Skip to main content

Is anyone up to speed on HS baseball programs in the Waco suburban area? If so, can you provide any info on quality of coaching, program, etc.?

I know that in 4A, Midway has a program with a great history. I'm not sure of the current status of their program.

In 3A, there area teams such as Lorena (which I think did well in the playoffs last year until they ran up against LaGrange), China Spring, Robinson and others.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
"Show me a guy who won't pitch inside and I'll show you a loser" Sandy Koufax
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Midway will be ranked near the top. They have a catcher who signed with Baylor, a SS going to Texas State who will likely be all-state and several under classmen who may be even better. I've heard nothing but praise of Coach Gladney and his record speaks for itself. I believe he has also been selected as one of the head coaches of the '05 Texas HS allstar game.

Lorena is preseason 3A #1 in Texas. SS Ben Booker and LHP/OF Cliff Springston have both signed with Baylor and are returing all-state as is P/1B Adam Hornung who signed with San Jacinto JC. Booker was an AFLAC AA last season and is considered by many a potential 5 tool guy and one of the top middle infielders in the country.

Considering the close proximity of Lorena and Midway it is pretty extraordinary how much talent has grown up in the area.

Robinson is a solid program as is China Spring who won a state title three or four yrs ago. Both have played second fiddle to Lorena however recently who went undefeated the year before last.

Lorena had the best overall team last year but jst couldn't overcome LaGrange's Homer Bailey. they lost like 3-2 which aint bad considering the way Bailey dominated last season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.