Skip to main content

My Son -RHP-has pretty much made the decision to transfer as it would appear the coach isn't giving him a real chance .  Swelled rosters, favoring scholarship players(of course) ,large fall class coming in,etc etc.

with the season probably ending end of may and him not being on the travel roster do you think it would benefit him now to go into the portal or just wait till after the season's over(though he isn't playing)

another question is -is there any quiet period in D1 ?

thank you for any advice. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Id have him contact his travel coaches and have them reach out to the other schools who recruited him and see if they would be interested.  Entering the portal with no college stats for the current season and little from the COVID season prior is not an enticing resume.   If there are no opportunities elsewhere,staying to not risk hours that don't transfer may make sense.   The grass isn't always greener.   If those other schools are interested, travel coaches can tell him when to enter.

Right now I don't know if college coaches have time to look at the portal because they're very busy with their team.  but if you wait you will be competing for attention against Everyone else who waits until the season ends as well  as JUCO guys.  So I don't know.

@bandera posted:

Id have him contact his travel coaches and have them reach out to the other schools who recruited him and see if they would be interested.  Entering the portal with no college stats for the current season and little from the COVID season prior is not an enticing resume.   If there are no opportunities elsewhere,staying to not risk hours that don't transfer may make sense.   The grass isn't always greener.   If those other schools are interested, travel coaches can tell him when to enter.

Right now I don't know if college coaches have time to look at the portal because they're very busy with their team.  but if you wait you will be competing for attention against Everyone else who waits until the season ends as well  as JUCO guys.  So I don't know.

thank you.  this makes sense.  It has not been an easy road.   with the current changes the portal will be a zoo and there will be a ton of kids who have played a lot who will want to transfer for one reason or the other.  I think the best move is to get things organized with our contacts, and try to find a situation ourselves that is a fit.  Son has felt better throwing in past few weeks and remote driveline has been helping and visit to the facility in June should be a help also.

he will find a fit and prove these current guys made a mistake.

because he doesn't have any stats, he can't get there with his stats.  he needs another angle.  he needs his travel coaches, his pitching coaches, or whoever to be an advocate for him in lieu of having his stats speak for themselves.  His Driveline remote contact may be able to point him to a school that would be a better fit.  he should ask them.  use whatever connections you have as resources.

Is the school sending him to a summer league?  that might be a chance to demonstrate his ability and build a resume to sell to schools.  Also tweeting good video to Flatground would be a great way to show what he can do.

in the end, if there isn't any interest elsewhere due to the roster logjam, he might have to stick it out where he is and improve and convince the current coaches to put him on the field.  that's the main reason why I'd find out interest before entering the portal.  once you've entered the  portal you have burned your bridge for staying.  obviously he originally liked the school well enough to enroll there.  the coaches liked him well enough to survive the December cuts.  his future there may not be a dead end, but he will have to out work the coaches' current opinion of him (or wait out older guys departing) to get his shot.

it's going to be chaos in the transfer portal this year due to the bloated rosters and the same (or fewer) number of innings to divide up.  a lot of guys are not going to be happy with their playing time.  I wish him luck with whatever path he takes.

@12changeup posted:

thank you.  this makes sense.  It has not been an easy road.   with the current changes the portal will be a zoo and there will be a ton of kids who have played a lot who will want to transfer for one reason or the other.  I think the best move is to get things organized with our contacts, and try to find a situation ourselves that is a fit.  Son has felt better throwing in past few weeks and remote driveline has been helping and visit to the facility in June should be a help also.

he will find a fit and prove these current guys made a mistake.

Keep in mind that the NCAA reportedly approved the one-time transfer waiver recently. That would probably allow your son to transfer directly to another D1 school and play without sitting out for one season.

You can look a bit to the basketball transfer portal to see what we are in for.  There are a lot of guys that haven't found a new home (and a lot of them likely haven't entered yet, that will).  Some guys look to be stepping down to lower ranked programs but quite a few are performers at lower programs and transferring to better schools.  It is all relative.  There are kids at EVERY school who were expecting to play that aren't.  There are also top guys in mediocre programs seeing this as an opportunity to play for a CWS contender.  This summer will truly be the Wild Wild West. My son's team  (top 10) just played one of the lower P5 teams.  He told me about a conversation during warm ups.  A freshman from the other team was saying he had 13 innings and topped at 89 (12 era) , and was asking my freshman son about his experience.  He has had some injuries but has still not played what he expected.  He told the kid he had 4.5 innings  (5 era) and topped at 96.  The kids response was WTF?  To which my son replied...we have 23 pitchers and they all throw that hard.  It's not completely true, but its pretty close. A lot of kids think the grass is going to be greener, but I'm just not sure it is.  There are guys stuck in a log jam that could start other places.  With the one time transfer, a lot of them are not going to tough it out.  A lot of players that think it's going to clear out next year, may see a group of new faces transfer in.  When to go in?  I'd say wait until the season is over, I don't know that coaches are going to commit until they see what's on the table and most of that will happen end of May-July 1. That said, realize that this is one time that research and educating yourself on a program isn't going to be that helpful.  I agree with having someone gauge interest before you leave where you are.

Last edited by baseballhs

thank you for those numbers and the portal info. I appreciate it.  Just signed up for the D1 baseball site and I see the info now.   Son will decide by late next week if he is going on it .  we are strongly leaning that way based on recon so far.  UV Riverside- interesting. ...  I am sure there will be a lot more of similar type schools and situations flooding the portal shortly.

Fun times!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.