Skip to main content

So a buddy of mine has a 2022 OF prospect son.  Thus far, he's got two Juco offers and one NAIA.  All came last month - June.  The unfortunate truth is, the kid isn't really interested in any of the 3.  They are "love" offers in terms of when they came and their dollar amounts, but the love isn't reciprocated.  He's circled back with all 3 coaches and indicated that he wants to make his decision no later than December.  None of them pushed back on that timeline.  Me, personally, I think it's borderline nuts to tell a coach that right now - all things considered.  Because of the message it sends - intended or not - and the number of players in the pool to select from.

So the question is, should he accept any one of those offers in December, will the dollar amounts be the same?  Will they be fine a la red wine properly stored at room temperature?  Or closer to a white wine that only gets worse over time?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think anyone can say what the offers will be like then. Too many variables, but if it's not a good fit for him and family for some reason, and the 40 year plan is the most important, then he shouldn't commit.

My 2020 got a very nice D1 offer going into his junior year. We knew he'd likely not get another offer like it. It wasn't that he thought he could do better, but he really didn't like the school, he ended up going to another D1, but would have gone to another level if the fit was right.

Last edited by nycdad

I don’t understand why anyone would give a second thought (December) to a school they’re not interested. The money very well may not be on the table in December. It could go to a player in love with the program.

It doesn’t appear the player is a future pro prospect. I would be thinking best affordable education and where can I get on the field regardless of level.

Last edited by RJM

As always, HSBBW is full of a lot of wise input.  It's always sincerely appreciated.  Having said that, I'd still really appreciate any insights as the question I was proposing.  Here it is again if anyone has any input on it.  Thanks in advance.

So the question is, should he accept any one of those offers in December, will the dollar amounts be the same?  Will they be fine a la red wine properly stored at room temperature?  Or closer to a white wine that only gets worse over time?

I’m guessing that the reason you haven’t gotten the answer is because the answer is probably both, either, yes and no. If he is their number one, if he continues to develop and improve, if another hotshot in another positions doesn’t come along and grab more of the scholarship pool  and if they don’t have a close second, the offer may still be there at the same value. But eventually the teams have to move on and fill a slot. Coaches have recruiting boards and they have more than one prospect in mind for each position. If you are lucky, they will let you know if they’ve come to the point where they are going to pull the trigger with another player but they don’t always have the time (in some cases it’s also a lack of class depending on how serious you were about each other) to circle back and let the original guy know they moved on. If a player decides to wait, he/she does it at their own risk. It may end up being a full-bodied red or it could be vinegar.

@DanJ posted:

Danj - So, putting aside whether the school is a good fit or not...I believe time is not your friend on any college baseball offer.  Too many things can happen, and usually do.   Sure there are recruits with leverage, but even that is fleeting.   

My son's first offer was to a local D1 (great school!)  with 25% athletic scholly and possible academic money...we were over the moon.   A month later they upped the offer to 50% when they learned he had garnered additional offers.   A week later the RC issued an ultimatum and they gave him 72 hrs (a weekend) to decide yes or no.   It went from this "loosey-goosey-take-your-time-offer" to we need to know now (you've had a enough time to think about it).   

I just don't see this limbo lasting 4 months as you described it.   The roster will be filled and schollies given to those they know they can count on.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.