Skip to main content

Grandview cuts Conchs' season short
BY PAUL DEHNER JR.

Citizen Staff

KEY WEST — The food was cooking, the teams were in the dugouts and the fans were rolling into Rex Weech Field Saturday night, but the Key West High School baseball team's regular season came to a premature end.

Grandview Prep canceled the second game of the series, final game of the regular season and Senior Night for Key West just 30 minutes before the scheduled game time due to an incident which occurred early Saturday morning at the Key West High bunk room.

After losing to the Conchs 11-1 Friday night, the Pride, which only dress 10 players, were staying in the high school bunk room when police were called. A police report was not made available by press time, but according to sources, police were called to investigate alleged illegal activity at the bunk room.

All gameday activities continued to go on Saturday and the game was to believed to still be played, but as administrators at Grandview were contacted about the situation, they made the decision to not allow those players involved to play in the game, forcing the forfeit.

"We had to take disciplinary actions on the select students involved," Grandview Prep principal Jackie Westerfield said. "We are truly sorry this had to happen, but we had to do the right thing. It is an unfortunate thing to have happen, but we can't bend the rules."

The team, instead, honored its eight seniors and played an intrasquad scrimmage. But the cancellation left the Conchs without an opponent and the school out of the revenue a Saturday night home finale would create. Assistant coach and assistant principal Chris Valdez said the amount of restitution desired would be $2,500.

"We will make restitution for costs resulting from the cancellation that are reasonable and fair," Westerfield said.

What can't be replaced is the memories lost on what was supposed to be a special night for Key West seniors. Chas Spottswood was set to start the game for the final time at the Rex. Now, his only chance to take the home hill will be if the Conchs win the district tournament this week and earn two home regional games.

"I was pretty mad," Spottswood said. "It was my last regular season home game. I was really looking forward to it, but we are going to have another home game. I will be pitching here again."

Key West coach Ralph Henriquez hopes that will also be the case, but couldn't hide his disappointment with the situation.

"It is very disappointing that kids behaved in that fashion and that there is no excuse for what happened," he said. "Our kids have to pay the consequences, they were excited about senior night. It is just a totally unacceptable situation."

The situation caused the third Conch game cancellation this year because of off-the-field the issues. A rematch of an early-season loss to Miami Southridge, which involved altercations between the squads, wasn't played because of a fear for players' safety. Also, the third game in the team's trip to Atlanta was also canceled due to a dispute between the president of the East Cobb Baseball Complex in Marietta, Ga. and a Key West parent.

Key West's next game will be Wednesday at 3 p.m. at Archbishop Carroll in the district semifinal against the winner of Coral Shores and Ransom Everglades. The winner will qualify for the state tournament.

pdehner@keysnews.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Our HS team used to go to Key West every year until some of the parents went with the team and realized that is was not a great situation for them, especially our JV team. As a matter of fact, the last year, some of our boys got into trouble for violating curfew.
We also felt that the Key West crowd was very unfriendly and unreasonable. One year we had to move the boys out of the bunks to a hotel due to poor conditions and Key West would not even put up the tab. It cost us another 600 dollars.
After considering all of the circumstances and costs, we as parents supporting the booster club refused to spend the money.
Soxnole,
I myself are wondering why you would make commets about a team you obviously know nothing about. How do you know if they are inferior competition?
And bbrulz, don't know why you had to mention the #13 ranked player by name, but since you did, that "little sisters" team has a first or second round draft pick on it.
Last edited by TPM
It was an unfortunate situation that was caused by a lack of supervision by the visting coach. As far as playing the sisters of the poor, that is not the case at all. By the way Westminter Christian is awful this year and we have played them. Grandview Prep has a pretty good team, but they did leave two players at home. Also, why should Key West pay for you guys to stay in a hotel when they pay teams to come down here and play them. And if your kids got in trouble breaking curfew I don't think that is Key West's fault. As far as the fans go, they get a little wild but it is nothing worse than what you will see at Clemson.
Coach,
Did I mention it was Key West's fault our boys got in trouble?

Clemson fans can be really tough on their opponents, I agree, but this was a HIGH SCHOOL game. As parents, we got a better reception when we went to FSU this year (yes, soxnole they were very nice to us, we sat with FSU fans and we had fun). In Key West they treated us like we were aliens.

