Skip to main content

Help me please. I read a bunch of posts, people seems shy away from the minor league pay. I heard Mrs. Tiger paw Mom said his son got $1100 per month. I was shocked. That is less money than the kids working in a McDonald's. Althogh my son is still young (freshman in a high school), he is the Star player in every level he played, I am expecting he be drafted from high school after 4 years. But with this kind of pay, he can barely make a living. with only 10% out of the minor leaguer make to the majors, I have to reconsider his future. Am I misunderstanding something here? By the way what's the average physical build needed to be a first rounder? My son is on his way to about 6'1'' 190lb. I have no doubt he can be a college player some where, but what I really wish for is a A-Rod kind of deal out of high school, am I really dreaming here? Sorry I am a "rookie" to the Baseball system,
any good advice will be helpful.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

StarDad,
Welcome to the HSBBW, I am not sure if your post is for real or not.

Let's see, after taxes, social security, medicare (his check was drawn from NY State for last summer and NY state taxes are high) every two weeks his check was like 400 something. With free room, most of his money went for food and whatever he needed. On positive note, for each level you move up one gets a bonus (1000) and a 5000 bonus when you reach MLB. You do not make any real substantial money until you reach the 40 man roster, which could take years.
You are only paid for the months you play, if you are called for fall instruction you get expenses only, meals and lodging, and same for spring training.

I am not really sure what people think that minor leaguers make, but it ain't a whole lot. Let's call it apprentice pay. The object is to try to position yourself in a decent slot in the draft to get some bonus money to live on, for a few years until something does or doesn't happen. Many minor leaguers work in the off season. If you are a HS grad only, you might find yourself at minimum wage, college grads or those with 3 or more years of college might find better employment. If you are in a position to help your son out during those months without pay, that's wonderful, but I know that my husband would not be in a position to support a 22 year old baseball player. One of the websters here was telling us the other evening about a minor leaguer working for his dad digging ditches in off season.

I am curious as to why you think that your son might be drafted after HS? Because he's good? By the time he gets to be a senior, there will be plenty more "good" players throughout the country your son will have to compete with. You most likely will be shocked to find out, that your son maybe just another good baseball player that was a super star where he came from but average to the rest of the country. There is no way you can predict what your son will be like at 17,18,19or what his velocity may be. If you are looking for an Arod type of deal for your son, my suggestion is to change your direction and concentrate on him heading for college before you dream about him reaching pro baseball and making a windfall of $$ out of HS, even college.
Last edited by TPM
Great response Tiger Paw Mom, most players don't stick around to long in the minors becuase of the pay, i thought the apprenticeship analogy was perfect that is exactly what it is pretty much. As far as the draft goes pretty much unless you are in the first 15 rounds you get as the guys call it "a bus ticket and a pack of bubble gum". If you sign as a free agent just good luck. It is a long and complicated road that involves prob. more luck than skill, but alot of skill. But you made alot of great points Tiger PM
That's why I told you I am a "rookie" on baseball. I never played basebal before. I have very high expectation on my son. Because he is really good at current level. Hitting, pitching, fielding all around. Every coach saw him told me he is going to be a "big time player". But actually he didn't prove anything yet (as a HS freshman, he havn't played a sigle HS game yet, what do you expect?). But his talent is there for sure.
I read some draft news about some player got the signing bonus from 300,000 to 4 million just being drated, is that true? So, I dreamed if he be drafted in the future, he should get the big buck. If the minor leaguer only get lower than average salary, and 90% will not make it to the majors, then I think this system should be reformed. Either you don't draft that many players or increase the pay check to $50,000 per year. Otherwise it's a waste of the young lifes to become the bottom feeder to the big business of MLB. If my son is not good enough to get the guranteed money, I will not let him sign with anyone. He will play college ball only and find a decent job instead. If you said the income part is true, I am really dispointed. To be hornest with you, I am letting him play for the big money, there are just too much investment in him now, I can't afford to let him to be average.

Go CARDS, I am a CADRS fan too.
Not saying the pay is poor and the physical demands horrendous (hours worked, overnight bus rides, etc.), but my son figured out he is being paid less per hour than the migrant farm workers his team bus passed on the way to a game.

