Skip to main content

It's getting to be the middle of winter now and for all baseball people in the Midwest it can be a bit depressing to look out there and see the snow on the fields. I'm here to tell you why snow is important for baseball. Without a good snow cover, the grass will not be in nearly as good shape as it would be if there were none. It protects the grass against too much damage from extremely cold temps and helps it green up faster in the spring.

To that end (and maybe another one as well) I urge you all to pray for more snow in January and February...we won't need it after Feb. 15th so it won't interfere with the opening of baseball.

One more thing...what happened to those great snowflakes we had last year?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know a lot of you are not very happy about the foot or so of snow that we just got (that's we had here in Barrington) but I just wanted to put a positive spin on it for everyone. This snow is great for the fields. The needed ground moisture it will provide and the blanket for the grass (it ought to stay for a while) will go a long way in improving the condition of our fields come spring.

So, even though this may feel like it puts baseball a long way off, it was a good thing. I know I appreciated it! greenwinky
Last edited by FastballDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.