Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I realize that the employee discount is not a scholarship. But, I'm wondering if a coach would want a player and find out the parent(s) work at Pitt and therefore the player would get a tuition discount that the coach would look at that as saving a scholarship for another player and then turnaround and offer the player with the tuition discount a walk-on status?

Thanks.
bonnie - I can see where you are going with this and it is a good question.

I would hold off sharing that card with the coach just yet. If you would like your son to attend Pitt, it might be better to have him attend several of their camps and first see if he can get an offer. If they call and offer a scholarship or recruited walk-on, then you can let them know how your status there can possibly help their program out. After attending their camps and you still don't get any interest, then it might be worthwhile contacting the coach and notifying him of this fact and see if that might in fact generate some interest.

The fact of him having other money available via the tuition discount will not provide much sway unless they see him first as a contributor to the program imho. It is kind of like a kid who has perfect SAT's and a perfect 4.0 GPA. It sure won't hurt their chances but at the end of the day they will have to first and foremost convince the coach they have the talent they are looking for.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think anyone from off the street can try to walk on. So an invited/recruited walk-on would be someone that the coach has invited to try out. So your friend's son's classification depends on how the coach views him.

I believe what ClevelandDad is suggesting is that your friend's son get himself into a position where the coach has a chance to evaluate him as to whether or not he could be a potential contributor to the team. First and foremost, the player has to be seen by the coach as someone who can help the team. If the coach likes him, and makes an offer (whether athletic scholarship or invited/recruited walk-on or whatever), then the fact that the young man has reduced tuition is gravy.

We are in a situation where 2B's grades will help him cover a significant portion of his tuition, perhaps even a full academic ride, especially if he stays in FL. So I have been doing a lot of thinking about the walk-on issue, because we are likely to face it if 2B stays in-state. But the fact that the coach won't have to provide a scholarship won't get him on the team. His ability to play has to do that. I wouldn't want him to play on a team just because he's "free." I would want him to play because the coach wanted him there and believed he could make a difference. And then let him try to earn the opportunity to do so.

Don't know if that helps, but there you go. Smile
In California, There is a network of colleges that have a tuition swap. Employees of certain universities can send their children to another college and have their tuition paid. We had a player who father was a professor at USC. If the kid went to USC his tuition is paid for. He wanted to continue to play baseball so he went to Whittier College which was part of the tuition swap. I know of another who's mom work at USC but plays baseball at Pepperdine and gets the tuition swap. It is not counted against scholarship money.
quote:
Originally posted by bonnie:
Thanks for all of your help.

This is actually not for my son. Someone asked me the question of how the player would be classified in this situation. Would they be listed as a walk-on or invited walk-on?

An invited walk-on, and yes, it would make a tremendous difference if you told the coach this up front. If the player is marginal, it could sway the coach into taking the player due to the cost savings and in that regard, these days, it makes a whale of a difference. I know two coaches at the collegiate level, and so I know what drives them and I talk to them all the time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.