Of course, I pointed out, nobody asked them for autographs at the end of their workday Wink.

During instrux, he was in the same hotel as the Chinese National Team. The Chinese team was appalled at the Life of a Minor Leaguer stories the guys were telling!

It's early days for you to be dreaming about the first round, and I hope you're not conveying any of that to your son. A Star in any one place is the proverbial Big Fish; you'll know more through showcases (though perhaps you've already done that). I'm presuming he's on a travel team. Remember, he's not competing with the players in your area or even all of Missouri; he's competing with the entire country in the draft. And much of the rest of the world for minor league slots.

Check out the rest of the site for loads of superb info for Newbies. For example, Odds of playing College/Pro About 1% of all hs/college ballplayers are drafted; 2% of that 1% go in the first round.

Despite all of this, guys are lined up for the job. Not for the Big Bucks, but for the love of the game.
Last edited by Orlando
My son's hitting instructor is a minor leaguer. He told us he makes about $1100 a month during the season. In the off-season, he's working as a carpenter/plumber and giving hitting lessons. Like Orlando said - it's not about money for him - his love of the game is obvious. Whether or not he makes it to the big leagues, he's going to be a fantastic coach. In fact, he already is. And plumbers don't make a bad living. Smile
Thanks Tiger paw Mom, Orlando, Zeus, That really helpful. But the only part you didn't reply is the signing bonus part, is there any "300,000 to 4 Million" player in the draft? If so, I will let my son to work toward that goal. Otherwise I really don't see the need to let him play baseball after college.

Orlando, you say someone play for the "love of the game", I really don't agree with that, in this capitalism world, most of the kids is playing for the big dream of becoming a Major league star with big $$s.
I think Orlando got it right there:

Despite all of this, guys are lined up for the job. Not for the Big Bucks, but for the love of the game.

Isn't that what makes minor league games so great? My coach doesn't follow the MLB because he thinks most of them care about the money too much. But wouldn't everyone take the money? Tough call. I'm still a Yankee fan.
Catch43

"Despite all of this, guys are lined up for the job. Not for the Big Bucks, but for the love of the game."

That's why I would call for a draft reform. Reduce the draft round to 25 like NFL. Pay the kids national average salary, maybe $25,000 like a primary school teacher. This $1100/month thing is a insult to everyone who put out the hard work like those minor leaguers did.
Should there be some reform to improve the conditions of the minor leaguers? Darn skippy, if you're coming from the players' perspective. But the Players Union doesn't much take MiLB into consideration.

The owners want to put the best product on the field at the MLB level, and the infrastructure of the farm system is expensive. The players, however, are mostly Birds of Passage.

Scouting is not an exact science; if it were, everybody in the first few rounds would eventually have MLB careers and, frankly, they could stop with those rounds. There's -- what, about 4500 minor leaguers looking at 750 major league jobs (and some of those guys insist on hanging around for more than a year or two Roll Eyes. The nerve!). And 1500 more are offered a job every June, although not all sign. For everyone who signs, somebody loses their job.

Guys get injured, guys get married and decide it's time to get responsible, guys see the writing on the wall, guys just don't have the talent to compete, guys don't want it badly enough. There's falloff.

An RHP has a 96 mph fastball and the right build. Surefire, right? Um, no...does it move, does he have a couple of other pitches, what can he throw for strikes, is he durable, is he coachable, can he stand the pressure? This is what the farm system finds out and filters.

Guy's got great range, a sure glove, speed, and a serious stick. Surefire? Only if he's as sure when the rest of that elite 1% are hitting the ball at him or pitching the ball to him. Again, finding out and filtering.

For the most part, it takes years to establish who might make it. And, just like the draft, it's not an exact science. Many (arguably, most) of those September callups ease on back into obscurity after their Cup of Coffee because they didn't have the stuff.

And, to all this, a MiLB player would reply, "So what? I love this, I want my chance."

If you, but more importantly, your son, believe it's all about a paycheck, then he should work toward law school, his MBA, or accountancy. Particularly if you/your son believe that life is about the paycheck and not the experience, he might want to consider more traditionally productive extracurricular activities. Like Junior Achievement.

