Skip to main content

Son is a 2024 RHP.  Had a summer good enough to gather some high level D1 follows and lots of camp invites. Sat 86-88mph in games but recently penned a 91(via Trackman) with 2500+ spin rate. Jumped 7mph in a year. His coaches generally agree he will throw 95+ just by growing and getting stronger. 6'1"/175lbs now.

However, only one school, a mid-major, has reached out, via his HS coach. They've offered him 50%, with high likelihood of another 30-40% coming from academics (he's a great student).

I know the portal is jammed with players and any D1 slot is a good slot, so we are extremely grateful.

But I have a few questions:

- is it normal for only one school to be interested in a player? Cant help but feel that something is missing. How can one school be so interested and no one else is?

- should we hire a consultant to help market him? He's DMed video of his recent pen to 6-7 other schools but has not heard back. Most were mid-majors, just a couple P5's.

- I believe 50% is a good offer for a PO, can anyone confirm?

He likes the school but isn't sure if he'll gel with the HC, who is a bit old school. They have a very good track record of developing pitchers, up to the MLB level.

#highqualityproblems

Thanks so much HSBBW!

Last edited by SpeedDemon
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Only one D1 offer means either one coach is ahead of the curve and everyone else has it wrong or he’s not really projected as D1 ready.

Do you understand a certain academic level is required to get both athletic and a academic money? Is he at that level? Don’t worry about what percentage is athletic and academic. Consider the total package. My kids received 25% athletic and 50% academic. The more athletic money the coach has left over the happier he will be. He can pursues more talent.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t hire a consultant. He hasn’t been along for the ride. Getting a player connected to college programs is the travel coaching staff’s job.

Does your son believe he can tolerate the head coach? They’re typically not as nice once recruiting is over. Unless the pitching coach has been there forever they often come and go. If the program is mediocre staffs get fired. Up and coming coaches move up and on.

My son’s college head coach was described by a tv announcer as old school. The announcer said, “He shows up for work, opens the briefcase, stays focused, throws the win in his briefcase, closes it and goes home. Most of his players play the same way.” They did enjoy playing. Winning is fun. But my son was a head coach’s son through 16u. It requires being a team role model.

While aspiring to become a major leaguer is great with one mid major interested your son is far removed from the dream. It doesn’t mean it can’t happen. But he should be thinking forty year plan not four year plan. Only top shelf high school pro prospects should be thinking three/four year plan before being drafted. It appears this is the right school for the forty year plan.

An additional piece of advice: Research how the school that made the offer has been using the transfer portal the past couple of years.

@RJM posted:

Only one D1 offer means either one coach is ahead of the curve and everyone else has it wrong or he’s not really projected as D1 ready.

Do you understand a certain academic level is required to get both athletic and a academic money? Is he at that level? Don’t worry about what percentage is athletic and academic. Consider the total package. My kids received 25% athletic and 50% academic. The more athletic money the coach has left over the happier he will be. He can pursues more talent.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t hire a consultant. He hasn’t been along for the ride. Getting a player connected to college programs is the travel coaching staff’s job.

Does your son believe he can tolerate the head coach? They’re typically not as nice once recruiting is over. Unless the pitching coach has been there forever they often come and go. If the program is mediocre staffs get fired. Up and coming coaches move up and on.

My son’s college head coach was described by a tv announcer as old school. The announcer said, “He shows up for work, opens the briefcase, stays focused, throws the win in his briefcase, closes it and goes home. Most of his players play the same way.” They did enjoy playing. Winning is fun. But my son was a head coach’s son through 16u. It requires being a team role model.

While aspiring to become a major leaguer is great with one mid major interested your son is far removed from the dream. It doesn’t mean it can’t happen. But he should be thinking forty year plan not four year plan. Only top shelf high school pro prospects should be thinking three/four year plan before being drafted. It appears this is the right school for the forty year plan.

An additional piece of advice: Research how the school that made the offer has been using the transfer portal the past couple of years.

Hey this is great. Thanks so much.

