Skip to main content

sedfan,

Your logic is flawed, and you are taking the good folks of Virginia Tech down with you.  I'm on both campuses all the time on business. My middle son attends VT, and I know many dozens of alums at both schools.   The schools are not that different.   Good kids at both schools with a lot of school spirit.  VT has its roots in agriculture, military, and engineering.  Virginia has it roots in business and law.  The kids don't dress that much differently, and there are some pretty daggum smart kids at both schools.

What your son chose to wear for his visit is in stark contrast to the judgement of rest of this board.  Let's just leave it at that and move on.  

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Originally Posted by BackstopDad32:

I could think of lots.  

Want to to go to smaller school. Want a faith based education. Frankly the list could be long. 

Give your son time to where he visits schools as a recruit. You might be surprised what he wants. 

He's been to a bunch, and I know what he wants.  And I'm not saying it is UVA, but I know he wants a program at the same level.  Does it mean that he'll make it?  Nope. Too many years and variables in front of him.  But I know that is what he wants.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that any HS baseball player with the desire to play in college doesn't want to go to one of the best programs.  Sure, most will end up somewhere else, and that's fine, but they should all want to compete against the very best.

Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

I could think of lots.  

Want to to go to smaller school. Want a faith based education. Frankly the list could be long. 

Give your son time to where he visits schools as a recruit. You might be surprised what he wants. 

He's been to a bunch, and I know what he wants.  And I'm not saying it is UVA, but I know he wants a program at the same level.  Does it mean that he'll make it?  Nope. Too many years and variables in front of him.  But I know that is what he wants.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that any HS baseball player with the desire to play in college doesn't want to go to one of the best programs.  Sure, most will end up somewhere else, and that's fine, but they should all want to compete against the very best.

A response requires a thread hijack. This has good info in it so maybe a topic for another day. 

Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

I could think of lots.  

A response requires a thread hijack. This has good info in it so maybe a topic for another day. 

Agreed.

Originally Posted by sedfan:

I recommend that you ask the type of people that go to Virginia Tech what they think about the type of people that go to UVA.

I have a pretty good idea of what Virginia Tech coaches expect when a player shows up for a visit. Have him arrive wearing something that he'd normally only wear if he were hanging out at home, and let him take his less-than-favorable chances,

There are way too many first-rate baseball players available to ACC schools (all of them) to cater to players who create the impression that they don't care enough to apply some significance to the opportunity.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "wine and cheese" and anything that might be construed as being the antithesis of that, Whether at UVA, Virginia Tech, or any program remotely similar, all of those programs are vying for players who can contribute to their high aspirations.

However, if a player arrives and indicates that he's blowing off the opportunity because he's chosen to dress like a slob; caveat player.

If you'd like to get a real coach's opinion, have your son PM me; and, I'll hook him up for some realistic advice.

Otherwise, I'm done on this one.

Last edited by Prepster

As someone who hires folks, please start teaching your sons how to present themselves in the real world. I was thinking about this very subject this week. Since my son would like to be employed after college, knowing how to dress, even in a casual situation is important. It is NOT about the applicant, but about the applicant's audience. Show some respect. 

In our house we talk about wearing big boy clothes: pants with a zipper, shirts with a colar, no hat. 

I'm the CEO of a business and a young man in our company recently made a presentation to me. He put on a jacket, pressed shirt, the whole thing. He showed me that he was serious about what he is doinig. I will remember this. 

For those who take things literally, I am not saying your son should wear a suit to meet with the coach. I'm saying please use this as a teaching opportunity. Most of us are trying to raise independent men, not just college baseball players. Your son is potentially establishing a long term relationship with a man who could be a future reference for a job. Take it seriously.

Is this a real topic?  When I first saw the OP's heading I thought it was a joke?  And it's still going strong after four days.  Wow. 

Ok, here goes.....

1.  Only wear white after Memorial Day, and NEVER after Labor Day.

2.  Consider matching belt color with shoe color

3.  Clean underwear (only for "wine and cheese" crowd)

4.  Sock color choice should pick up a color accent found in another part of ensemble.  I'd go bold here.  Really make a statement.

I too, am done on this one.

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach
Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:

Is this a real topic?  When I first saw the OP's heading I thought it was a joke?  And it's still going strong after four days.  Wow. 

Ok, here goes.....

4.  Sock color choice should pick up a color accent found in another part of ensemble.  I'd go bold here.  Really make a statement.

Thats' freakin Awesome. Everybody wants to go where the winning is....see recruiting rankings....2014-15 Vandy, Virginia etc...it was North Carolina, blah blah blah. You only go to those schools if you are the real deal or can pay your own way and are the real deal. Everyone else lands somewhere else. Your son should go somewhere where he sees himself enjoying the college experience and where he can contribute in the ultimate goal, Omaha.

Ok, here goes.....

I can tie this in with my golf advice

rickie-fowler-27-september-2010

Attachments

Images (1)
  • rickie-fowler-27-september-2010
Originally Posted by J H:

Ok, here goes.....

I can tie this in with my golf advice

rickie-fowler-27-september-2010

That would work in Knoxville. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.