If you ask a ballplayer what the dream is, it's being a professional ballplayer. It's stepping onto a major league field. The dream isn't looking at your bank balance, as much of a benefit that would be. If playing for the Love of the Game is outside your/your son's experience.....I guess we don't have much common ground.

As has been said often about the game --- it ain't easy; if it were easy, everyone would do it.
Tiger paw Mom:

"I am curious as to why you think that your son might be drafted after HS?"

It's just my way of doing things, set a very high goal, and work hard to reach it. This kid has amazing ability. No matter what you teach him, he will do it perfectly well. I am not a baseball palyer. I learned baseball by reading books and watch MLB games. So I want my son bat like A-Rod, he did it. He is in a traveling AAA team since 10. He hit over 20 Triples when he is 12 with a 5'2'' 105 lb body. He got over .500 batting average when he is 14. In the pitching part, I want him pitch like Rager Clemens. He did exactly like him, a couple of 7 Inn shot out game pitched against some USSSA Major team with a 5'10'' 155 lb body when he is about 14 and half. That's why coaches around our league said he is the best hitter and best pitcher in our team, a "big timer" in the future. Because I am a outsider of baseball, I just don't know if they are really mean it or he is a super talent. So whatever they say I just believe it. That's why the expectation went way high for my son, I really can't wait to see him play next spring HS ball.
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
with only 10% out of the minor leaguer make to the majors
Your numbers are off. According to the D'backs GM 2% of minor leaguers see a day in the majors. 1% of minor leaguers stick for a MLB career. He called it a bad career choice, yet the players keep on coming believing they're the 1%. Now take the odds of a high school player getting drafted someday. The odds of becoming a MLB player are staggering. A player has to really want it.

Many years ago I asked a scout why there were 60 rounds to the draft. He told me not all will sign, but the prospects need teammates to play the game. Sometimes mistakes and miscalculations are made and the longshot (Piazza comes to mind) makes it.
Last edited by RJM
Very good post Olando, thanks!
"If you, but more importantly, your son, believe it's all about a paycheck, then he should work toward law school, his MBA, or accountancy. Particularly if you/your son believe that life is about the paycheck and not the experience, he might want to consider more traditionally productive extracurricular activities. Like Junior Achievement."

I just feel the payout doesn't added up to my investment. All the times and hard work with physical and emotional drain don't get rewarded.
$1100/ month just way too low. This is unfair. If this is the fact, we should call the minor leagers ameture player right? Everyone go find a decent day job and paly or practice baseball at night, that will be more fair to the kid. $1100/month is just unacceptable. At least people should get a decent life no matter what they do. $1100 per month is laughable consider the Billion dollar industry like MLB. Someone is stealing money here!!!!
Last edited by StarDad
Stardad, there is a really good book i would suggest anyone read it, it is called "Good enough to Dream" by Roger Kahn. Great book about being a "Baseball player".
Every dad wants their kids to be great at what they do, if you don't have those expectations some would say would be disappointing. But for the most part like Orlando said it is about the stories, i played a couple years here nor there, in college my goal was i wanted the payday, but ultimately in the end. You realize it wasn't even nesecarily about the end result, but sometimes the road that you got there on. The thing alot of people who have played the game at the higher levels will tell you is it is more about the stories they can tell, the things they did, who they played with, the road trips and so on, the experience of it all. Money is always something we strive for but like Catch43 said most play for the love of the game and the payday is something we strive for but the game is what we live for.

You will go to showcases in the future and your son will be graded, compared, scrutinized, publicized and the whole bowl of wax. The Ultimate goal should be make it to the show be great and make bank, realistic goal should be good enough to get college paid for, play some minor league ball and one day get a good job, have some kids and hope they can have great experiences of their own or turn out better than you did.
quote:
Originally posted by StarDad:
I just feel the payout doesn't added up to my investment. All the times and hard work with physical and emotional drain don't get rewarded.
$1100/ month just way too low. This is unfair. If this is the fact, we should call the minor leagers ameture player right? Everyone go find a decent day job and paly or practice baseball at night, that will be more fair to the kid. $1100/month is just unacceptable. At least people should get a decent life no matter what they do. $1100 per month is laughable consider the Billion dollar industry like MLB. Someone is stealing money here!!!!
If someone doesn't feel it's fair they can head for the world of business and get on with their life. There are plenty more players dying to step up and get a shot for the going rate.
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
[If someone doesn't feel it's fair they can head for the world of business and get on with their life. There are plenty more players dying to step up and get a shot for the going rate.

