Skip to main content

So -- we all hear, on a regular basis, how important it is for a kid to throw 90 these days -- not so much to contribute on HS teams but to be highly-recruited -- especially right-handed pitchers. And the number of kids that reach that mark has increased dramatically since the late 90's. I imagine there are 40-60 kids in Texas that reach/have reached 90.

But...in the first 20 games, Plano East has faced no 90+ guys (CG was injured).

Legend has it that there are several in the DFW area. Smile I thought it would be interesting to produce a documented list. Please don't contribute with speculation or heresay and let someone else mention your kid! Cool

The list certainly begins with BB, the Ft Worth lefty, and two kids from Prestonwood.....but who has seen the gun readings?

I will update our "LIST" (WE LOVE LISTS!) with your feedback.

2007 DFW players (with year of graduation) throwing 90 -- in no particular order:
1. Jordan Swagerty ('08)
2. Hunter Hill ('07)
3. Brett Bruenig ('07)
4. Chris Winthrow ('07)
5. Conrad Flynn ('07)
6. Ryan Pressley ('07)
7. Bryan Dixon ('07)
8. Blake Beaven ('07)
9. Matt Thompson ('08)
10. Walker Kelly ('08)
11. Miles Hamblin ('07)
12. Brian Shore ('07)
13. Jeff Thompson ('07)
14. Brandon Workman ('07)
15. Stayton Thomas ('07)
16. Chad Bettis ('07)
17. Taylor Jungmann ('07)
18. Chase Reid ('07)
19. Chris Haney ('07)

Inadequate documentation:
1. Paul Petro ('11)
2. Forney JV ace
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TOURNAMENT NOTEBOOK
WWBA FALL CHAMPIONSHIP
Jupiter, Fla., October 26-30, 2006
TOURNAMENT NOTEBOOK
SUNDAY, Oct. 29

COMPILED BY ALLAN SIMPSON

The ’08 prospect who generated the most talk among scouts and college recruiters was Dallas Tigers two-way player Jordan Swagerty (Sachse, Texas), who stood out both on the mound and behind the plate. He was clocked at 93 mph in the first of his two pitching outings, while mixing in a hammer curve and plus changeup. But scouts say his future is behind the plate. He excelled in all phases of catching with power from both sides of the plate, particularly from the left side.

PERFECT GAME
302 Hunter Hill 0-0 0 Dallas TX Central Florida
Low 90s, our guys like him, probably needs to move up.

I have definatly seen the radar guns with JS @93mph and Hunter Hill @ 93mph also.

I have seen the gun with Chris Withrow pitching in the Tapps state playoffs @ 91
Last edited by BAAAACK
OK, I don't own a gun. I have thought about it but keep finding other baseball related expenses to pay for, new bat, next installment on summer ball club fees....

So, what is proper "gun" etiquette if you don't have one.

Is it Ok to sit behind the guy with the gun and look over their shoulder?

Can I ask them at the appropriate time?

If I don't see the numbers or they don't show me the numbers are they to be believed if I ask them and they tell me?
quote:
Originally posted by MeatsDad:
OK, I don't own a gun. I have thought about it but keep finding other baseball related expenses to pay for, new bat, next installment on summer ball club fees....

So, what is proper "gun" etiquette if you don't have one.

Is it Ok to sit behind the guy with the gun and look over their shoulder?
Can I ask them at the appropriate time?

If I don't see the numbers or they don't show me the numbers are they to be believed if I ask them and they tell me?

I think you have to buy a permit from Kermit. Just wear a pair of turf shoes,have a pad and pen and say, "Are you a scout too, how fast was that. I'm not packin, I left my gun out in the car."
Last edited by BAAAACK
Paul Petro was throwing his usual gas last night.

Hit 94mph 3 times last night, and that was on the only 3 sliders he threw.

This was on the Jugs gun so it's really probably more like 90mph.

The University of Fullride was there and offered him a scholarship. But from talking to his advisor, I think he's still keeping his options open.
On stalker gun Miles Hamblin sat 91-93 vs South Garland. Although vs Rockwall he didn't go any where near 90(84-85)

Did not see a gun last night but Chris Haney was bringing it last night.

I'm sure Crawdad has seen Hendon, Thompson and his son all hit the 90 mark. All pitch for Pine Tree.

Sounds like Dbat is still looking for pitching to me.
Had this same conversation a few weeks ago down here in Houston.

We all concluded that there really aren't that many kids throwing 90+( either consistently or for strikes).

Best Katy has seen, and we have faced a lot of #1's, is probably 88 on a few high fastballs.

Our #1 throws 84-85 with a mean Change and Duece. And by the way, he leads the Houston area in ERA.

Gas is great. But being a pitcher is even better.
Throw 90 means that the player pitches 90. Which means 75% of the pitchers fastballs are 90 or higher. Touch 90 is different. I would say there are at least 150 kids in Texas that touch 90. Some don't even pitch. Not many in Texas pitch 90. (Maybe 10 - 15 players) Here is a few that can pitch at 90 in North Texas.

Walden
Arrieta
Bettis
Workman
PD

Figured we were on the same page. We faced kid from Ft Bend isd that "throws" 90+ earlier in the year. We scored 7 runs on him in 2+ inn by hitting his 86-87 flat FB all over the field.

Kid from Cinco Ranch last year "threw" 88-89. Son said he never hit 85.

Bullpens are great, but pitching with a batter and the game going on is a whole other story.

My 12 year olds select coach happens to be a former All American and Major leaguer who swears by teaching these kids to PITCH. They work inside to get the outside. He preaches location, location and more location. He does not want every batter struckout. We won a tourney last weekend and we probably only had 10 K's in 3 games on Sunday. Most were ground balls and a few lazy fly balls.
With offense to no one, some coaches are afraid to call changeups because they have little confidence in their defense to make simple plays. Sad, but true. Ask a good hitter to name their worst nightmare --- I predict 9 out of 10 will mention a nasty changeup. In my opinion, fewer sliders = fewer TJ's. Few kids are put on the shelf for throwing too many fast balls and changeups. As a matter of fact, my son's pitching coach counts 2 changeups as one pitch in tracking pitch count. I suppose this is a different discussion but I don't think I'll start the topic, "Who's throwing 68?" Smile
Last edited by Panther Dad
quote:
Originally posted by Clemente21:
On stalker gun Miles Hamblin sat 91-93 vs South Garland. Although vs Rockwall he didn't go any where near 90(84-85)

Did not see a gun last night but Chris Haney was bringing it last night.

I'm sure Crawdad has seen Hendon, Thompson and his son all hit the 90 mark. All pitch for Pine Tree.

Sounds like Dbat is still looking for pitching to me.

I will put these out, but these figures are from our team's pitching charts - we have a manager gun and chart every pitch. The gun they use is a Stalker. I have never had to ask a scout (although some have told me at the games) what anyone is throwing since we have a complete chart available to the boys after the game.

Brian throws 89-92 - his "top" is 93
Jeff throws 88-90 - he has hit 91
Zane throws 87-89 - don't know what his "top" has been.

BTW, for anyone that knows Zane he is throwing the best I have ever seen him throw. His slider is one of the best (if not the best) I have seen in the summer or HS ball. It is the ultimate in nastiness. I think this kid is finally getting his act together.

Brian and Jeff are their usual selves and they start each of the two district games each week. So far we are 5-0 (14-2 overall)with these two pitching.

We really are lucky to have three very solid RH power pitchers on the team.

Clemente, tell Taylor hello from me and Brian. I guess ya'll don't come to Longview anymore since realignment.
Last edited by crawdad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.