Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you look at Bat Digest, virtually all BBCOR bats are within 5 mph exit velo from the hottest to the deadest.  They still have strong opinions on what they like and don't like.  They don't feel the same in the swing, MOI.  They have bigger or smaller sweet spots.  Vibration rings up your hands.  Bat Bros videos are less scientific but the same thing.  It's a very individual preference what you like.

No single piece bat has ever won any of their trials on either platform.  Is the extra performance worth an extra $200?  That's up to you.

A two piece bat allows more "design" in sweet spot size, MOI and vibration dampening.   There are certain combinations of things you can't achieve with a one piece aluminum or one piece composite and maintain BBCOR certification.

We tested about 20 bats in the cage at Better Baseball.  I "always" buy last years bat.  About $250 for a bat was my limit. Looking at the Trackman data, the consistency and exit velo of the 2 pc The Goods for junior was different and better than all the rest. He loved it.  I was screwed.

The hype, the marketing and the results happened to work for him.  If the results weren't there, I don't have the money to spend on it.

Personally, I thought a two piece was helpful for a young hitter up until 10U due to the fact that mishits sometimes made the hitter be tentative and less aggressive.  After that, while mine would complain about mishits when they happened (through HS), I felt it didn't cause him to be less aggressive (just try and hit it better).  Just like standing there for pitches.  No matter what level, a hitter doesn't like to get beaned (well, there was the one guy who did seem to enjoy it), there is a certain level when it doesn't impact their approach at the plate.

@JETSR71 posted:

If a good hitter can hit with anything, why do MLB players all have their own special turn of bat? Pujols and Trout don't use the same bat.

In a month, it's all wood bat anyway.

They all have their own preferences and their circumstances as MLB players allows for them to have their own bats - so why not. But all of that is beside the point. Pujols could hit just fine with Trouts bat and vice versa - because they are both have exceptional hitting mechanics.

@JETSR71 posted:

If a good hitter can hit with anything, why do MLB players all have their own special turn of bat? Pujols and Trout don't use the same bat.

In a month, it's all wood bat anyway.

Its all personal preference.  Some guys like more end weight, some like thin handles, some like giant knobs, some like a huge taper going to the knob.  

Its all about what feels best  in your hands.

Two piece composites normally will have a larger sweet spot along with a lighter swing weight. They can be a good option for young or smaller BBCOR players that are mostly single/double type hitters. Also, they can be a preferred option if your games are generally played in cooler weather due to the dampening effect of the connector....your hands don't get rung up like they would with a one piece allowing you to be a little more aggressive.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.