Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't imagine any of the guys who stuck around for an extra year would take another year. But it still creates a problem with the underclassmen.

Oddly enough, if the 2021 season were to be cancelled and they decided not to award an additional year of eligibility, rosters would return back to normal.

But it won't happen, 2021 season will be played. Can't cancel spring, play football and basketball and then cancel spring again. That would be next level hypocrisy, even for the NCAA.

Last edited by PABaseball

I appreciate the optimism, but what precisely makes anyone feel the NCAA is capable of making a decision that controversial?  Precedent has been set.  Not just with baseball, but other college sports now.  Inertia is ever-present. Should the NCAA lop it off next year and slam the door on another year of eligibility, they'd have to come out and acknowledge their decision this year was bad/wrong.  They'll have to acknowledge they made large assumptions that did not pan out.  Call me cynical, but the can will end up further down the road.

@DanJ posted:

I appreciate the optimism, but what precisely makes anyone feel the NCAA is capable of making a decision that controversial?  Precedent has been set.  Not just with baseball, but other college sports now.  Inertia is ever-present. Should the NCAA lop it off next year and slam the door on another year of eligibility, they'd have to come out and acknowledge their decision this year was bad/wrong.  They'll have to acknowledge they made large assumptions that did not pan out.  Call me cynical, but the can will end up further down the road.

Of course they could also say that because of COVID, we have now given all athletes the missed/altered year back.  Moving forward we will no longer be extending eligibility as the backlog of players and financial burden to the schools is to great a burden.  We will facilitate the continuation of seasons as safely as possible in the hopes that a vaccine and therapies will be developed that allow for the safety of all students and staff.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.