Skip to main content

There's been a lot of discussion about the unfortunate circumstances the corona virus NCAA "do-over" will cause to current college players, incoming classes, and future recruiting classes.

But what about coaches at schools that, by and large, can't take advantage of players' 5th year.  Ivy's and Patriot league don't allow red shirts.  Most D3s are so darned expensive and the students are so "40 year focused" that a 5th year isn't likely for most.  

So how does a coach fill the 2021 class if this summer is shut down?  Can they afford to wait till the Fall and hope for the best?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure what you mean by "Ivy's and Patriot league don't allow red shirts". Red shirt just means you weren't charged a year of NCAA eligibility. I don't know about Patriot but Ivy doesn't allow graduate students to play sports. So if you missed a year (injury, COVID-19, etc.) you still have a year of eligibility. However, if you graduate, you must play your final year(s) elsewhere.

Of course none of that really has anything to do with 2021 recruiting. Quite a few Ivy schools have 2021 commits already and most have prospects they are following closely. I'm sure the same could be said of Patriot schools. I'm sure D3's are communicating with many recruits as well. Of course they may not get a chance to see them as much as they wanted to this summer. Keep your fingers crossed for a good fall season if the summer doesn't happen or starts very late.

So if you have a 2021 he had better be communicating with those coaches and sending video if he has it.

I went through my notes (son was 2019 recruited by Ivy's and Patriot, among others) and the summer going into senior year was big.  Most of the schools had a small handful of commits at that point and used the summer to get more looks, make offers and stock up.  I looked at Perfect Game and they show very few 2021 commits for Ivy or Patriot at this point.  Sure they have been tracking players but most haven't been seen since Fall of their junior years and typically they'd use the following summer to make final decisions.  I think they are in a bind as far as finding the best talent available.

This is the exact profile of our son, and this is precisely what he’s doing.  Lots of emails, lots of video.  Updates as progress is made.  Given circumstances, he would rather over communicate than under.  From the looks of it many coaches already stating that they’ll have limited or perhaps no on-campus camps.  And they are posting a limited schedule of HA (Showball or HF) camps they’ll be aiming to attend.  

While they may not have many commitments, they definitely have a list (fairly large) of targets going into the summer. They have to wait until then (esp. Ivy's) in order for junior grades to be posted. Early commits are generally those who fit or exceed the academic profile or are really good ballplayers whose academics can be offset by future academic recruits. I think that's changing a bit for some Ivy schools (Penn) as they seem to be committing players early.

The biggest challenge to these schools is most D1-type ballplayers are unwilling to wait that long and will commit elsewhere before the summer or will get snatched up in early summer. COVID-19 may actually help schools this year as long as they had previously worked hard and identified recruits last fall or over the winter. Meaning those recruits will not get picked up by other schools. For the rest of their roster they need to see the grades because they HAVE to be able to balance out their academic index (Ivy's).

I think if you started a dialog and send meaningful video you can hope to get on their "to see" list. Then you need to show up when you attend one of those limited events. But again, a good recruiting coordinator has definitely already identified many recruits. It's just that a number of them get crossed off because they either committed elsewhere or their academics didn't hold up.

Believe me, it's tough for a player to ignore or string along other schools because he's waiting to hear back or get a commitment from one of these schools. These other schools don't want to hear "no, I'm not ready" or "I need to think about it a while longer." My son went through this last year. So if you fit the description, have the grades and are willing to sacrifice for your dream school, you may get it. Or not. Then I would recommend having a sound plan B which includes HA D3 schools. But that could be a very tough pill to swallow, especially if you turned down a 4 year offer to a highly regarded academic mid major! It's a very tough path.

ABSORBER posted:

While they may not have many commitments, they definitely have a list (fairly large) of targets going into the summer. They have to wait until then (esp. Ivy's) in order for junior grades to be posted. Early commits are generally those who fit or exceed the academic profile or are really good ballplayers whose academics can be offset by future academic recruits. I think that's changing a bit for some Ivy schools (Penn) as they seem to be committing players early.