We used to think he was big league talent, until he started playing against future big league talent; we were all quickly humbled.

Now we are grateful for any opportunity to play in college. Thanks again for the input.  

@TPM posted:

Since recruiting players is often based regionally or geographically  it's hard to tell what having only 1 D1 program interested means since your location is listed as USA.

So I would not jump on any offer or hire anyone to market your 2024 son at this time.

JMO

Thanks.
We’re based in Central California.

He’s targeted colleges mostly on the West Coast.

@RJM posted:

Feels like I've bragged enough, but since people have asked: he has a 4.8 GPA and a 1520 SAT.

Ivies have expressed interest, but he is dead set on staying on the West Coast.

Husband and I are very academic focused...we see our role as the realistic "Plan B" (go to a great college, play ball, get a great job after graduation) to his "Plan A" (MLB or bust).

East coast-er here.  ( Kinda going against everything RJM said...)

Times were a bit different for my 2014, but after watching several friends/teammates commit to ACC/P5 schools, son committed the summer before his junior year to his first (only) offer...a mid-major.

Most of the athletic scholarships typically go to "up the middle" players.  I would think 50% would be a great offer.  Pitchers have an advantage to wait.  My son was a mid-infielder.  Knowing some of the other mid-infielders in the area, he did not want to play behind those players in college, so he went where he was wanted.

It worked out very well for him.  He started as a freshman and played every game (but one, I think) in three years and was drafted as a junior.  From a mid-major.

He did not go into college thinking he would be drafted, but I am sure it was his dream (as it is for so many).

His mid-major was a high academic college, that he leveraged baseball to get in to.  Covid, and the MLB scholarship, allowed him finish degree in 2020.

Oh, the head coach that recruited him.....left before he stepped foot on campus. 

Did the offer come with a deadline to commit?

Last edited by keewart

SpeedDemon

Your son is a lot like my son was 10 years ago except for the projected 95+. He was cruising high-80s and touched low 90's.   His first offer was from a mid-major D1 (his local childhood dream school) and then the flood gates opened for additional D1, D1 HA (Ivy & Patriot League), and D3 opportunities.  If I’m reading the situation correctly, it sounds like this D1 mid-major wants to take your son “off the market” as soon as possible.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances there is no reason for a consultant.  There are plenty of folks who have been through this on HSBBWeb and more than willing to advise and guide you and your son.  RJM is correct that your son’s travel team (and high school coach)  should be helping him & you with a marketing and exposure strategy.   

While in college, my RHP son had very little interaction with the College HC.   He worked everyday with the College PC, and they developed a great relationship over those 4 years.  So, honestly the crotchety college HC is a not a red flag in my experiences.  It is more about the players chemistry with his position coach.   50% is a great starting offer.  If your son has MLB aspirations and they have a track record for developing pitchers to that level that again sounds like a great start.

However, just be sure this is what your wants.   I would strongly encourage you to listen to other offers as they come in and do your due diligence that you’ve considered all opportunities.  As I stated earlier this was extremely similar to where my son started.   We began to explore other options, and it became clear my son was not about MLB opportunities but more about the best (engineering) education he could get while playing college baseball.   At 16 years old, we had to work with him and learn ourselves about the college baseball universe….it is vast.   It was through networking, trial & error, lots of text and emails and guidance on websites like HSBBWeb  that we figured out exactly what he wanted and where he best fit.   Never underestimate fit.

As always, just my opinion or experience.   Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth
@keewart posted:

East coast-er here.  ( Kinda going against everything RJM said...)

Times were a bit different for my 2014, but after watching several friends/teammates commit to ACC/P5 schools, son committed the summer before his junior year to his first (only) offer...a mid-major.

Most of the athletic scholarships typically go to "up the middle" players.  I would think 50% would be a great offer.  Pitchers have an advantage to wait.  My son was a mid-infielder.  Knowing some of the other mid-infielders in the area, he did not want to play behind those players in college, so he went where he was wanted.