Well if you think stealing money from the young kids is fair, I will have nothing to say. Everyone wants to do it doesn't mean the owner's has the right to rip people off. I am surprised everyone here seems on the owner's side. Are you a Minor league GM? If somehow I work for the player's union, I will call for a nationwide strike against Minor league Baseball. This depressingly low salary is a unfair practice, we should fight for the players right.
quote:
Tiger paw Mom:

"I am curious as to why you think that your son might be drafted after HS?"

It's just my way of doing things, set a very high goal, and work hard to reach it. This kid has amazing ability. No matter what you teach him, he will do it perfectly well. I am not a baseball palyer. I learned baseball by reading books and watch MLB games. So I want my son bat like A-Rod, he did it. He is in a traveling AAA team since 10. He hit over 20 Triples when he is 12 with a 5'2'' 105 lb body. He got over .500 batting average when he is 14. In the pitching part, I want him pitch like Rager Clemens. He did exactly like him, a couple of 7 Inn shot out game pitched against some USSSA Major team with a 5'10'' 155 lb body when he is about 14 and half. That's why coaches around our league said he is the best hitter and best pitcher in our team, a "big timer" in the future. Because I am a outsider of baseball, I just don't know if they are really mean it or he is a super talent. So whatever they say I just believe it. That's why the expexctation went way high for my son, I really can't wait to see him play next spring HS ball.

Well StarDad, if you are thinking that your son is going to be drafted in the top rounds out of high school just because he has tracked well as a 12 year old through 14 year old playing USSSA, and you do not want him to go into the Minors only getting $1,100/month on the months he is playing because it is not a good return on your investment, you should have your son put his glove away right now and walk away!

My son at 12 hit over 30 homeruns when he was 12 years old little leaguer, he has played with and against 15 year old pitchers that are throwing over 90 mph. Played, and was one of the "stars", for one of the top high school teams in Calif and was on one of the top travel teams in the country winning many national tournaments and was highly ranked by several publications, he was not drafted and is fight for a position on his college team to make the 35 man roster who is restricted to only give 11.7 baseball scholarships!

Baseball is not a good return on your investment; if that is the only way you are looking at it.

High expectations are great, but the pressure you may be putting on your son will most likely cause him to loose the love for the game, especially from someone who is playing and experiencing the game through your son and a book!
quote:
Originally posted by Homerun04:
My son at 12 hit over 30 homeruns when he was 12 years old little leaguer, he has played with and against 15 year old pitchers that are throwing over 90 mph. Played, and was one of the "stars", for one of the top high school teams in Calif and was on one of the top travel teams in the country winning many national tournaments and was highly ranked by several publications, he was not drafted and is fight for a position on his college team to make the 35 man roster who is restricted to only give 11.7 baseball scholarships!....

High expectations are great, but the pressure you may be putting on your son will most likely cause him to loose the love for the game, especially from someone who is playing and experiencing the game through your son and a book!

Great posts, that's the help what I am really looking for. How is your son's physical build now? Would you like to share with me? So I would have a good idea how my son will compare with him. On the Home run part, my son didn't hit any when he is 12 , because he is small at that time and play all the games in the 300 feet deep field. Did you watch the LLWS? unlike the USSSA, the little league field is only 225 feet deep. A lot of pop flies become a home run in that kind of ball park. Because I am a outsider, I got a very unique way to spot talent. I look at the kids learning ability, if he can learn quick and perform perfectly, then I believe when he got the MLB body, he should be better than any major leaguers. Is this the scientific way to judge a talent, I don't know. That's my way of doing things. I am a Geek when I was in school, so Geeks do Geek's thing. Hahaha..
Last edited by StarDad
Hey no need to get to negative, continue to encourage your son to play at the best of his ability and best wishes to you and your son but remember let him be a kid and play the game as competitive but as fun as he can. Find out what your son does best, he had 12 triples he must have some speed, encourage it help him grow as an athlete. Speed is the one thing that all coaches at all levels look at. The other is arm speed if your son has a great arm hint throwing in the 90's he has a very good chance. Again best wishes and hope all goes well.
quote:
Originally posted by BeenthereIL:
Stardad....