The biggest challenge to these schools is most D1-type ballplayers are unwilling to wait that long and will commit elsewhere before the summer or will get snatched up in early summer. COVID-19 may actually help schools this year as long as they had previously worked hard and identified recruits last fall or over the winter. Meaning those recruits will not get picked up by other schools. For the rest of their roster they need to see the grades because they HAVE to be able to balance out their academic index (Ivy's).

I think if you started a dialog and send meaningful video you can hope to get on their "to see" list. Then you need to show up when you attend one of those limited events. But again, a good recruiting coordinator has definitely already identified many recruits. It's just that a number of them get crossed off because they either committed elsewhere or their academics didn't hold up.

Believe me, it's tough for a player to ignore or string along other schools because he's waiting to hear back or get a commitment from one of these schools. These other schools don't want to hear "no, I'm not ready" or "I need to think about it a while longer." My son went through this last year. So if you fit the description, have the grades and are willing to sacrifice for your dream school, you may get it. Or not. Then I would recommend having a sound plan B which includes HA D3 schools. But that could be a very tough pill to swallow, especially if you turned down a 4 year offer to a highly regarded academic mid major! It's a very tough path.

This is all spot on.  Another crazy wrinkle to this is standardized tests.  Our guy took them in Oct & Dec and got to the place he needed for these schools. But that process has been delayed as well.  Spring ACT was delayed as will June SAT.  So does that give the kid with good test scores an advantage?   Or good grades before many schools went to p/f?  And what about Subject tests which are generally required for Ivy’s AI?  All TBD.  We know our son is in many radars given last years performance on HA circuit.  He has grades, test scores and was just waiting to show off the improved Velo, exit Velo.  Will have to see if he has chance to do so, but he knows if it happens he’s going to have to be very ready. 

ABSORBER posted:

^^This.  The Ivy and Patriot coaches have recruiting lists "up the wazoo" because they have to.  Lots and lots of contact with recruits, but very few ever see serious interest by Ivy or Patriot schools.   I see the D3 HA schools being somewhat behind in their recruiting efforts given their later recruiting calendar.   Remember, all of these schools recruit and attend national showcases everywhere and are in contact with many, many recruits.   So, if your son was seen by one of these schools last year (before Covid) it is worth reaching out to these coaches to see where they are in their process.    The Ivy and Patriot schools will have an advantage over the D3 HA schools in almost all cases due to the timing of all of this.  Keep in mind, some of the Ivy schools also allow for JUCO transfers.   

As I see it there is more of an economic problem if anything.  These schools are not inexpensive.   There is a fair amount of need based financial aid, but the middle class family that may have been interested/qualified may look elsewhere because of economic uncertainty.   Low income folks get a lot of financial aid and high income folks can afford it.   It is the middle class that gets squeezed, and some may consider other options.

The supply of roster spots at these schools is pretty small and I still see the demand as being pretty strong.  Although some of these schools are a great place to hedge becoming a professional athlete, most people attend  to go professional in something other than sports.   Demand will remain strong even through this crisis.  Coaches may get more involved in financially qualifying their recruits when it comes to offer time.

As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Wechson posted:
This is all spot on.  Another crazy wrinkle to this is standardized tests.  Our guy took them in Oct & Dec and got to the place he needed for these schools. But that process has been delayed as well.  Spring ACT was delayed as will June SAT.  So does that give the kid with good test scores an advantage?   Or good grades before many schools went to p/f?  And what about Subject tests which are generally required for Ivy’s AI?  All TBD.  We know our son is in many radars given last years performance on HA circuit.  He has grades, test scores and was just waiting to show off the improved Velo, exit Velo.  Will have to see if he has chance to do so, but he knows if it happens he’s going to have to be very ready. 

I definitely don't know how the delay of standardized testing will affect recruiting because I really have no clue how it will affect admissions. My son had the grades, not the test scores which in some ways was better for him. It shows coaches the player has a work ethic and so perhaps won't be a problem for them once he gets to class. Of course test scores are important because of the academic index. So having good test scores means you don't have to worry about the effects of testing delays. Good grades prior to p/f shows you did all you could while p/f doesn't show anything.

