Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jackie just got taken by the Red Sox early in the supp. 1st round!

So far, two of Midlo Son's former travel mates. Congrats to those guys!

Though I'm not sure I would have wished the Mariners on Hultzen. They are known for being stingy to a fault. Hopefully they will follow the Pirates and the Royals in the trend towards ignoring the Commissioner and paying to land their top choices!

As for Jackie, the Red Sox are known as one of the best organizations for developing players, AND they will pay "over slot" in many cases. Jackie has to be ecstatic. I know it's killing him to have to sit out these NCAA tourney games with his injury but this has to make him feel a lot better!
Last edited by Midlo Dad
The greatest reason for many of the High School guys slipping is signability.

You hate to spend a 3-5th round pick on a kid who winds up going to school but you might take a flier on him in the 20-30th and see if he will take 3-5th round money. If not then losing out on the 600th pick in the draft hurts less then the 100th.
Liberty University had 7 taken in this draft. Congrats to all the young men on the team:
Garret Baker - L/P - Angels
Steven Evans - L/P - Twins
Matt Williams - S/S - Cardinals
Blake Forslund - R/P - Red Sox's
Casey Rasmus - Cather - Cardinals
Keegan Linza - R/P - White Sox
Tyler Bream - 3/B - Diamondbacks
Last edited by Ace 45
I don't follow VT baseball too closely, but was there a reason Shaban was moved to 1B? Watching him I always thought his athleticism would allow him to play in the middle infield or at least at 3B. If, for some reason, he is now strictly a 1B then obviously the offensive requirements would be a bit tougher. Just wondering if he was a 1B b/c of team need or for some other reason.
The rule of thumb is that juniors get more money than seniors because they have at least some negotiating leverage, since they can threaten to return to school. Unfortunately that's only good through about the 20th round maybe, unless you are actually more highly regarded and you slid down over "signability" in the first place. In the 49th round, they don't offer you any real bonus money. So I would think finishing your degree would be a better deal.

In fact, it represents a better paycheck than what you'd get in short season Low A ball.

I have to say I'm disappointed for Ronnie. He deserved better. I thought he had proved himself enough as a hitter to get drafted as a hitter, and a whole lot earlier too.
Fairfax native Austin Booker chosen by the Oakland A’s in 33rd round. He is a Robinson High School product, graduated from the University of California on May 4 after majoring in American studies with a concentration on architecture. His father, Rod Booker played for the St. Louis Cardinals and later with the Philadelphia Phillies. Rod played behind the great SS, Ozzie Smith while with the Cards.
We will have an opportunity to watch him pit his talents when his Golden Bears battle the Virginia Cavaliers in the CWS starting this Sunday.
Most of the draft databases will let you sort draftees by state, but if they were college guys, they'll be listed not by their home states, but according to where they went to school.

So with someone like Verdin, who went to UGA, you have to check the other states' lists to see who all might be there that you might recognize.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.