he been doing long toss, band work, bull pens and conditioning work?

If he is serious about pitching get a coach that can work with him over a period of time to correct the basic mechanics and then put in the required physical work and he will be fine.
A little more information on my 15 yo. His arm doesn't hurt but I could definitely see that he was not throwing as hard this year as last. Strange considering he grew. I thought it was just me or the change from 54' to 60'. He has only pitched 12 innings this year (since June 1). Over the past 3 years he averaged 80- 100 innings. Maybe his arm just isn't as strong as prior years. He long tosses 1-2 times per week and has worked up to around 250'. We worked on his arm strength quite a bit in prior years. I thought maybe too much. Last year he tired quickly usually around 40 pitches. His velocity would drop rapidly. This year he went over 70 pitches in a game and was not tired. Of course he wasn't throwing as hard.
I agree with TPM, those were a bunch of previous innings.
Who were these coaches who monkeyed with his mechs? Seems like consistency is one of the missing elements. Changing mechs can be a nightmare as far as timing goes. BOF is right, I'd have someone who is professional look at him and give an opine.
Then if this is his passion , I'd set him up on a real conditioning program, learn everything you can learn about arm health and maintenance and I'd really get to work on a consistent set of mechanics....All this after you determine he has a clean bill of health. You have time but as I said if it is his passion I'd get busy.
Thanks for the help. My son says he feels fine and his arm feels stronger then ever. He insists that he was throwing upper 70's -80 when radared (it was a try out camp this past weekend) and the gun has to be wrong. He says the readings were a hot topic among the other pitchers. He seemed to be popping the catchers mit. I did see two senior boys throwing 74-78 which seems slow for their age and the ability levels at this try out. I thought maybe the club coach set the veloc. low (possible?) for some reason until I saw a young man throw a 91. I don't know if a jugs gun readings can be altered or made to read speed at the plate. My boys summer coach thought he was throwing around 80 but varied quite a bit from outing to outing. Anyways, my boy feels fine and is hitting the ball a ton, so I don't think there is a loss of strength for some physical reason. Thanks!!
There are so many factors, but I don't see the leg lift as a primary problem. I see the problem related to mechancis, balance, rythym/tempo, lack of long-toss, hand separation, and staying closed.

Get your son a qualified pitching instructor. Tempo could be the problem. Strive to equally time the three parts of pitching: 1- Start to balance point should equal 2- Balance point to foot plant should equal 3- Foot plant to release.

Balance could be the problem. A lot of pitchers "bend their back" prior to the balance point (lack of balance). This lack of balance means this: The body will now focus it's energy on achieving balance rather than directing it's force downward to the footplant stage. To illustrate this, try lifting your leg to the balance point. Now bend your back until you almost tip backwards. Will your next action be to achieve balance or drive towards the plate?

Long-toss is paramount. For starters, it is hard to throw a ball far if you don't have good mechanics. Because of this, long-toss reinforces proper throwing technique and arm slot. Long-toss also promotes arm health by stretching the muscles and tendons. Finally, it promotes the most critical element of a fastball: Arm speed.

Hand separation should occur precisely at balance point. This has to do with rythym or tempo but also because 1) early separation impies "flying open" and 2) late separation implies rushing (arm cannot catch up and the ball will sail high or wide).

Staying closed. Get behind the pitcher. When the landing foot plants the ball, the pitcher's body and the landing foot and glove should be in perfect alignment.

Do a Google search and read about Alan Jaeger's long-toss method. Throw and long-toss year-round. Never stop throwing.
Last edited by Bum
Just an update. My 15 yo son is playing 18U Fall Ball. The head coach is also the local community college pitching coach. He told me my son has very good mechanics. I mentioned the drop in velocity. He thought his 4 seam was moving upper 70's and the 2 seam was mid 70's. He also said my boy held the 2 seam with his fingers split apart more than normal which caused the ball to slow down but also added alot of movement. My son told me he's been holding the ball like that all year. Regardless, he's been pitching against some of the best hitters in the county and he's been sitting them down. I guess whatever works.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.