Test scores don't really give an advantage to one player over another; they just won't exclude you from consideration. They will always take the better player as long as his grades and test scores fit the bill. And what happens when a really good player has less than optimal grades and scores? They will offset him by taking a player with really good tests and scores, and if there are more than one of these that fit the bill, they will take the best player amongst those.

I'm pretty sure subject tests are really only required by Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. And even then they said there weren't really required but rather they wanted you to do them because they wanted you to show that you performed the same admissions practices as regular students.

I would think subjects tests will be the first to go due to COVID-19.

ABSORBER posted:
Wechson posted:

I definitely don't know how the delay of standardized testing will affect recruiting because I really have no clue how it will affect admissions. My son had the grades, not the test scores which in some ways was better for him. It shows coaches the player has a work ethic and so perhaps won't be a problem for them once he gets to class. Of course test scores are important because of the academic index. So having good test scores means you don't have to worry about the effects of testing delays. Good grades prior to p/f shows you did all you could while p/f doesn't show anything.

Test scores don't really give an advantage to one player over another; they just won't exclude you from consideration. They will always take the better player as long as his grades and test scores fit the bill. And what happens when a really good player has less than optimal grades and scores? They will offset him by taking a player with really good tests and scores, and if there are more than one of these that fit the bill, they will take the best player amongst those.

I'm pretty sure subject tests are really only required by Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. And even then they said there weren't really required but rather they wanted you to do them because they wanted you to show that you performed the same admissions practices as regular students.

I would think subjects tests will be the first to go due to COVID-19.

Agree with all of this and what @fenwaysouth had to say.  Never easy.  This year will be particularly wonky.  Hard to know if our son has advantages or disadvantages based on all of this.  We shall see, all he can do is keep working and stay ready. 

Many HAs are now waiving SAT/ACT for the 2021 class:  Williams, Amherst, Tufts, Northeastern, Boston University, Vassar, Pomona, Davidson, Haverford, Rhodes, UCal system, Scripps, Trinity Texas, Tulane, Case Western, Swarthmore, and more.  No doubt others will add to the list, since the June SAT is now cancelled.  Ivies still require them, as of right now, but that could change.  I don't know if this helps or hurts athletic recruits; I guess if you already had a high test score, it could help.  I agree that subject tests are about to go the way of the dinosaur, they were almost completely meaningless anyway.

Many HA D3s and even some D1s (Davidson, William and Mary) have rosters that have a lot of in-state or fairly local players, I would think that recruiting for these schools will just be even more local this year.  Then it can be based on camps, watching local summer-ball games, and contacts with local coaches.  Don't know how that works for Ivies, whose reach is more national.

Last edited by anotherparent

I think/hope that if you took them and you did well, it will help.  

One thing I'm curious about, along the lines you are thinking, is if there will be more localized assement type scenarios.  Not even on campus. Just meet at a local park and do timed drills, BP, bullpens.  That sort of thing.  At a certain point you'd think that coaches are going to have to go off of more than just video, or even recommendations from travel coaches.  They'll want some way to see the kid in person, meet the kid, etc.  If the summer camps are limited, I wonder if this will become something that takes place. I know I would if I were recruiting.  Obviously not optimal, but given how limited the traditional system will be, I suspect this level of personal recruiting will have to be considered. 

Smitty28 posted:

I went through my notes (son was 2019 recruited by Ivy's and Patriot, among others) and the summer going into senior year was big.  Most of the schools had a small handful of commits at that point and used the summer to get more looks, make offers and stock up.  I looked at Perfect Game and they show very few 2021 commits for Ivy or Patriot at this point. 

Not all Ivy League players do Perfect Game events. Also some who do, don't list them self  as "PG commit" until receiving acceptance from school or at least the Likely letter.

Wechson posted:
ABSORBER posted:

All Good points. The fact that Ivy League looks for D1 level players who have taken a difficult challenging curriculum really comes into play. Even if your HS courses are now perhaps P/F, the AP's you took jr/senior year are still "AP's". The college board is still giving AP Exams, albeit without multiple choice. My AP stats exam is a few days after the seniors last day of school with a make-up in June. Apparently just over 2/3 of the AP students surveyed nationally still wanted an semblance of a AP exam.