Don't ever recall a 1st rounder coming out of a high school in Missouri.

Max Scherzer from MU is the 11th pick in the 2006 draft. He is a RHP. You are right, very few kids been picked from high school. Especially from Missouri. But It doesn't mean it will not happen in the future.
Why very few kids drafted from Missour? I don't know. maybe this is a unlucky place, should I move out of here now?? Maybe not.
I think football or basketball are the most favorite sports for most talented kids in Mid-West. If they all chose to play baseball, my son should have no chance to play baseball in a college.
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
Originally posted by right arm of zeus:
he had 12 triples he must have some speed, encourage it help him grow as an athlete. Speed is the one thing that all coaches at all levels look at. The other is arm speed if your son has a great arm hint throwing in the 90's he has a very good chance. Again best wishes and hope all goes well.

Thanks Zeus, His speed is OK, not as fast as a track player. But he has the ability to hit the ball the other way. Nobody dare to pitch him a strike at the outside corner.

Tiger Paw Mom: what do you mean "scammed", if you don't believe me, I will send a picture of my son to your personal email address. All my posts are exactly what I thought, if I am too frankly to everyone, I am sorry that I am just that kind of person. Say what I think, don't care about what other's say.
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
Well if you think stealing money from the young kids is fair, I will have nothing to say. Everyone wants to do it doesn't mean the owner's has the right to rip people off. I am surprised everyone here seems on the owner's side. Are you a Minor league GM? If somehow I work for the player's union, I will call for a nationwide strike against Minor league Baseball. This depressingly low salary is a unfair practice, we should fight for the players right.
Econ 101: Supply and Demand ... The top potential talent get reasonable signing bonuses. The rest get an opportunity.

Minor league salaries are 100% expense with no return on investment to the MLB club until players make the majors and draw fans. Minor league teams are not owned by MLB franchises. MLB teams do not get a return on the gate.
quote:
The top potential talent get reasonable signing bonuses. The rest get an opportunity.

Thanks that's exactly what I want to know through all this posts. I don't know why no body answer this question. I just want know who will get the signing bonuses and sum the salary and the signing bonus, how much the minor leaguers get? I keep hearing the 6 figure salaries from the media, but a lot of people here say something about $1100 a month. Drafted or not, I want my son to get the 6 figure bonus or chose something else to do. Is that hard to understand?
Last edited by StarDad
Sorry Stardad, dreaming that your son can someday get AROD kind of money when he's only a freshman is not reality. I don't care how much of a rookie you are at this we all were at one time or another.
You can't compare your son to Max Sherzer, who was drafted out of college, not HS. What you need to do is wait until a year or so from now, take him to some national showcases or tournaments and then you can make conclusions as to how he compares to the rest of his HS grad class, not now.

I hope that you do not convey your thoughts to your son. Some folks do this and when their players don't make Arod status, they end up all messed up.
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
Sorry Stardad, dreaming that your son can someday get AROD kind of money when he's only a freshman is not reality. I don't care how much of a rookie you are at this we all were at one time or another.
You can't compare your son to Max Sherzer, who was drafted out of college, not HS. What you need to do is wait until a year or so from now, take him to some national showcases or tournaments and then you can make conclusions as to how he compares to the rest of his HS grad class, not now.

I hope that you do not convey your thoughts to your son. Some folks do this and when their players don't make Arod status, they end up all messed up.