It worked out very well for him.  He started as a freshman and played every game (but one, I think) in three years and was drafted as a junior.  From a mid-major.

He did not go into college thinking he would be drafted, but I am sure it was his dream (as it is for so many).

His mid-major was a high academic college, that he leveraged baseball to get in to.  Covid, and the MLB scholarship, allowed him finish degree in 2020.

Oh, the head coach that recruited him.....left before he stepped foot on campus.

Did the offer come with a deadline to commit?

No deadline, so far. But I'm expecting one.

We have a follow-up call scheduled for next week.

@fenwaysouth posted:

SpeedDemon

Your son is a lot like my son was 10 years ago except for the projected 95+. He was cruising high-80s and touched low 90's.   His first offer was from a mid-major D1 (his local childhood dream school) and then the flood gates opened for additional D1, D1 HA (Ivy & Patriot League), and D3 opportunities.  If I’m reading the situation correctly, it sounds like this D1 mid-major wants to take your son “off the market” as soon as possible.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances there is no reason for a consultant.  There are plenty of folks who have been through this on HSBBWeb and more than willing to advise and guide you and your son.  RJM is correct that your son’s travel team (and high school coach)  should be helping him & you with a marketing and exposure strategy.   

While in college, my RHP son had very little interaction with the College HC.   He worked everyday with the College PC, and they developed a great relationship over those 4 years.  So, honestly the crotchety college HC is a not a red flag in my experiences.  It is more about the players chemistry with his position coach.   50% is a great starting offer.  If your son has MLB aspirations and they have a track record for developing pitchers to that level that again sounds like a great start.

However, just be sure this is what your wants.   I would strongly encourage you to listen to other offers as they come in and do your due diligence that you’ve considered all opportunities.  As I stated earlier this was extremely similar to where my son started.   We began to explore other options, and it became clear my son was not about MLB opportunities but more about the best (engineering) education he could get while playing college baseball.   At 16 years old, we had to work with him and learn ourselves about the college baseball universe….it is vast.   It was through networking, trial & error, lots of text and emails and guidance on websites like HSBBWeb  that we figured out exactly what he wanted and where he best fit.   Never underestimate fit.

As always, just my opinion or experience.   Good luck!

Thanks.

We haven't heard anything from his club coach. That, I think, is the missing link...not clear if coach hasn't had anyone contact him, or if he's chosen not to communicate with us. Other families and players are similarly scratching their heads.  Son will follow up directly with coach after the two upcoming camps.

The HC is the pitching coach for the school that's made the offer. He has a stellar reputation for developing talent but is old school. Asst coaches told my son HC can be difficult/demanding and son was a bit put off by his gruff demeanor when they met. But the meeting did result in a scholarship offer.

"Never underestimate fit." - thanks. I will hold on to that.

If the club coach does not want to be too involved it is possible to get another coach/advisor involved (at your request). When I say advisor I do not mean a college recruiting advisor like CAA or one of many others out there. If your kid is as elite schools will find you. It could be his HS coach or pitching lesson coach or a friend of the family (be careful with that one as you would want the coach to be able to ask the right questions and not be ignorant to things he should know).

I say this because it might be nice to have a middle man of sorts to be the good/bad guy with coaches who is an advocate for your son and he'd be able to ask the tough questions of schools that are interested and potentially be someone that reaches out to schools on his behalf. (That was an incredible sentence but don't want to try to redo it). I hope that makes sense.

@used2lurk posted:

If the club coach does not want to be too involved it is possible to get another coach/advisor involved (at your request). When I say advisor I do not mean a college recruiting advisor like CAA or one of many others out there. If your kid is as elite schools will find you. It could be his HS coach or pitching lesson coach or a friend of the family (be careful with that one as you would want the coach to be able to ask the right questions and not be ignorant to things he should know).

I say this because it might be nice to have a middle man of sorts to be the good/bad guy with coaches who is an advocate for your son and he'd be able to ask the tough questions of schools that are interested and potentially be someone that reaches out to schools on his behalf. (That was an incredible sentence but don't want to try to redo it). I hope that makes sense.

