Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Heading to Enid in July for Connie Mack qualifier.  Spent 2 weeks there in 2015, and this is the last hurrah for the youngest. Hoping to go to Farmington the week after, as oldest says that was the baseball experience of his life.

Enid is a charming town and people/fans are really nice (need recommendations on sports bars though).

Great snow cones at the stadium also. 

Ad,

Great read! Baseball constantly provides opportunities to grow at both ends of the spectrum.  I grew up less than 2 hours from Enid.  Played several legion games and a few college games in Enid.  Is David Allen ballpark a completely new build or was it built on top of  the old Phillips University (I am guessing became NOC-Enid) field which If I remember correctly had a very unique layout, very short down the RF line with a green monster type fence in RF.

@LaunchAngle posted:

Ad,

Great read! Baseball constantly provides opportunities to grow at both ends of the spectrum.  I grew up less than 2 hours from Enid.  Played several legion games and a few college games in Enid.  Is David Allen ballpark a completely new build or was it built on top of  the old Phillips University (I am guessing became NOC-Enid) field which If I remember correctly had a very unique layout, very short down the RF line with a green monster type fence in RF.

Thank you. David Allen Memorial Ballpark was newly built in downtown Enid near the year 2000. The NOC Enid campus is the old Phillips University and Failing Field still exists on campus. It serves as the daily practice field for the Jets. Occasionally a game is played there if there is a schedule conflict w/ DAMB. Your recollection of the the park and it’s layout is correct.

@keewart posted:

Great article!

Tears.  Three times.

I loved learning about the stadium and hearing about baseball teams that I have not heard of before....(because I live in ACC land)

Congrats to the 2019 Jets!

Thank you. For obvious personal reasons NOC Enid is one of my favorite JuCo programs of all time. But there are elements that make it special to everyone. Enid has it’s own newspaper and still issues print copies. A sports writer is assigned to cover the Jets and an article is written about every game. During day games town residents show up at lunch or take off early to support the team. The players are well known around town. It’s like rolling the clock back to the 1930’s. Area teams all want to play at DAMB so the Jets only travel during conference play. In 2019 46 of their 60 games were played at home. NOC Enid is a somewhat hidden gem of a program. This is a photo of the SRO crowd of 4200 plus giving a standing ovation to Joan Allen during the National Championship Game. 88E61278-6053-4B8D-B7AE-1872195B1ADD

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 88E61278-6053-4B8D-B7AE-1872195B1ADD

Heading to Enid in July for Connie Mack qualifier.  Spent 2 weeks there in 2015, and this is the last hurrah for the youngest. Hoping to go to Farmington the week after, as oldest says that was the baseball experience of his life.

Enid is a charming town and people/fans are really nice (need recommendations on sports bars though).

Great snow cones at the stadium also.

Callahan’s in Downtown Enid & Napoli’s right across the street from DAMB

@edcoach posted:

Great story adbono.  My son played with Clay lockett and ej taylor at southern nazarene. Ej taylor led our conference in hitting this year and was a first team all American. We will miss him and his leadership more than his bat. (Biggest compliment I can give,)

EJ Taylor is one of my most favorite of all the players that I ever coached or that ever played with my son. When I sent him a text congratulating him on being named 1st Team All American the response I got back from him reminded me why.

@edcoach posted:

Adbono believe it or not he encouraged my son with some difficult decisions in a tough stretch of life that I'll always be greatful for. I'd love (selfishly) for him to return in a coaching manner to the team. I still have the pic you sent me of ej and your son

I actually find that very easy to believe. He and my son are very close. No doubt that EJ would make a great coach!

@2022NYC posted:

I agree, he is more than just a juco promoter and finger pointer on what's wrong with the game...oh wait I may be confusing the last part with RJM.  I kid of course. Can non ABSA members access the mag? The cover stories are very interesting

The magazine is free for members of American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA). The articles are always a good read and the subjects vary. I always look forward to mine showing up in the mailbox. There is an online version, of course, that is accessible but I’m sure it involves a nominal fee. Check the ABCA website.

Congratulations!  Of course, we have appreciated your writing on here for years.

Out of curiosity, what do they say is "The Purpose of High-School Baseball"?

Here are portions of the article written by Tom Doyle. The gist of it is “ get the focus off of trying to level the playing field. Get rid of the participation trophy mentality and back to teaching life lessons. Like everything in life isn’t fair. Some people are better than you at some things.”

E716D888-A0E6-4F0B-BE86-34138543F1793A7C0B44-ABFC-46D7-A4EB-6FABC59C18C6AB6915A7-142C-491B-8E2B-D7ECD536D790

Attachments

Images (3)
  • E716D888-A0E6-4F0B-BE86-34138543F179
  • 3A7C0B44-ABFC-46D7-A4EB-6FABC59C18C6
  • AB6915A7-142C-491B-8E2B-D7ECD536D790

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.