Skip to main content

The Whitney Young 2007 Summer Team schedule is coming soon. Young opens its summer schedule against Lane Tech at home on June 11.

Other games on the June/July schedule include, Evanston, Niles West, Maine East, Niles North, Notre Dame, New Trier, Deerfield, Glenbrook North, Highland Park and Lake Forest.

Playoffs for this IHSA Summer League begin July 16.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why knock Niles North? A lot of summer games depend on who is playing with the high school that day or who is with their travel team.

Both teams played well. That game had nothing to do with the quality of the Dominican team. Niles North had a guy pitching that throws heat. He was clocked cosistently between 87-89 at Frozen Ropes in April. No gun that day, but the loss did not reflect badly on WY.
I was not knocking NN. I am just amazed that WY can lose to a team that was 1-15 in conference and 10-23 overall during the spring, but comeback with a win against a team that is comprised of some of the best players in the Dominican Republic.

That is, if it really was the National team and not just a team made up of the people that can afford it no matter their talent level.
A couple of things...

Summer League for the most part means little to nothing until the playoffs in terms of who beats who.

Mark Ormand is a genius. He has promoted WY to the point where a pretty decent team (my son's sub-.500 team had little trouble with them this year or any of the 4 years they played them) has people thinking they are any more special than many other teams around.

My prediction is that they will be a good team next year but will be over rated at the beginning of the season.

Good luck to all.
IHSA Summer Playoffs are underway. This morning at Maine West it was Whitney Young getting the win.

Young - 8

Maine West - 4

Jason Ormond (7 IP; 4 Runs; 7 Hits, 2 K's, 2 BB) was the winning pitcher allowing only 2 earned runs and going the distance and was 2 for 4 at bat; Frank Gowder was big at the plate going 3 for 4 with 3 RBI's. Jack Cinoman was 3 for 5. This was a solid performance by Young to open the playoffs; congratulations to all.
Last edited by Dolphin Mom
Dolphin Mom: Saw your team today, You guys have a great team, tons of potential . you really had Naz on the ropes until the Grand Slam from Nazareth. Your guys just didn't seem to recover from that.
We all thought you had the game in the bag. Lyons Township playing now. Nice teams in west Sub bracket. Good luck next season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.