It does make sense - thanks!

You're asking the same question I am - should I bring in an advisor to hash through the existing offer, try to suss out other interested parties, and generally help with the process? Or should I go it on my own, in a weird situation where we're getting one very generous offer but nothing else and son is less than enthusiastic about the coach?

I think what you're saying is that the advisor role can be played by his HS coach, or pitching coach or someone else who already knows him, and I shouldn't have to hire a third party.

Thanks - that makes sense.

Last edited by SpeedDemon

His travel coach/whoever runs the organization needs to start pulling their weight.

Once you hit a certain level, the goal is not to just go event to event and rack up wins and reps, it's to play for somebody who is hooked up with colleges your kid is interested in attending. If your travel coach is not capable of doing that - you are not playing for the right program. You are no longer paying for the tournaments, you are now paying for the ability to make a phone call.

Every organization should be having meetings with parents and players outlining goals, expectations and having an honest conversation about what level they can play at and what schools the kid would be interested in attending. If they're not doing that, you need to find a new program, that should be baseline.

Should you hire a consultant? No. You should sit down with the org and say where do you think I can play (level, conference, etc) and compare it to where the kid wants to go (size, location, conf) and whatever overlaps is schools you should be targeting. If they are not going to pick up a phone and call coaches at schools you're interested in and say hey Johnny is interested in your school, he already has offers then they are useless.

So no to an advisor/consultant. Yes to a new travel org if the current org can't do what you pay them to do. I don't know the CA landscape like others but if your kid is good enough for an offer he's good enough to get with any of the many legitimate travel orgs in your area.

@PABaseball posted:

His travel coach/whoever runs the organization needs to start pulling their weight.

Once you hit a certain level, the goal is not to just go event to event and rack up wins and reps, it's to play for somebody who is hooked up with colleges your kid is interested in attending. If your travel coach is not capable of doing that - you are not playing for the right program. You are no longer paying for the tournaments, you are now paying for the ability to make a phone call.

Every organization should be having meetings with parents and players outlining goals, expectations and having an honest conversation about what level they can play at and what schools the kid would be interested in attending. If they're not doing that, you need to find a new program, that should be baseline.

Should you hire a consultant? No. You should sit down with the org and say where do you think I can play (level, conference, etc) and compare it to where the kid wants to go (size, location, conf) and whatever overlaps is schools you should be targeting. If they are not going to pick up a phone and call coaches at schools you're interested in and say hey Johnny is interested in your school, he already has offers then they are useless.

So no to an advisor/consultant. Yes to a new travel org if the current org can't do what you pay them to do. I don't know the CA landscape like others but if your kid is good enough for an offer he's good enough to get with any of the many legitimate travel orgs in your area.

Agreed re: club coach. I think that’s a big part of what’s missing. We will follow up with him. Thanks for the input.

@PABaseball posted:

This.  You live in CA where there are a million programs run by guys who have every west coach D-1 in their phone, your player is at the level where they CAN and SHOULD be willing to reach out. Additionally he should know which programs your son will gel with the coach or at least the pitching.   If he can't, switch programs.  I know it's a little more spread out in Central CA but you should have a half dozen local options.

I think now is a good time for your son to pick 10 schools where he would want to go to school if he didn't play baseball and reachout directly to those coaches with video and his academic stats. There are approximately 30 D-1 schools on the west coast.  You can probably knock 10 schools off because they are below your son's caliber academically, others because of geography or other factors (my son didn't want a religious affilitation of any kind).  That should leave you with a maneagable list of targets. Is it possible your son has not come across the majority of those coaches?  Realistically, he should send an email to each of the remaining programs (pitching coach, HC & RC) and see how much traction he gets from that.  Followed by he travel coach reaching out.  Maybe he'll be a little more proactive if he realizes youre unhappy with his support and step up. Is it possible he's waiting for you son to get a little better and score him a Stanford or UCLA feather in his successful recruits cap? those are some deep waters....

