Skip to main content

Well I am somewhat of a "newbie" even though I actually joined the site in 07. My son is only 13 and an 8th grader so I kind of started looking at this site a "tad early"..lol. He just shakes his head and laughs everytime I mention something from this site or show him a clip.

(speaking of clips...Bum (I believe it was yours) he loved the one I showed him last night about your son..he was quite impressed to say the least that all the outs (21) were K's in that game. but I digress)

But I must say that as a newbie I enjoy the difference of opinions and personalities on this site. If I find something or someone to be abrasive I just make a comment in my head to myself and skip the rest of their posts. I think some may have (correctly or incorrectly) read more into TRhit's original post then might have been intended. But that is just my opinion.

I don't think there is a need for a "newbie" section per se..but I do think a blog section would be nice. I for one stumbled upon one of the posts that was a blog, the one that told of his son's final year and found it fascinating. there should be more of them...perhaps a parent section and a player section..to segregate them.

I think this particular thread has really run its course to be honest, I just wanted to give a somewhat "newbie" spin on it as I personally know none of you..lol. (I did meet two dads who were in cooperstown the same week as me in 2007 though...that was fun!!)

The "PC Police" are everywhere in our lives....lets not let them infiltrate this wonderful site as well!! In a few years I will hopefully be needing all the personal expertise that is available on here and would hate for the site to have died a slow death by then because people's comments were being censored for one reason or another. The scroll function is a wonderful way to avoid reading offensive material btw......

Well that's my 2 cents from the cold and dreary state of NH!!
Hsbbweb is like to ol’school play ground…lot’s of different groups…each poster will find their own group (or they will be assigned a group)….

the jock’s
the band
the outsider’s
the bully’s
the nerd’s
the floater’s
the punk’s
the bmoc
the principal
the teacher’s
the nark’s
the new kid’s
the cheerleader’s
the loser’s
the joker’s
the….

Well, you get the idea…regardless of the fact that you don’t want to believe it….just read post’s and you can normally figure out where they belong….

bty…I’m the kid with head gear and has low self esteem of himself… So, I’m on the outside looking in, wanting to be cool like O44, Fungo and PG.
Last edited by Bullwinkle
TRHit said:
quote:
TO whomever it affects:

I saw no need to interfere with your "fun"-- you have all shown why the site has become what it currently is---THERE IS NO LONGER FREEDOM OF SPEECH on this site--I just sat back and laughed at your hypocritcal posts

Just so you are aware, my posts are monitored by the powers to be, so my response to the young man was posted with Moderators Board approval

MS TPM this was not a attempt to bring down the site nor Julie---just because have disdain for me don't make it seem like I am some vicious scoundrel

For those concerned take a look in the mirror and you will see you all are doing exactly what you accuse me of doing-- much of what say in this thread is defaming me but you don't hear me complaining about it--it comes with the territory

Just look---one calls me immature and lacking tolerance ---another infers I am a chicken-- shall I go on--

Have a nice day and I hope you don't hurt your arms patting yoursleves and each other on the back

TRhit

Unlike you I have always understood there never was and never will be "freedom of speech" on the HSBBW. The "board manner" was written and published by Bob Howdeshell a long time ago and that is first thing he addresses.

"Posters will be expected to maintain basic courtesy toward the opinions of others. Please avoid flame wars or anything you KNOW will cause others to flame (aka "flame bait")."

"We expect members to agree or disagree in a civil manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated."

and he also said:
"For People Who Just Don't Get It":

If you have nothing constructive to provide on a forum (determined by any of the Board Administrators) your posts can be removed without warning. If you continue to make posts that offend any person or group, you may be banned. Further abuses or violation of these terms and conditions will result in an "abuse report" being filed with the offending parties ISP.

Fungo
quote:
Why is there a drop in the number of registered memebers on the site ?---as I type this there are but 24 registered members logged in and there are 12,607 registered members according to the stats on this site

I remember the days when we had oodles of registered memebers on line at all times---does not seem that way anymore

Any thoughts as to why ?

TRhit

Right there. The FIRST post in this thread.

What was your point?
Last edited by FormerObserver
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
TO whomever it affects:

I saw no need to interfere with your "fun"-- you have all shown why the site has become what it currently is---THERE IS NO LONGER FREEDOM OF SPEECH on this site--I

Speaking for those of us who believe these words should be used by people who truly respect the Constitution...since this site is not governed by Congress, "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" doesn't have to be guaranteed to every brilliant mind that comes along with an opinion on this site. Doesn't have to be provided to idiots either. In fact, this privately-owned site can sensor Nursery Rhymes, or Karma posts, or even HS box scores if they feel like it.
Last edited by wraggArm

quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
---another infers I am a chicken-

TR...I certainly hope you do not think I was the one inferring that you are a chicken...you're an old coot maybe, but not a chicken. I am an old smart a$$ for that matter.