Ripken Fan posted:
Smitty28 posted:

I went through my notes (son was 2019 recruited by Ivy's and Patriot, among others) and the summer going into senior year was big.  Most of the schools had a small handful of commits at that point and used the summer to get more looks, make offers and stock up.  I looked at Perfect Game and they show very few 2021 commits for Ivy or Patriot at this point. 

Not all Ivy League players do Perfect Game events. Also some who do, don't list them self  as "PG commit" until receiving acceptance from school or at least the Likely letter.

No, but from what I can tell the only school that really seems to try to get the jump on this process is Penn.  Most of the other schools follow along the timeline @Smitty28 outlined.  No Ivy or Patriot school will have over half of their commits.   Most probably 2-3 tops. Just given the grades and testing alone they have to wait, suspect it’s fairly routine for a percentage of kids who were trending well academically to slip Junior year when the curriculum intensifies.  And don’t think there will be a ton of kids returning ether, but that’s TBD.  All in all I think there will be over 3/4 of the slots left and very limited ways to test the athletes like they have in summers past.  Don’t know how that will impact the decision making process or timeline, but it has to have SOME impact. 

Wechson posted:
Ripken Fan posted:
Smitty28 posted:

No, but from what I can tell the only school that really seems to try to get the jump on this process is Penn.  Most of the other schools follow along the timeline @Smitty28 outlined.  . 

Penn typically does have the earliest commits/posting particularly with pitchers. Brown publicizes their recruiting class members the earliest.

Ripken Fan posted:
Wechson posted:
Ripken Fan posted:
Smitty28 posted:

No, but from what I can tell the only school that really seems to try to get the jump on this process is Penn.  Most of the other schools follow along the timeline @Smitty28 outlined.  . 

Penn typically does have the earliest commits/posting particularly with pitchers. Brown publicizes their recruiting class members the earliest.

Right now, PG has 2021 commitments listed as:

Holy Cross: 0

Brown: 1

Penn: 7

Ripken Fan posted:

Not last year! They were the last to post. At least on PG. I didn't check PBR last year.

Looks like Penn won't sweat this year as they already have 8.  Don't think I'd plan on attending any camps for them if I were a 2021.

anotherparent posted:

…………………………………………………...

Many HA D3s and even some D1s (Davidson, William and Mary) have rosters that have a lot of in-state or fairly local players, I would think that recruiting for these schools will just be even more local this year.  Then it can be based on camps, watching local summer-ball games, and contacts with local coaches.  Don't know how that works for Ivies, whose reach is more national.

This is a great point anotherparent!  If I was a HA recruit, I'd pay particular attention to this point with these D1 HA schools that you've mentioned and others like them (Northwestern come to mind).

leftymagic posted:

Several of the Ivies and W&L have canceled summer camps.  Looks like HeadFirst and Showball will be key.  

Some other schools are not charging a deposit to give both camp and attendee more time to see what the virus does.

I can’t imagine summer ball will be full swing before July.  Right now, I’d say it is 50:50 on WWBA in Atl...

HF has a camp in September.  This might be a last chance scenario for everyone involved if the summer events are canceled.  I hope HF is ready for the biggest event they've ever held.

I've been following the Ivys for a while.  Penn has a tendency to get players to verbally commit early in the process.  This year is no exception based on Absorber's list (above)

Don't let this list bother your son especially if he is talking to multiple Ivys.   I've yet to see how getting early recruits has helped Penn get an advantage or win championships over the last 11 years.   

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
fenwaysouth posted:

I've been following the Ivys for a while.  Penn has a tendency to get players to verbally commit early in the process.  This year is no exception based on Absorber's list (above)

Don't let this list bother your son especially if he is talking to multiple Ivys.   I've yet to see how getting early recruits has helped Penn get an advantage or win championships over the last 11 years.   