I think you bring up a recruiter because you want help understanding the landscape of CA baseball (and adjacent areas) and want an "in" but realistically we are a world unto ourselves and there may be movement but not a lot of outside coaches come in.  These guys all know each other and your TB coach should be able to give you the information.  Sports Force or SportsRecruits are not necessary.

Please, please, please.  Never lose sight of the 4 for forty year plan.  Choose a school where your child can thrive and set himself for the next forty years...AND play baseball. There are many great educational options in CA and adjacent.

Couple of things to keep an eye on:

Historically how many recruits per year and how many make it on the roster and beyond that how many stay for at least frosh and soph seasons.

Tenure of coach? what is the likelyhood of a coaching chang.  With a pitching coach it is much more likely to have movement in some programs than others.

look at the roster and see what the kids are majoring in? It sounds like he doesn't want STEM but maybe he doesn't want sports management or some other major that is easy for the coach to dictate.  Some seem to be great about allowing kids to prioritize education.  Others? Not so much.

Know your child.  Will he be happy fighting every day for a roster spot? Would he be fine emotionally if he had to transfer? if not, maybe undershoot a little.  If he thrives in those situations and wouldn't mind moving around a little or having to drop down to CC after freshman year go ahead and reach.

Also, 100% your son should be at the Academic Game tryout for the AZ Fall Classic.

@LousyLefty posted:

This.  You live in CA where there are a million programs run by guys who have every west coach D-1 in their phone, your player is at the level where they CAN and SHOULD be willing to reach out. Additionally he should know which programs your son will gel with the coach or at least the pitching.   If he can't, switch programs.  I know it's a little more spread out in Central CA but you should have a half dozen local options.

I think now is a good time for your son to pick 10 schools where he would want to go to school if he didn't play baseball and reachout directly to those coaches with video and his academic stats. There are approximately 30 D-1 schools on the west coast.  You can probably knock 10 schools off because they are below your son's caliber academically, others because of geography or other factors (my son didn't want a religious affilitation of any kind).  That should leave you with a maneagable list of targets. Is it possible your son has not come across the majority of those coaches?  Realistically, he should send an email to each of the remaining programs (pitching coach, HC & RC) and see how much traction he gets from that.  Followed by he travel coach reaching out.  Maybe he'll be a little more proactive if he realizes youre unhappy with his support and step up. Is it possible he's waiting for you son to get a little better and score him a Stanford or UCLA feather in his successful recruits cap? those are some deep waters....

I think you bring up a recruiter because you want help understanding the landscape of CA baseball (and adjacent areas) and want an "in" but realistically we are a world unto ourselves and there may be movement but not a lot of outside coaches come in.  These guys all know each other and your TB coach should be able to give you the information.  Sports Force or SportsRecruits are not necessary.

Please, please, please.  Never lose sight of the 4 for forty year plan.  Choose a school where your child can thrive and set himself for the next forty years...AND play baseball. There are many great educational options in CA and adjacent.

Couple of things to keep an eye on:

Historically how many recruits per year and how many make it on the roster and beyond that how many stay for at least frosh and soph seasons.

Tenure of coach? what is the likelyhood of a coaching chang.  With a pitching coach it is much more likely to have movement in some programs than others.

look at the roster and see what the kids are majoring in? It sounds like he doesn't want STEM but maybe he doesn't want sports management or some other major that is easy for the coach to dictate.  Some seem to be great about allowing kids to prioritize education.  Others? Not so much.

Know your child.  Will he be happy fighting every day for a roster spot? Would he be fine emotionally if he had to transfer? if not, maybe undershoot a little.  If he thrives in those situations and wouldn't mind moving around a little or having to drop down to CC after freshman year go ahead and reach.

Also, 100% your son should be at the Academic Game tryout for the AZ Fall Classic.

Wow! Thanks.

@SpeedDemon posted:

Wow! Thanks.

