Skip to main content

@Consultant posted:

Question will the MLB miss the Pete Rose in the future? To scout a future Pete Rose will require  pro scout with FBI talent.

Bob

I feel as if that time is long gone, and it doesn't even matter if some FBI level pro-scout finds the next Pete Rose. The front office of MLB teams don't want that style of player. The simple truth is that putting the ball in play isn't valued as much anymore. K/BB/HR have dominated the style of MLB play for at least the last 10 to 20 years, and I see no changes coming anytime soon.

I feel as if that time is long gone, and it doesn't even matter if some FBI level pro-scout finds the next Pete Rose. The front office of MLB teams don't want that style of player. The simple truth is that putting the ball in play isn't valued as much anymore. K/BB/HR have dominated the style of MLB play for at least the last 10 to 20 years, and I see no changes coming anytime soon.

IMO, if Rose was coming up today he would bulk up, adapt his swing to 2021 and still be highly successful.

Nick Madrigal waves hello.

@JCG posted:

IMO, if Rose was coming up today he would bulk up, adapt his swing to 2021 and still be highly successful.

This goes along with what I posted.  By changing his body/approach/style etc.... he no longer plays like Pete Rose; therefore, becoming more desirable by MLB front office. 

@2022NYC  I have been waiting to see which GM will start the trend. It would be fun to watch an actual MLB team built around speed and true hard contact.

When a MLB team rejects the "launch angle" policy you will notice

1. hire new hitting instructors and new policy to the Minor League Managers.

2. the elimination of thin handle bats by the Club House Manager

3. Create a new strategy to beat the shift. "hit the ball where they are not!

4. Provide bonus for a high Batting Average and RBI's.

5. Scout hitters who can focus on the "seams"

6. Time prospects 1st to 3rd.

There are 4 teams that may adopt this formula.

Bob

I think the base is  still your hit tool. If you can barrel up good pitching regularly and you have some level of strength you can always get a little stronger and maybe optimize your launch angle a bit and add power.but if you can't hit you can't produce. Batting average isn't a big stat anymore but there needs to be some base level of hitting ability and even the 240 hitters in mlb batted .400 in HS and .300 in college.

@Consultant posted:

When a MLB team rejects the "launch angle" policy you will notice

1. hire new hitting instructors and new policy to the Minor League Managers.

2. the elimination of thin handle bats by the Club House Manager

3. Create a new strategy to beat the shift. "hit the ball where they are not!

4. Provide bonus for a high Batting Average and RBI's.

5. Scout hitters who can focus on the "seams"

6. Time prospects 1st to 3rd.

There are 4 teams that may adopt this formula.

Bob

Speaking of launch angle there is thought changing Benintendi’s launch angle and telling him to swing harder is what ruined him. Until the change he was on the verge of becoming a .300 BA, 20 HR guy with good foot speed.

He went from striking out 1 in 5+ at bats to 1 in 4 with less power. Then last year was a disaster until he got injured.

Yeah we only hear about the successful "swing change" stories, there are guys trying to alter launch angle and getting worse but you never hear about them.

The best Case is a guy like daniel murphy who was a decent hitter and then added some angle and became really good. But there are also cases who are not able to make a change or who overdo a change and then fail.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.