Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here in Connecticut they have instituted a rule that HS Football teams cannot win by more than 50 points---a coach got suspended this week becauase he won by 50 plus points----BUT I understand he had his third string in the game mid way thru the second quarter

What is a coach to do ? --tell his substitute players not to play a hard---I think it is a very lame rule --perhaps putting the weak programs in their own conference would be a better idea--level the playing field for all programs concerned
Our local high school has about 4,000 students.

They were 8A (biggest class in Illinois)State Champions.

They are 8-0 and undefeated this year.

The coaches around here have way too much class to bury anybody.

You, as a coach, are supposed to care about the kids you're coaching and through "some sense of sportsmanship", think about the kids you're playing against.

Dear Coach: How do you think the 16-17-18 year old feels about being smoked 75-6?
------

And to all of you "oh well" guys, one day, I hope it happens to you and you'll see how it feels.
Last edited by BeenthereIL
Beenthere is more or less right on this one. Of course a 3rd stringer has worked hard for maybe 4 years and he finally gets to play....you can't ask him to lay down.

But there are schools in just about every conference that have many problems that makes it very difficult to compete with some of the strong schools in that conference. Money, small coaching staffs, poor facitlities and a student body that just doesn't participate, lack of parental involvement for various reasons and it all adds up to a circumstance that ends with these results.

It isn't fair to say shame on the losing team. Those kids may have done everything they could do in the situation and the result was unavoidable. They didn't put themselves in that conference or schedule that game, so don't put it on them. Or perhaps it depends on the sport. There are many schools that have very poor football and baseball teams who have basketball teams that could thoroughly humiliate some our finest schools if they played them.

The running clock helps, but maybe the coaches can effect things a bit to keep the numbers down.
Last edited by FastballDad
We were ahead of a very good team 35-0 this weekend. They have an excellent staff, good kids but somehow, they just didn't click on this night. That happens for some reason in every sport. Our staff substituted the other kids in early in the 4th in this game. Yes, the reserves gave up a touchdown right away and didn't manage a fist down on offense. Still, it was the right thing to do. A whole bunch of kids were able to say that they play significant time in the "Homecoming Game." 75-6? It'd be interesting to know the details.
You can also say its not the winning teams fault the losing team couldnt tackle. Im sure the offensive was running simple plays, not flea flickers and HB passes. I was always told you never stop playing...some baseball games get out even with a team going station to station. So lets say im a third string center fielder who gets 10 at bats a year...and my team is up 32-0....am i supposed to swing at anything close?
is that really what thats called? The kid who has to sacrafice his only at bat probably feels worse then the kids that are getting beat.

Again, I was always told you never stop playing you never stop trying. Thats what life is...because your up 12 or down 12...you dont stop playing. .000000001 percent make a living playing sports, so the best thing that atheltics do is shape people for the rest of their lives

when I was down at the exchange and someone would be down big money, guys would do what they could to help...but the guy next to him that was up 30 grand didnt just give up because he was up more. That place is filled with former big time athletes, some firms use that as a pre-req...and all of those guys credit sports for getting them there...its the always play never quit attitude

Nobody should ever go out of the way to make a fool out of someone....but if the basics cant be done its not the winning teams fault...you have your 4th string in, your running standard draw plays...what else could you do? take a knee the whole second half? now thats a great life lesson
I'm gonna have to agree with CoachB hereWink mainly for the reason that I was on the field sporting the white and black rather than their red and black. Believe it or not, our offense put up 330 yards, but only scored 7 points. Scoreboard does not tell you how the game actually went. We gave up two touchdowns early and then couldn't rebound back. We had 5!!! opportunities that we blew. So, that 35-7 score could have very easily had been 42-35 the other way around.

Sometimes you're just outmatched and a few mistakes can make the game appear lopsided.
Bill,

It wasn't Gordie that did that, it was Tony Delgado and he smoked a baseball team 75-2.

I called him (since he and I were Little League teammates at Dvorak Park in Chicago) and he "explained" what happened.

He said that the opposing team had a couple of girls out there and that he only brought one or two pitchers and 9 position players. Got out of hand early. Didn't excuse letting your 3 or 4 hitter go 8-9 in the game.

Surprisingly, a couple of years later, they LOST to the same school by a 3-2 or 4-2 score.

I think the school was Robert Morris...in its 1st or 2nd year of the baseball program.
What would feel worse...getting stomped on by 70 points, or having another team's 3rd string play "easy" on you and still lose by 50 points? I don't think the problem is in how the game is played, or how is it coached, but how the conference itself is setup. If there is a team that loses to any team by 70 points in their conference, maybe they shouldn't be there...?
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog 19:
I'm gonna have to agree with CoachB hereWink mainly for the reason that I was on the field sporting the white and black rather than their red and black. Believe it or not, our offense put up 330 yards, but only scored 7 points. Scoreboard does not tell you how the game actually went. We gave up two touchdowns early and then couldn't rebound back. We had 5!!! opportunities that we blew. So, that 35-7 score could have very easily had been 42-35 the other way around.

Sometimes you're just outmatched and a few mistakes can make the game appear lopsided.

Bulldog 19, there were several times in that game were you just missed on a pass or just fell short of a key first down or your team would have made that game REAL CLOSE. Again, proving the point that some times but not always the score isn't the only stat that indicates how tough or close the game is. The stats you provided prove this.
Too much jumping to conclusions without enough information. But, getting steam rolled is part of life the same as being the steam roller. You participate in sports long enough, you'll be on both sides. Deal with it. Some of us are acting as if losing by a big score is somehow a reflection on our worth as human beings or our ability to be loved or our chances at having a family or a good job. Baloney. Losing by a big score is simply a reflection of which team played better that particular game. Don't read so much into it.
quote:
Originally posted by soxnole:
A pretty simple solution would be to create a slaughter rule of 15 after 3 or 20 after 4.

3rd string baseball players btw, are few and far between!

Can someone tell me of a high school with more than 18 position players?

Soxnole,
I do agree with you on your solution for a slaughter rule.

However, you do not need more than 18 position players in order for there to be 3rd stringers. We had a few kids on my team who were 3rd stringers and not because we had 18 position players. It was because they could only play one position, ie. first. I can remember one player who had one varsity abat in two years. Should he have given up that atbat?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.