Thanks, That's a very good advice. I will tell you the truth, we invest too much on him. Because I believe he is the A-ROD like talent. It's a long story. When this thing are all over in a few years. Make it or not I will tell you the whole story. If somehow he turns out not to be the "One". I will be disappointed, But that's not the end of the world. He is a staight A student in his school, he can have a great carrer no matter what. The only regret I will have is, I can't "reach for the Star". Not any star, I only want a baseball Star. Because I am in such a deep believe. It's even deeper than believing in God!!
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
quote:
The top potential talent get reasonable signing bonuses. The rest get an opportunity.

Thanks that's exactly what I want to know through all this posts. I don't know why no body answer this question. I just want know who will get the signing bonuses and sum the salary and the signing bonus, how much the minor leaguers get? I keep hearing the 6 figure salaries from the media, but a lot of people here say something about $1100 a month. Drafted or not, I want my son to get the 6 figure bonus or chose something else to do. Is that hard to understand?

Well, one reason nobody answered that question until a while into the thread might well have been that that information is easy enough to find through a web search for bonuses by round. If you managed to find this place on the web, you could have found the answer to that question on the web as it's fact-based, not opinion or advice.

Arriving at a site like this without that kind of basic information is yet another reason people suspect you should be asked to "pull the other one, it's got bells on".

And yes, it is hard to understand why the parent of a freshman in high school is (almost four years before the child will even be eligible for the draft) looking for reassurance from internet posters that said child (sight unseen & no knowledge of the competition he faces)will be drafted high enough to receive 6-7 figures in bonus money AND that MiLB remuneration will be overhauled to fit his perceptions.
TPM, I think you had it right the first time as far as this poster. ("Im"poster perhaps?) Either that or someone truly just fell off the proverbial turnip truck.

Nonetheless, others may well be interested in the info.

Every year Parade magazine (the one that comes in your Sunday paper) runs a "what people earn" edition, giving all sorts of occupations and the salaries earned in them. Always a few celebrities thrown in just for whimsy, but the rest are pretty enlightening.

Last year, our local paper added a story of its own, adding a few local folks to the mix. One was a player with the Richmond Braves (AAA), not on the MLB 40-man roster. His pay was listed as $16,000/year. That's gross, as in before taxes, folks. I suppose he might make a few more bucks if he heads to the Carribbean for winter ball. Or, like some of our local pros, he might spend his winter doing instructional camps at the local baseball academies. But basically, it's subsistence wages until you hit the bigs. Most of these guys live in low-rent apartments with SEVERAL teammates packed in there to split the rent and utilities. And they don't always eat well, either. You can make a better living selling shoes at the mall.

As for bonuses, PGCrosschecker.com can list for you what every player in the top 10 rounds of the June 2007 draft got as their bonuses. I think Baseball America also publishes the same info. Maybe you're Justin Upton or Rick Porcello or Matt Wieters and you can command $6 million. By pick # 10 it's $2 million. By the end of the first round it's $1 million and we've only gone 30 players deep, high school and college draftees combined. By the end of the supplemental first round, you're down around 500k, which is about 320k after taxes. By then we're talking about 60 kids out of literally millions of players with the dream. Meaning, good luck to you! Your odds are probably better buying lottery tickets at the local 7-11.

The way MLB looks at it is like this. They take everyone they really want by the 10th or 15th round tops. Then they may take a few "fliers" on kids considered "unsignable". Then they spend the last 30 rounds filling out the rosters on their low minor leagues' teams. They don't really expect any of those kids to make it, though they get their chances to prove them all wrong, and occasionally someone does overcome the odds and get to MLB in spite of it all. (Mike Piazza being the big story in that vein, but there are others.)

The ones they view as prospects get signing bonuses and educational money to entice them into the career. The others, if you come or don't come, it's no big deal to the MLB farm programs. Plenty more where those came from. It's a revolving door, as new blood comes in every year, sees what the life really is, and moves on after a few years.

You have to love the game to get through this. Talk to lots of former pros and you will hear the bitterness that often lies on the back end of chasing the dream. A lot of big dreams get crushed.

Focusing on education first and baseball second is the best advice in this thread.
I'm reminded of the following true story.

One year, Midlo Son played in a recreational basketball league because he got cut from his 8th grade school team. At one game, a parent of another boy on our team got in my ear about how much his son loved the game and dreamed of making it big. "He wants to play for Duke!", Dad exclaimed.

