Skip to main content

I was just wondering why the major league scouts want to scout a pitcher at his first or second scrimmage. It would seem that they would want to wait until you have gotten a few innings in and gotten the rust off. Our coach doesn't even let pitchers throw from the windup or throw any breaking pitches at this point. My son is pitching his third inning since November and I know that at least 4 teams are coming to watch and I was concerned that his performance will not be as good as it will be after he gets some more innings in. Will the scouts come back if he looks rusty?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They also want to have a "baseline" performance to compare later performances.

Don't worry about why they're there, just relax & enjoy the ride.

BTW, don't say too much to the Scouts. Be polite, honest, sociable. But give no more info than necessary. Don't forget who signs their paychecks. They are just doing their jobs but they aren't there for your benefit either.
Remember also, scouts have to get in "playin' shape" too. Many will be heading to spring training, as well as early season college games later this month. This is especially true in sunbelt states like Texas. Lots of players, little time!
If they're there looking at your kid now, be happy. You'll probably see them again before the season is over.

"take your boy hunting'instead of hunting for your boy"
Well K2 - Your son is a lefty and mine is a righty, so you probably deserve the quote more than me. So will you share back with me?

Koufax played basketball as a freshman at my undergraduate alma mater - Univ. of Cincinnati. He was only there a year before he signed. But we still like to claim him.

Your son won't be shoveling snow at this time next year! Wink

Back from the game. My observation is they just wanted to see how hard he was throwing. The reason I say they were interested in velocity is because another player was hitting 88-89 that they hadn't seen before and even though he walked at least 5 batters in his two innings they still liked him. There were about ten scouts there with stalkers. My son threw two innings and hit 90 many times. Not his best game, but he didn't look as rusty as I thought he might.
justbaseball

Thanks for sharing. Young son has an "if" "instill fear", inked on the underside of the bill of his cap. Of course he also has "don't forget to duck"

If you haven't seen it Street & Smith has their 2004 Baseball Annual out at newstands and have a couple of pages on their HS AAT. E&D are cited. Congrats to E.
K2 - I think I like your young son! Wink Sounds like a winner to me.

I saw the magazine too - its so amazing. I used to read their basketball version as a kid looking at the recruiting lists and hoping my team (Bearcats) would land a top recruit. To see your own son in that magazine is yet another simply amazing step on this amazing journey - as you well know.

Congrats also to D. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing them face-off at a ballpark in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks baseonballs50. I was worried but the rust is coming off. His last two outings have been very good. 8 innings total with 15K's. He topped out at 94, but consistent at 88-91. There was only one scout at each game. More were planning on coming, but they kept rescheduling when he was going to pitch. Hopefully, what I read on this web site is true that "it only takes one."
It is about projection to a large degree. I however have noticed that if you want to go in top rounds that you had better be dominating and not start off too rusty. JMO

Last year my son had the opportunity to play against then #9, #31, #34 picks, a5th, and 20th rounder, as well (during his hs season). One thing that first 4 had in common was that they were smooth, consistent and dominating. Even the fifth rounder was 15-0. Where as the 20th rounder was not nearly as smooth nor dominating, but was very projectable and rougher around the edges.

Just bacause scouts are coming around does not mean that one will get drafted. Now if you are getting near the middle to end of the season and are seeing scouting directors and national crosscheckers then there is something to start getting worked up about, but that could still just be a top 15 rounder. jmo

the Florida Bombers
"I love the HSBBW"
Last edited {1}
I agree with Bighit, just because they are around early does not mean the player will get drafted.
Even if rusty and they like what they see, they might be back to see how he has progressed during the season. May becomes the deciding factor for many players. Some players don't have to work as hard as others, they have been on the radar screen for awhile.
Another good sign to look out for, if he has been approached by the MLB area scout and given a health questionaire, chances may be pretty good that his name will be considered in the draft. I do not know this for a fact, just been told.
Regional Scouts, national crosscheckers, Scouting Directors are a good sign also, however usually those are called in if the player is being considered for high draft picks or the first 20 rounds at least.
Try not to figure it out, just go with the flow.
PG,
You are correct they are alwys there no matter what time of year. But in this case we were discussing the draft. Would you agree or disagree that scouts showing up in May is a good indication that the player will be drafted?
What is your take on this?
We were told by a team that scouts would be around early because this is the time of year (spring training) that they are in FL. MAy is when some decisions are made. Is this typical for our state or doesn't it matter?
Baseballs50,

Do you mean May or March? I would think nearly all top prospects have been seen before May. The draft is in June. Yes, if they are back in May it would be a good indication, but not necessarily a sure thing with the draft.

The better the prospect the earlier and more often they want to see him. The scouts pictured above were there to see top "04" prospects in January, 5 months before the draft. Even more scouts show up at our PG Predraft in May and that's usually 3 weeks before the draft. Truth is, the more they're around, early and especially late, the more serious the draft interest. When the Crosschecker shows up it's even more serious. When the Scouting Director shows up it's very very serious, usually high round, interest. Unfortunately, the interst level can go up or down a lot on those days.
No Way 90,

If a player is considered a potential early pick, you will know ahead of time. One of the most important jobs in scouting is to assess signability. In other words, scouts will start asking questions regarding your level of interest in professional baseball. Most often this is done during home visits.

It is possible that a player can still get drafted in later rounds without much interest being shown.

There are many who are surprised they got picked so low.

There are very few who are surprised they got picked so early.

Usually this is the time of year when you hear of more than 100 players who will go in the first round. 100 players adds up to over 3 rounds worth of players (depending on the number of Supplemental picks each year).

If scouts are showing interest, be happy. We've seen people get so bent out of shape over the draft that they no longer can think clearly. One player a few years ago ended up running away from his home and family over the pressure involving the draft. All their worries and concerns just got out of hand.

To everyone who has a draft prospect son, please don't let it get the best of you. Try to enjoy it and keep telling yourself how lucky you are to have such a talented son.
PG Staff,

Thanks for the advice. We are very happy. My son has a great scholarship to a good college. To us this is just icing on the cake. Every time he pitches well I get nervous and wonder if I should be learning more just in case. He was a sleeper till this summer so all of this came pretty fast for us. July 1st are phone was ringing and The first letter that he ever received from a college was an offer. We were all surprised. He had no contact letters or anything before that. Of course no one saw him pitch before June 30th. It would be a big decision to have to make and one that I will want to be well informed on if it happened. Surprises like this summer are great, but sometimes a little knowledge is helpful. We have had a couple of home visits and filled out 18 questionairres. So we know there is some interest

We won't be getting bent out of shape over here. No matter what happens. This is fun!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.