I was merely making a light-hearted comment on that cartoon without any regard to the topic or personalities involved.

It was implied in the cartoon that you were the man and the cat had your tongue. The cartoon made me think of the comment that I posted...that the cat, not you, tasted like chicken.

If you think that I was calling you a chicken then I apologize for the misunderstanding...my smarta$$sedness gets me in some hot water from time to time.

Regarding this thread I am very much in support of anyone who supports taking political correctness to the trash heap.

In my opinion the whole politically correct movement has proven to be overly stifling and has been foisted on all of us by some omnipotent Big Brother type force. Good riddance to this scourge!

Common sense...please come home!

Last edited by gotwood4sale
TR asked if he offended. No, he did not offend me with his original post. Here's my beef, TR. Call it freedom of speech if you'd like. I'll try to be as honest as possible here.

Why is it you hold yourself to be the last true defender of "freedom of speech" on this site, and accuse us all of being hypocrites and politically correct wusses? Do you really believe yourself to be tougher or more true-blooded than the rest of us? That's offensive, to answer your question.

I am an 8th-generation American descended from a German immigrant whose son fought in the Revolutionary War to gain those free speech rights you so cherish.

My 4th generation forefather was at Ft. McHenry when Francis Scott Key wrote the Star-Spangled Banner and was disabled by a cannon ball.

My dad fought against the Japanese in World War II. My brother fought in Vietnam and Cambodia, and I myself served four years. My younger son will also be serving. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of other members on this website with similar stories.

IMHO TR, you need to step back and be a little less self-important and stop trying to prove how tough you are. You are not the defender of my rights or anyone else's rights. My family for one has paid in blood for those rights. You are just a member of a high school baseball website. So get back to baseball, get off your pulpit and stop preaching so much and I'll bet you no one, including me, could care less a month from now that this conversation even took place. I really hope you do, because I think you have a lot to offer and I know I have learned a lot from your posts. (Yes, I actually do enjoy most of your posts.) I don't want you monitored or banned or ostracized or held in contempt. But enough's enough. It's like a neighborhood with a continuously barking dog next door. We just want it to breathe.
I guess I'm next...... Red Face

Since I received a pm from TR (not sure if it was generic or personal Smile), thought I would take a second to respond to this subject one final time.

We all see, hear and react to things differently. From where I'm from (South) and the way I was raised, some of the delivery methods of TR and some others could be considered a little strong, if not bordering on rude. Again, that's just me and my opinion. To others it might be completely appropriate and have no distastefulness to it whatsoever. On the flip side, some of my responses or jokes (cartoons) might be considered distasteful and should be kept out since they have no informative value at all. If it were relayed to me that it was hurtful or disrespectful to someone, I would remove it and/or apologize ASAP.

What I don't have a problem with is anyone calling me out either publicly or privately (PM) when they disagree with anything I say or do. If a moderator feels it's necessary to delete a post of mine, that's fine as well, just explain to me why.

And like most here, if a player or parent request info that my be very beneficial, I try to deliver it in the most meaningful and tactful way.

There is no one here in cyberspace I have any hard feelings for and hopefully despite the really, really horrible PM's I keep getting, the feelings are mutual. Wink (just kidding)
Last edited by Danny Boydston
As a "Moderator" on this site, I'll weigh in again. First, let me say that I've had a couple of converstations with TRHit. He's always been good to me and offered advice/support/... knowing some of the trials and tribulations I've gone through as a moderator of this site. I've always appreciated that. He is, in fact, one of those members of this site that have "been there done that." I've always respected that.

Per the "free speech," this site has a set of guidelines governing participation. Do all of the moderators enforce them evenly? No. Why? It isn't as simple as reading a list of board manners and applying them. Often a poster's history also has to be taken into account. That would include the practice of warning a poster that they are walking a fine line and to please reconsider their posting habits. I do not believe that this then means "political correctness." One can make one's point without attack, being rude, being overly aggressive,... I'm sure every moderator on this site has posters in their forums earmarked for reports when those posters post. I certainly do. TRHit would understand why given what he knows about what happened to me as a result of being a moderator on this site. In fact, his welcomed and concerned phone calls kept my spirits up during that time.

