Skip to main content

@PitchingFan posted:

RJM.  Ever heard of a kid by the name Bryce Harper.  His parents rented him out every week from the time he was 12 to 18.  He was a pay to play kid.  People and SI called them crazy but I'm guessing IMO it worked out pretty good for him financially.  Still don't care for his antics on the field like I didn't at 12 but oh well.  I'm not saying it will work out for this kid but there are plenty out there that it worked out for.  I'm also willing to bet the apartment they live in is very cheap in Valdosta Georgia.  They are a powerhouse for the past 30 years.  When Nick Hyder was alive, they pulled the same things back in the 80's so it is the school not the coach.  They are known for doing whatever it takes to win. 

Harper was seen as a potential once in a lifetime talent. There are other variables at play with this kid. I’m not going to get more into it. Let’s remember his name, if we can.

I’m going to stop posting on this subject. We’re breaking one of hsbaseballweb’s unwritten rules regarding discussing negatives of teen amateur athletes.

My excuse is I think the parents are crazy. While it’s only a paper transaction of convenience they must not have a lot of respect for their marriage. 

Last edited by RJM
@2022NYC posted:

His parents publicly admitted to a legal separation for the sole purpose of bypassing the transfer rule. Can the GHSA still go after them?

One can only hope so. Ban the kid from playing, maybe arrest the parents. God that would be great, and teach every parent who might consider giving their kid every opportunity, as long as they can afford it, a serious lesson.

What the hell is wrong with you people???

@keewart posted:

Should have just kept their mouths shut.  But the lure of national exposure through an ESPN article beckoned.  (Not advocating, just mentioning).

Do football players in high school have agents/advisors?  Just wondering.   

It was definitely a lay low situation. But the kid probably wanted all of the SEC and ACC to know he was in GA and check him out.

I don’t know about direct advisors. College is extending their amateur career three more years. However, I read the dad was a QB at Nebraska. He’s probably very tuned into advice connections. 

Last edited by RJM

An agenda? 

Jake Garcia who is the leading prospect at quarterback for the Miami Hurricanes in the Class of 2021 has been ruled ineligible by the Georgia High School Association according to a report by ESPN. Garcia who is currently committed to USC transferred from his home in California following the cancellation of their football season.

** As a side note are there any English teachers in the crowd cringing over this sentence? The person who wrote this is drawing a paycheck for this lack of writing skills. 

hawaii has a long lived pipeline to utah and nevada.  there's been a number of kids who have moved there over the years, looking for more exposure.  The current year's situation increased that number a little since Hawaii isn't playing until spring but Utah is playing now.  it isn't way off scale, though.  every year there's a couple who leave to play and attend school out of state.

@RJM posted:

An agenda? 

Jake Garcia who is the leading prospect at quarterback for the Miami Hurricanes in the Class of 2021 has been ruled ineligible by the Georgia High School Association according to a report by ESPN. Garcia who is currently committed to USC transferred from his home in California following the cancellation of their football season.

** As a side note are there any English teachers in the crowd cringing over this sentence? The person who wrote this is drawing a paycheck for this lack of writing skills. 

Well there is a god. Thank god this whole affront to all that is good has been brought to light. Let this be a lesson to any other young player who is pursuing their dreams to just don't. Can't they understand they are upsetting the sensibilities of woke people everywhere? Can Georgia pursue criminal charges against all involved? God I hope so.

ok, somebaseballdad.  I see where you got set off now.  I don't think this is an overwhelming group saying don't pursue your dreams.  That said, if I lived in California and they cancelled everything, (and we had the means to move somewhere for a year where my kids could actually attend school and play sports) I'd do it.  No excuses of a separation, but I see no problem with that at all.  I would likely never move back...

Last edited by baseballhs

Well there is a god. Thank god this whole affront to all that is good has been brought to light. Let this be a lesson to any other young player who is pursuing their dreams to just don't. Can't they understand they are upsetting the sensibilities of woke people everywhere? Can Georgia pursue criminal charges against all involved? God I hope so.

Step one of supporting your son’s dreams ....

Make a farce of your marriage. And yes, there could be charges to force the Garcia family to pay for attending school in Valdosta under false pretenses. It’s cheating the taxpayers of the town. 

To move somewhere to play legally and pursue the dream would be fine. My apologies. I’m just weird. I like to act legally and above board with integrity. All this kid had been taught is how to beat the system in a sly manner. It’s the lowest form of parenting.

Last edited by RJM

I wonder, on a side note, if the players from Hawaii can play in Utah then transfer back to Hawaii for the spring season. 

I think the only problem I have with Garcia playing is the marriage part.  But that opens a lot of cans that prevail into above reproach, cheating, and on and on.  If they just moved to Ga and were eligible to play without the divorce, temporary divorce, separation or whatever then it would be okay.  But that changes everything. 

@keewart posted:

Should have just kept their mouths shut.  But the lure of national exposure through an ESPN article beckoned.  (Not advocating, just mentioning).

Do football players in high school have agents/advisors?  Just wondering.   

I'm not sure I'd call them agents or advisors, maybe handlers? The more stars, the more the "handlers" are involved and get paid (by bagmen) just to set up visits. The few handlers I've met over the years were the scummiest dudes you could ever imagine. There was a blog a few years ago about college football recruiting and bagmen. I'll see if I can find it later.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.