Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is impressive- do you think VMI's Coach Ikenberry could possibly take the next step up in his coaching career? I know he is a VMI Alumni but I wonder if like other sports success like he is having could lead to his going to another program at some point? I dont know what his personal career goals are but it has done a very good job at VMI- which is not the easiest place to recruit
Fun to see some familiar names in the reports.

Jeremy Brown played for me at East Cobb in 2007. That team also played under the name Virginia Cardinals. Although he had already made contact with VMI before going, his showing there helped him reach a deal.

Chris Duty was a big horse for Monacan's 2006 AAA state champions. I heard he had some sort of injury trouble last year, so it's good to see him putting that behind him.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Fun to see some familiar names in the reports.

Jeremy Brown played for me at East Cobb in 2007. That team also played under the name Virginia Cardinals. Although he had already made contact with VMI before going, his showing there helped him reach a deal.

Chris Duty was a big horse for Monacan's 2006 AAA state champions. I heard he had some sort of injury trouble last year, so it's good to see him putting that behind him.

Jason Farley was DC Metro's Player of the Year his senior year at Madison HS the year the Warhawks were 29-0 and ranked nationally.
VMI will be hosting the 800 pound bullies from Conway, South Carolina in a few weeks. As of today, both teams lead the nation in number of wins at 29 and both have only lost 5 games. Along with VMI's win last night of UVA, Coastal kept pace by beating North Carolina in Chappel Hill.

I suggest that all who love college baseball in the Lexington area fill the seats that weekend as there has not been a series this big in the "Big" South for several years. Lexington is beautiful this time of year and VMI has a state of the art stadium which I had the privilage of visiting a few years ago. That should be a lot of fun.

I should add that Coastal has several kids on their roster from Virginia. Cody Wheeler should go fairly high in the upcoming draft and Daniel Bowman is a fine power hitter.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
Look, Coach Ike knows exactly what he is up against in recruiting kids to come to VMI, then getting them to tough it out through that first semester. I'll never forget the trip my kid and I took to Lexington. I really wanted him to commit, not just for the baseball but for what I knew he would get in rewards after graduating. But it was his decision and he went in another direction (never fault him for that especially the way it has turned out). But I give Marlin all the credit in the world for putting that program on the map. That is simply unbelievable.
dblmup--

The Madison Warhawk 29-0 year was 2001, when they won the State Championship. Although they were again ranked nationally in both 2006 and 2007, Farley's Jr and Sr seasons.

Farley is back from a torn labrum (redshirted last year) and is having a tremendous season. Looks like he's now their Friday night starter.

As for Oakton "having their number come regionals" that is true for the last 2 meetings, both 2-1 late inning wins by Oakton. Imagine 2 schools that historically good within 2 miles of each other. And it was again last night, an 8-7 comeback win for Madison.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stepupandplay:
dblmup--

The Madison Warhawk 29-0 year was 2001, when they won the State Championship. Although they were again ranked nationally in both 2006 and 2007, Farley's Jr and Sr seasons.

Farley is back from a torn labrum (redshirted last year) and is having a tremendous season. Looks like he's now their Friday night starter.

Step:

Thanks for the clarification on the Madison record. Relatively new to the area and just have an overview of the Warhawk successes.

It is great to see Jason come back so strong. Watched him rehab all summer. Great kid. He doen't say much, but worked as hard as anyone to get back.
Last edited by dblemup
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
VMI will be hosting the 800 pound bullies from Conway, South Carolina in a few weeks. As of today, both teams lead the nation in number of wins at 29 and both have only lost 5 games. Along with VMI's win last night of UVA, Coastal kept pace by beating North Carolina in Chappel Hill.

I suggest that all who love college baseball in the Lexington area fill the seats that weekend as there has not been a series this big in the "Big" South for several years. Lexington is beautiful this time of year and VMI has a state of the art stadium which I had the privilage of visiting a few years ago. That should be a lot of fun.

I should add that Coastal has several kids on their roster from Virginia. Cody Wheeler should go fairly high in the upcoming draft and Daniel Bowman is a fine power hitter.

Charleston Southern of the Big South defeated Flordia early in the season and has the chance to do the same next week with a couple of games against Florida State. Big South making noise!
Yes we all noticed.The fact that they beat UVA was not the real story because that most certainly would not happen twice!UVA is an exceptional team with very good coaching and talent.I was just picking on Chris Taylor(father) his son plays for UVA and we are all happy for him(the son).VMI still had a great season and no reason to believe they will not next year.Good luck to both teams and thanks for representing Virginia,even Va.Tech deserves a Kudo.
Lets at least get the facts straight.

VMI’s “top guns” are the weekend starters: Lopez, Farley, and Roberts. Brown started the game, went 3.1 strong innings for the Keydets, and was relieved by Chris Duty. Farley did pitch, but only 1.2 innings (I don’t know their pitchers’ throwing schedule, but that probably was not a lot more pitches than a normal midweek bullpen). Garrett pitched the last inning for VMI.

VMI has had a bad run of late, but those things happen in baseball. Don’t try and take anything away from that win however. They played a great game that night and deserved the win.

Oh, and by the way, UVA doesn’t have any “bottomfeeders” on their roster.
quote:
Originally posted by VaBaseballDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Black-Hawks08:
I'd like to know how any player who continues past the High School level can be considered a "bottom feeder"

Agree with BH08 on this.

Especially any player good enough to make the roster of an ACC team - and one that is consistently ranked in the top 10 to boot. They haven't had a "bottom feeder" on their roster for a decade.
According to the box score, UVA threw the following players at VMI:

Mayberry, a Freshman

Thompson, a Sophomore

Hunt, a Junior

O'Connor, a Freshman

Davis, a Senior

and Halley, a Sophomore.

In fairness, Hunt is listed as an INF/P. Halley as an OF/P.

A quick glance of their individual bios shows the following (no where near complete, I am just listing some highlights):

Mayberry was a HS 2X Team MVP, a 2X Team S****r MVP, 2X All-State, and had 100 K's his Senior year in HS.

Hunt was a 2X All-State, 2X Player of the Year.

Davis was a 3X All-Academic, 2006 Gatorade Player of the Year, 2006 Louisville Slugger All-American, and in 2008 averaged 9 K's per 9 innings pitched for UVA.

Each one of these players is at the highest level of college baseball for reason. Not only would I not classify these guys as "bottom feeders", I am quite sure that any college coach in the country would be proud to have any of them on their roster. I am positive that UVA is.
Well said Al
Memorex maybe is clueless about college pitching.
I take that back. Confused

Have you ever been to VMI?

Have some respect for the institute.
Please visit.

Why would VMI throw their top guns in a mid week game?

Do some homework on both UVA and VMI's incoming 2010's. Both are great classes and VA ball will be represented quite well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.