I'd ask everyone here to reflect on their time on this board. I'd ask everyone here to be reflective of the real reason this board exist. Certainly, we all have agendas. I do! I've posted them before but they would include making contacts for my players and getting them into college. We should not be about winning arguments. Flaming boards exist all over the place. If that is your cup of tea, fine. Go to one of those sites and have at it.

All of the above is my opinion. As I've posted hundreds of times, my opinion and roughly $6+ will get you an extra value meal at Micky D's.

Take care,

Darrell Butler
Last edited by CoachB25
I don’t think anyone on this site has a problem with directness, brutal honesty, bluntness, telling it like it is, a gruff delivery method, some political incorrectness or anything else if it adds value to the conversation.

The problem with a lot of TR’s glass is half empty, cynical, life was better yesterday posts is that they add no value to the conversation. It is becoming more noticeable that they add no value because now when he sticks one of his two liners into a thread it is often just ignored. Sometimes I scratch my head after reading one of these two liners and wonder why he even wasted his time typing it.

His personal attacks on a certain poster have also grown old.

TR also has a lot to offer. He starts some great topics, has a wealth of experience and knowledge that he is willing to share, and at times offers good, direct, to the point advice. I enjoy reading about the experiences of his sons, his team, their journey through the recruiting process, and the lessons learned. I don’t think anyone has an issue with these types of posts no matter the delivery. It’s the posts mentioned above that I think some people are tired of and give TR the less than stellar reputation as a valuable contributor that some of the other HSBBWeb Old Timers deservedly enjoy.
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
What about that group hug. I've already gotten some of the old timers to bury the hatchet, bring it together, start the hug, and in the holiday spirit put this "behind" us. Come on and join us

Gotwood, we've already saved a spot in the middle just for you.

Wow RZ1. I just got very bad feelings about the spot in the middle statement. I feel like I need a shower. EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
What about that group hug. I've already gotten some of the old timers to bury the hatchet, bring it together, start the hug, and in the holiday spirit put this "behind" us. Come on and join us

Gotwood, we've already saved a spot in the middle just for you.

"rz1, you are a bad man. A very, very bad man!"

Wack-a doodle..dandy?

Wack-a Doodle went to town
a-riding on a pony.
Stuck a feather in his hat
and called it macaroni.

Wack-a Doodle, keep it up!
Wack-a Doodle dandy.
Mind the music and the step
and with the girls be handy!

Father and I went down to camp
along with Captain Gooding.
And there we saw the men and boys
as thick as hasty pudding.

Wack-a Doodle dandy.

There was Captain Washington
upon a slapping stallion.
A-giving orders to his men
I guess there was a million.

Wack-a Doodle dandy.

You know FO...on second thought maybe you were right!

And SOUTHPAW...I'm glad you're having fun!

Wink
Last edited by gotwood4sale
quote:

His personal attacks on a certain poster have also grown old.

I am not sure who you are referring to but I have been the object of many personal attacks for years from TR. Interesting, many people have basically said the same thing that I have in their posts about the purpose of this topic, and even after some things implied that may not be very nice by others, notice who got mentioned in his post that was edited by Fungo?

A lot of what went on has been baiting, and I unfortunetly took the bait many times. Not that I haven't been guilty of it myself on occassion, but actually this has been something that I have been enduring for YEARS.

I had been asked not to respond a few months ago, not to take the bait, and I have complied. I also felt that this on many occassions took away from the original discussion and I realize that was not fair to you all.
Asking me to comply with that request by some might be considered taking away MY freedom of speech, yet I never complained about that because as Fungo states, there is no freedom of speech when it comes to following board rules or being asked by the owner of this site to comply (by the way she can tell you we don't ALWAYS agree Smile). I also have been accused of deleting and editing posts (which I do not) and at one point implications made that moderators could read private pm's, directed towards myself. All from the same person.

As far as moderating posts, I am not sure that ever has to be done if people just would do what they have been asked to. Which, in my understanding, is following board rules.

All I know is that on another site I read, there is no tolernace, in fact the rules say, "if we don't like what you post, you're toast". Never heard one person complain.

I think that this topic has run its course, I will not be the one to close it, but strongly suggest that it come to an end. There are a lot more interesting topics that can be useful than this that has gone on for 8 pages.

JMO.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
There are a lot more interesting topics that can be useful than this that has gone on for 8 pages

Come on people................HOW BOUT THAT GROUP HUG, WE'RE GETTING COLD WAITING. GALS HIKE UP THOSE KNICKERS AND GET IN HERE. THIS HAS GONE ON TO LONG. SOMEONE CLOSE THIS THREAD FOR GOOD AND LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.