Thanks for posting that! Looks fairly even, perhaps we should go back another 10 years! Since your son played during these years at Cornell, what's your opinion on Columbia? They seem to have done pretty well. I do know they do take transfer students but have no idea whether they had any impact at all.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing a flurry of emails from coaches at high academic D1s and D3s advising that they are going to primarily do their recruiting at Showball events and listing them out.  These are coming from coaches (so far at least 5 in different parts of the country) who had already indicated that my son was on their "board" or "follow list," etc., for the summer and asked for his (pre-Covid19) summer schedule.

LuckyCat posted:

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing a flurry of emails from coaches at high academic D1s and D3s advising that they are going to primarily do their recruiting at Showball events and listing them out.  These are coming from coaches (so far at least 5 in different parts of the country) who had already indicated that my son was on their "board" or "follow list," etc., for the summer and asked for his (pre-Covid19) summer schedule.

Yup.  Seems to be the arrangement. Not sure why it's all firm on Showball as opposed to HF, but those are the emails our son has been receiving as well. 

Yes, it seems like Showball has locked something down with some schools.  The emails are strangely similar -- listing out the events locations and dates, although they also contain more personalized information from the coach.  I'm really wondering what this means for Head First, which was the showcase camp my son was planning to attend at the end of the summer.  The emails imply, rather than explicitly state, that Showball may be the only place they will get to see my son.

LuckyCat posted:

Yes, it seems like Showball has locked something down with some schools.  The emails are strangely similar -- listing out the events locations and dates, although they also contain more personalized information from the coach.  I'm really wondering what this means for Head First, which was the showcase camp my son was planning to attend at the end of the summer.  The emails imply, rather than explicitly state, that Showball may be the only place they will get to see my son.

Same deal.  I know they compete with on another, and that Showball bills itself as the one where they have Head Coaches, as opposed to a mix of Head and Assistant/RC's.  Certainly seems like a coordinated push.  

ABSORBER posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

………………………………………..

Thanks for posting that! Looks fairly even, perhaps we should go back another 10 years! Since your son played during these years at Cornell, what's your opinion on Columbia? They seem to have done pretty well. I do know they do take transfer students but have no idea whether they had any impact at all.

Columbia has been the 800lb gorilla the last 10 years, and they continue to be unless someone takes their spot.   They are extremely well coached, and have had some great athletes play for them and get drafted.   One of their starting baseball players was also the starting goalie on their soccer team.   He was 6'6" with this big lefty upper cut swing, and Columbia has a very short center field.   He was a very physically imposing guy.   I saw him hit a baseball into orbit at the University of Richmond when my son was there on a recruiting trip.  It was a freaking blast over the parking lot!   Fast forward a couple years, and my son is a freshmen when he faces this same guy @ Columbia and to say I was concerned for his health is an understatement.   My son was sitting next to me at the Richmond game and he remembered this guy...he's kind of hard to forget!   The first time through the lineup he struck him out on high cheese and the second time on a change up.   I was very relieved.

I'm actually pretty surprised Boretti is still there.   He must really like it there.   Dartmouth was the 800lb gorilla the previous 10 years before Columbia when my son was being recruited by a few of the Ivys.  Transfers are a fairly new thing in the ivy (based on what I've been told) and I don't recall Columbia or Dartmouth having any notable transfers at the time my son played....I'm too lazy to look at their rosters.    They did have one guy who had served in the Army who went back to college, and was like 28 years old when he graduated.   He was a very good player for them.

Smitty28 posted:

Columbia seemed to be at all the big tournaments when my son was going through the process.  I saw them at WWBA in GA, Jupiter, USA Baseball in AZ.  They seemed to be more active (certainly more visible) than other Ivy's.

They were the first Ivy to show interest in my son and the first to invite him to visit. They were at the PBR Future Games and definitely they attend WWBA events.

As I stated earlier--my son did not attend a HF event although I've heard they are good. But if it were me, I would always attend Showball over HF, especially if you are interested in Ivy or other HA D1 schools.  Ultimately head coaches make offers, even if they come to you via an assistant coach.

My suspicion is the $ paid to head coaches is better at Showball; perhaps due to less overhead.  That's just my opinion but there must be something to get that many coaches at the same event. The head guy is a good guy so I'm sure that's part of it also! He was very good to my son; he gave him a slot at his position even though the camp was 100% full last summer.

fenwaysouth posted:

They did have one guy who had served in the Army who went back to college, and was like 28 years old when he graduated.   He was a very good player for them.