Nothing really to add to @LousyLefty comment

In 2022, there were 99 RHP Freshman from California listed on NCAA-D1 rosters, here are the states they played.

California_2022_distribution-by-state

Here are the conferences

California_2022_top-conferences

2021 Season

California_2021_distribution-by-state

2020 Season

California_2020_distribution-by-state

Besides this community, www.Keepplayingbaseball.org is good for organizing one's thoughts.  Not as detailed as this community, but you can use it as a supplemental.

Attachments

Images (4)
  • California_2022_distribution-by-state
  • California_2022_top-conferences
  • California_2021_distribution-by-state
  • California_2020_distribution-by-state
@SpeedDemon posted:

Feels like I've bragged enough, but since people have asked: he has a 4.8 GPA and a 1520 SAT.

Ivies have expressed interest, but he is dead set on staying on the West Coast.

Husband and I are very academic focused...we see our role as the realistic "Plan B" (go to a great college, play ball, get a great job after graduation) to his "Plan A" (MLB or bust).

Kudos to your son's academic record. Don't sacrifice his academic aptitude in selecting a school. Wish he would reconsider Ivy League, but I get it. We live in New England and son had a limited Geographic area (probably no further West than Illinois and no further south than VA or Carolinas.) Son focused on HA D1's (primarily Ivy, Patriot).  No need for a consultant as your son already has an offer. It's trite but true, best way to get offers is to have the first one. My son received an offer of the school he would attend only after Big State U offered earlier the same day.  I believe that you have plenty of time (PO timetables stretch out much later than position players, especially if school has smaller roster). Good luck.

I had to laugh about majors not requiring papers, My baseball son was a STEM in college largely for that reason--He also liked the "black/white" nature of math/science...you show your work and get the answer through a process. My non athlete son is in the philosophy/theology field--lots of reading and papers.

@Ripken Fan posted:

Kudos to your son's academic record. Don't sacrifice his academic aptitude in selecting a school. Wish he would reconsider Ivy League, but I get it. We live in New England and son had a limited Geographic area (probably no further West than Illinois and no further south than VA or Carolinas.) Son focused on HA D1's (primarily Ivy, Patriot).  No need for a consultant as your son already has an offer. It's trite but true, best way to get offers is to have the first one. My son received an offer of the school he would attend only after Big State U offered earlier the same day.  I believe that you have plenty of time (PO timetables stretch out much later than position players, especially if school has smaller roster). Good luck.

I had to laugh about majors not requiring papers, My baseball son was a STEM in college largely for that reason--He also liked the "black/white" nature of math/science...you show your work and get the answer through a process. My non athlete son is in the philosophy/theology field--lots of reading and papers.

Ha! Thanks so much. This is great advice.

Our sons seem like they could be twins.

The West Coast is extremely tough for an aspiring college player.  There are only 20 or so D1 programs west of the Rockies and California & Arizona are very dense with high-end baseball talent.  And there aren't a lot of D2 or D3 programs either.  He needs to have a plan to be seen.  Many travel programs have relationships with college coaches and hold showcase tournaments on the college fields.  Many also go to USA Baseball in AZ or PG tournaments in GA.  If he's really dead set on going to school on the west coast than he is certainly not prioritizing baseball, which is fine but he should understand that.

@Smitty28 posted:

The West Coast is extremely tough for an aspiring college player.  There are only 20 or so D1 programs west of the Rockies and California & Arizona are very dense with high-end baseball talent.  And there aren't a lot of D2 or D3 programs either.  He needs to have a plan to be seen.  Many travel programs have relationships with college coaches and hold showcase tournaments on the college fields.  Many also go to USA Baseball in AZ or PG tournaments in GA.  If he's really dead set on going to school on the west coast than he is certainly not prioritizing baseball, which is fine but he should understand that.

"If he's really dead set on going to school on the west coast than he is certainly not prioritizing baseball" - I am going to text him that, word for word. Thank you very much.

Hard to understand why there aren't more colleges out West. Seems like there's a small liberal arts college in every other town on the East Coast.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.