Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
quote:
You can't compare what a running back can't do in the NFL to what Gerhart can't do in college

What didn't he do in college?

He didn't win the Heisman trophy and that may turn out to be a blessing for him.

infielddad - you seem very knowledgable about Gerhart and I am sure have a history with pro football. What type of player do you see Gerhart projecting at the next level? Darrel Johnston? Riggans? Csonka? Larry Johnson? Michael Turner? Franco Harris? Pick your guy

Anbody remember Riggans in college? What college did he go to btw? I remember him with the Jets and he was decent but not great imho. Put him behind the hogs of the Redskins and he is a hall of famer (I think). Some of this depends on where a player winds up.
No, he didn't win the Heisman but he did win the Doak Walker as the Best Running back in college football.
I don't see him as a Csonka type because I don't think there are many/any like him.
Gerhart is a very good receiver.
He is also a very tough runner with deceptive speed.
There is part of the way he plays that reminds me of Tom Rathman, but he is faster and a better runner. Probably not as good a blocker, yet.
There is also a part of him that reminds me of Roger Craig. If you look at the video, you see very high knees and he really delivers a blow.
I would not have any issue equating him to Jim Kiick and/or Frank Gore. I think he is faster than Kiick and certainly bigger. Of course I am going by a failing memory, too. Wink
Finally, there is a toughness about him that reminds me of another very underrated Stanford 2 sport guy:

" For in 1991, John Lynch was not much of an NFL prospect. A quarterback-turned-safety at Stanford, he started three games as a junior. A second-round draft pick of the Florida Marlins as a pitcher, Lynch had pretty much decided to give up football as a senior to concentrate on baseball.

"Then along comes Bill Walsh, and I'm ready to go off to spring training," Lynch said. "He tells me, not only can I help the Stanford team, but I can play in the NFL at Pro Bowl level at safety. I was trying to be as respectful as possible, but I said, 'What makes you think that? I've started three games in college.'

"Not only did he tell me, but he had a tape. I only had about 10 good plays, but he would show me a play of myself and then a play of Ronnie Lott. He was a good salesman because after that day I called the Marlins and said, 'I'm going to come, but I'm also going to play football my senior year.' "

The following spring Lynch had become a mid-level NFL prospect, but there was no real reason for the Bucs to have any particular interest in him. That is, until Walsh called then-Bucs coach Sam Wyche.

Wyche had been a player for Walsh in Cincinnati and an assistant coach for him in San Francisco, and his old boss was calling with a tip that would help change the course of a franchise.

"Bill called me and said, 'Don't let this guy get away. He's the best leader and the best hitter you can hope for,' " Wyche said. "At the time, our competition was baseball. He was a bit of a gamble in the draft, so we had to make sure John wanted to play football. I did a total recruiting pitch for him."

By the reference to Lynch, I feel his best days are still in the future. He is getting better and he really works and takes huge pride in his team and teammates.
For some reason I have Riggins as a Kansas grad.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
What a player John Lynch was!

I think Bill Walsh was one of the best judges of talent the league has ever seen. It might be interesting to see Gerhart wind up with a team like Indianapolis where he could be a complimentary player on an outstanding team like Roger Craig was with SF.

Agreed on each point.
Bill Walsh was amazing in so many ways that just don't get much publicity. Talent evaluation was an area he has to be with the best ever in the NFL.
I would think Gerhart would have huge upside potential in an offense like the one run in San Diego. Would not disagree with the Colts, either.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.