Not sure if you are referring to the former Marine who played a few years ago; he was a transfer and he was indeed older. He was also drafted (baseball)! Columbia has been good to veterans--in fact all the Ivy's have probably increased their veteran numbers over the last decade.

Wechson posted:

Same deal.  I know they compete with on another, and that Showball bills itself as the one where they have Head Coaches, as opposed to a mix of Head and Assistant/RC's.  Certainly seems like a coordinated push.  

I remember several years ago my son got a letter (in the mail!) from a coach, saying they were interested, and he should go to xxx showcase, which was a regional one.  He was a sophomore, this was a D1 school.  We didn't know what to think (had not yet found hsbbw).  Then he got another identical letter from a different school, for the same showcase, so we figured it was just a form letter.  So, he didn't go, and since he never heard from either of them again, I assume we were right.  That showcase organization had obviously sent their list to the attending schools, and told them to try to drum up business.  It's a clever marketing model.

I'm not saying that that is what Showball is doing, and honestly, I'd think there is plenty of HA business to go around, if they even get to hold these events.  I'd say that if you are already in communication with a coach, tell them that you had originally planned to attend Headfirst, for xxx reason, and ask which they prefer.  If they are genuinely interested, they will tell you.

anotherparent posted:

That showcase organization had obviously sent their list to the attending schools, and told them to try to drum up business.  It's a clever marketing model.

I think it's probably the other way around. Schools obtain those lists from the showcase companies. Your camp invite to their school comes from that list.

ABSORBER posted:
anotherparent posted:

That showcase organization had obviously sent their list to the attending schools, and told them to try to drum up business.  It's a clever marketing model.

I think it's probably the other way around. Schools obtain those lists from the showcase companies. Your camp invite to their school comes from that list.

And of course if we are talking about HF I would imagine coaches do try to drum up business for HF because they stand to make more money. Most coaches at HF (from what have seen) are volunteer assistants.

ABSORBER posted:
ABSORBER posted:
anotherparent posted:

And of course if we are talking about HF I would imagine coaches do try to drum up business for HF because they stand to make more money. Most coaches at HF (from what have seen) are volunteer assistants.

Of course schools also get lists from the showcase companies.  But these were mailings from individual college coaches inviting him to a multi-school showcase (not Headfirst), run by a third-party company. Not to their own camps.

No coach ever asked my son to go to either Headfirst or Showball.  All his invitations to Headfirst came directly from Headfirst, and same with Showball.  That was a couple of years ago.  If now head coaches are telling people to go to Showball, then that's different from what my son experienced - maybe it's the shutdown, maybe it's marketing.  

I think your experience was more with D1s, our was with D3s.  My son was seen by some D3 head coaches at Headfirst, and got offers (of admission slots) even though he was seen by ACs there.  It worked for him.

anotherparent posted:
ABSORBER posted:
ABSORBER posted:
anotherparent posted:

Of course schools also get lists from the showcase companies.  But these were mailings from individual college coaches inviting him to a multi-school showcase (not Headfirst), run by a third-party company. Not to their own camps.

No coach ever asked my son to go to either Headfirst or Showball.  All his invitations to Headfirst came directly from Headfirst, and same with Showball.  That was a couple of years ago.  If now head coaches are telling people to go to Showball, then that's different from what my son experienced - maybe it's the shutdown, maybe it's marketing.  

I think your experience was more with D1s, our was with D3s.  My son was seen by some D3 head coaches at Headfirst, and got offers (of admission slots) even though he was seen by ACs there.  It worked for him.

The coaches reaching out to recruits saying they're going to be at Showball events is new, and absolutely due to the situation.  Essentially them saying that pre-Corona they had planned on a broader recruiting schedule, including campus run events, but now the only thing they are committing to is going to go to these 6-8 Showball events.  And if you want to be seen, providing they aren't closed due to government mandate, that's where they're saying they'll be.  At first I thought it was a one off, but as someone else noted our son has received essentially the same message and schedule from a few different HC's now. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.