Not sure how to respond, I said, "That's setting the bar a bit high, don't you think?" After all, this kid, like mine, had just gotten cut from the middle school team. The dad stared at me all glassy eyed. I began to wonder if he was, shall we say, impaired.

Nice kid, but 4 years later he's never made any school basketball team at any level.

It's OK for kids to dream, but some parents do need a reality check. And while it's great to encourage dreams, the parent must also administer doses of common sense. As in, "Keep your grades up, son!"
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando:
[And yes, it is hard to understand why the parent of a freshman in high school is (almost four years before the child will even be eligible for the draft) looking for reassurance from internet posters that said child (sight unseen & no knowledge of the competition he faces)will be drafted high enough to receive 6-7 figures in bonus money AND that MiLB remuneration will be overhauled to fit his perceptions.

Sorry, Orlando, you may never met a guy like me before. I am not mad at anyone who misunderstand me.
I thought I am "crazy" too. I search the intetnet, saw some players with their # of picks and 6-7 figure tag after their name. I just don't understand what does it mean. I wonder he is paid right away or sometime later, I wonder is everyone paid that way or little bit less. That's why I was shocked a minor leaguer paid at $1100 per month. Am I way over the line or just stupid? People work in different areas got their own specialty. You ask Mr. Albert Enstain how to fix a car, guess what answer you will get. I have said number of times, I am a outsider, have very few knowlege of the baseball system. That's why I need help.
Last edited by StarDad
Midlo Dad: you have the best post of the day, you got my mind clear like crystal now. Thank you very very much. What I really want is set a goal for my son to work on, now I know making the top 60 in the nation is the only way to do it. Well, if he can't be the Top 60 after HS, he should go to a good college and get a respectable degree while play baseball. If he can't make the top 60 after college, he should forget about baseball all together. No more argument, I've been helped. Thanks everyone.
BTW, hey, get to the top 60 in the nation then I can get my investment back, right? uhm, I can get a good sleep tonight now.
Last edited by StarDad
StarDad - you are misguided, you have the wrong motivation, and you wish to profit through the birth of your son. None of which are admirable traits.

The kids who make it, do so for the love of the game, not any financial reward. The Love OF The Game. If you or your son do not have this insatiable drive and dream of enjoying the baseball experience at each level you (your son) will not, nor will he deserve to make it to the show. IMHO
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
STARDAD
assuming you are for real and not a troll let me say this
You need to get real grip on life and very quickly before you destroy your son and you go into therapy

You want a baseball star--you are in such deep believe-- "it's even deeper than believing in God"

Excuse me sir---you need HELP !!!!

Well, I've been helped, you are late for the party.
I am that kind of a guy. I grew up this way all the way till 40s now. Set a high but reachable goal and work on it. Do you watch the world series of Poker?
if 9 people out of 8000 people can get to the final table , why can't I? Assume I have the Brain and talent. I am a gambler of life. I believe life time success is there for everyone, just matter of what do you want and how bad do you want it?
Last edited by StarDad
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
StarDad - you are misguided, you have the wrong motivation, and you wish to profit through the birth of your son. None of which are admirable traits.

The kids who make it, do so for the love of the game, not any financial reward. The Love OF The Game. If you or your son do not have this insatiable drive and dream of enjoying the baseball experience at each level you (your son) will not, nor will he deserve to make it to the show. IMHO

No, I believe talent and talent only. The profit will come with it. I am a business man, I will only invest on resonable project. I see the talent of my son. I feel play baseball is his best potential. So I will help him on his way. Football player get quicker and much more money than a minor leaguer, why don't I let my son play football? Because I see no football talent from him. That's the reason Simple and easy.
Stargazer you will find that their are thosands and thousands of young talenetd players out there. Most of them never play ball past HS.
You are spouting some of the most rediculous garbage. But then again you are not the 1st. You also stike me as having no BB knowlege what so ever. If you set high standards work on your English.

If 9 people out of 8000 is considered by you as good odds you don't have a clue about the odds of making it to the ML.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
Link copied to your clipboard.