Key West never paid our team to come play, it was sponsored by our booster club and then supplemented by the parents, to the tune of about 2 grand, food not included. The last season we went there, they were redoing the bunks, and had not finished. Since they asked us to bring our JV to play theirs to get the most out of the weekend, they should have made sure the accomodations were ready.
Don't understand the dressing of only 10 players, we brought everyone, about 28 kids between varsity and JV, but that was quite a while ago.
It wasn't a curfew issue...they were definitely in the bunk room on time. The problem was with what they were doing in the bunk room.

Tigerpawmom, I have always read your posts with respect. You are kind, respectful and usually fair but I'm gonna challenge you on this one.

How long ago did you visit our fair island? Yes, we have rowdy fans but that is why most teams want to come play us. Most opposing teams relish the excitement and opportunity to play in front of a large crowd. Some teams like to come to prepare for playoff atmosphere.

And, wow....how on earth did Key West get your players in trouble? Sounds like an overprotective mom to me.

And, finally, our bunkrooms were newly rebuilt last summer and furnished with a large screen TV and coach's quarters.
Last edited by Ace
Tiger Paw Mom, When I coached football at American Heritage (JV) we went down to play the conchs and an all out brawl ensued. 80 football players running around out of control. Fans were mean! One of Heritage players and one of Key West's players got into it and the benches cleared. Crazy!

Back to last weekend. The 3 players in question were busted hitting the "wacky tabacky". It was not their best player just so that he doesn't get smeared here. The coach was fired over the ordeal because he should have been with the players and was not. I also understand that 2 players did not accompany the team.

Soxnole, it is a very small school, very small! It has good academics.
Last edited by Bighit15
Ace,
I see that Bighit understands what I was saying. Once again I repeat, I NEVER said that it was KEY WEST'S fault our boys got in a bit of trouble.
My posts were my take on the whole situation, and many of our other parents as well. We worked hard at raising money and we just felt, with all the circumstances, it wasn't worth it.
Our last trip was when my son was a junior, that was two years ago.
Don't take what happened to us there personally. Smile You have a great baseball program down there. Khalil Greene is one of your finest examples!
Last edited by TPM
Bighit,

Yes, our fans are rowdy. But CERTAINLY we have been on the end of very mean (personal attacks)harassment when we have traveled...there just aren't as many fans there to do it.

And I can't believe that the Key West players were brawling with themselves. It takes two to tango.

Could it be that your kids aren't used to the large rowdy crowds and can't handle it? I'm sure the experience was good for them in the long run.
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
Coach,

Clemson fans can be really tough on their opponents, I agree, but this was a HIGH SCHOOL game. As parents, we got a better reception when we went to FSU this year (yes, soxnole they were very nice to us, we sat with FSU fans and we had fun). In Key West they treated us like we were aliens.

Did I originally say kids or parents didn't like it.
Please do not take what I said out of context.
Ace, it is time to work on your reading comprehension. At no point did I point blame at the Key West players. Read this slowly so you will understand.
quote:
When I coached football at American Heritage (JV) we went down to play the conchs and an all out brawl ensued. 80 football players running around out of control. Fans were mean! One of Heritage players and one of Key West's players got into it and the benches cleared. Crazy!

At what point in that did I say it was Key west players fault? I didn't. I told a story that I saw happen with my own eyes. I did not blame anybody. I thought the whole thing was out of control. Don't put words in my mouth and take the chip off of your shoulder. Thou doth protest too much. I am sure if you are from Key West, the fans are fine. Others don't always see it that way. You are entitled to not agree. Just don't take it personally and start throwing around comments like "Could it be that your kids aren't used to the large rowdy crowds and can't handle it?" You admit that the fans are rowdy. I agree with you. What is the problem?

If you want to accuse people of saying something, make sure that they say it.
I apologize for any misunderstanding. I interpreted tigerpawmom's statement "Did I mention it was Key West's fault that our boys got in trouble?" as..."Have I mentioned yet that it was Key West's fault..."

That is a problem with reading someone's thoughts rather than hearing them speak and seeing their body language. It also seemed to me that you were endorsing her position that Key West is a bad place to play.

If that was not your position, then I do apologize.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.