Skip to main content

Many players and parents will be faced with college or pro decisions in the near future. Let me give you my feelings of what has happened to my son over his last three years of college and his subsequent decision to turn pro after his junior year of college. Three years ago my son went to college to play baseball. Of course during his tenure as a baseball player he had to get an education or at least a partial education. He had to take English, History, and other required subjects but his real major always seemed elusive. Some players major in engineering, some in business, and some like my son, jokingly say they are majoring in eligibility. While I don’t necessarily approve of his major I also know he’s gotten an education of sorts from college. There is another thread that discusses what challenges all incoming freshmen will be faced with. I believe the forced resolution of those challenges will be an education in itself. The pro/college debate will continue for eons and each should be left to choose their route. But I also think there are players and parents like myself that didn’t (or won’t) consider the education a college student/athlete receives outside the classroom when they weigh their options. This “education” may not produce a diploma in business or engineering but it does provide and education in life. There will be those that could say the same about the education received playing professional baseball but I know the environment and the “course of study” is not the same. Should the parents and the players consider the environment they are about to enter when the time comes to go to college or turn pro? I say...YES THEY SHOULD!
Just my opinion.
Fungo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The value of "no regrets" is impossible to measure. But those who can say it at the end -- whether they went pro or not -- always seem to have an advantage.

You took the offer and, with no regrets, I hope he has a 50-year career in baseball.

If something happens, with no regrets, he can always finish that college education.

All that's left is to say congratulations and good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.