Skip to main content

@Go44dad posted:

Movement says "What about me?"

You can have both, neither or some of both and/or develop both. Neither are absolute. You can have command of one pitch and not another, same with velocity (but velocity generally correlates).

I think movement is definitely important too but the studies I have seen the ranking for fastballs is velo, then command and last movement

https://community.fangraphs.co...ation-or-movement-2/

I’m not sure what perspective people speak from and I think that is a very important distinction. Speaking from personal experience is what means the most to me, I was a very hard thrower (95) back when there weren’t many. I thought I could throw the ball past most any hitter just because of velo. When I got to college I found out that I was very wrong and I gave up some titanic home runs before I figured out that college hitters could hit any velo - especially if it was straight.  It was only after I developed a good change up and learned to sink my FB that I had consistent success. I also learned that changing speeds was the most effective way to get hitters out. Hitting is about timing so therefore pitching is about upsetting a hitters timing - and nothing does that better than changing speeds. I also geared my velo back to 90 in order to command the baseball better. That proved to be a successful formula for me. So, based on my own personal experience I would rank the importance of things this way:              
1. Changing speeds.                                            2. Movement                                                       3. Velo                                                                   I will close by saying, if you haven’t ever done it yourself your perspective on how to pitch is pretty limited. IMO baseball is not something that you can learn well by osmosis.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.