Skip to main content

14u son will be playing some wood bat tournaments starting in the spring and so I would like to get him a new wood bat for Christmas.  He has a 32" Marucci blem that he practices a lot with, and even though he hits ok with it it is very heavy - almost 31 oz. - and I was hoping to find a similar or better quality bat that is more a true drop 3 32/29.  I notice that Marucci has a "custom pro" option where you can specify the drop (up to drop 4, for an extra $10) - would that be a good option?  I'm also interested in normal weights for other good bat companies like LS, Chandler, Mizuno?  What closer-to-drop-3 wood bats would you recommend for a 14u?   

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Old south:

How heavy is his Chandler?  Seems like people rave about their bats - at $199 I hope so!  I'd love to know how close to drop 3 they are. 

People do rave about the Chandler bats!  Thing with Chandler is that a 14 year old player gets the same high quality wood as the MLB player gets.

Originally Posted by Old south:

How heavy is his Chandler?  Seems like people rave about their bats - at $199 I hope so!  I'd love to know how close to drop 3 they are. 

He swings a 33/30, but he is a very strong kid.  He'll also swing a 33 +2 (35 oz) during winter workouts.  In my opinion, the weight doesn't matter as much as a kid's mechanics.  Your son should swing what he's comfortable with and he can increase it as he gets older and stronger.  

He loves the Chandler bat and it has held up as well, or better then the Marucci.  In my opinion again, the maples hold up better then the ash bats.  When you do order a bat, just specify the length and weight you want.  With most bat companies a -3 bat is not a special order.

With B45, like Marucci< which is also a good bat (yellow birch I believe), you can also order a -4 (32/28) without an issue.  

I'm not sure if Chandler makes a -4 bat.

With Chandler, you should be able to find one for closer to $175...

http://www.hittersinc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=68_142

Originally Posted by CH10Dad:

People do rave about the Chandler bats!  Thing with Chandler is that a 14 year old player gets the same high quality wood as the MLB player gets.

... and dad pays for it.  

EDIT:  but I will say this, his Chandler bat has lasted through many games this year. He's faced a few kids throwing in the 80-86mph range, but we are not talking about very high level HS, college or pro pitchers here.  

He's used it in 50+ games this year and, I hate to say this as you know what will happen the next time he swings it, the bat hasn't broken.

Last edited by NYdad2017

I would recommend he look at a Baum bat. They are around $190 now but will last a couple of years for HS age kids. They are a composite wood bat and are almost unbreakable....my son has been using one (college) and it typically lasts him a full year and this includes BP every day, and summer wood bat league use. Nice balance good performance. 

Have your son try as many as he can so that he gets an idea of what profile he likes (271, 243, 273, 110, etc).  My son likes the 243 profile (normal knob, thin handle, extra large barrel) and prefers BWP maple bats over the others he has used (Maruci, MAX Bat, Mizuno).  My son's game bat is a BWP Pro Maple Lite, BL-243, 33.5", full cup, black barrel, royal blue handle.  The bat weights in at 29.5-30 oz so -3.5 to -4.  The cage bats he uses are 1/2 cup pro maple BWP bats and weigh in at -2 which is very similar to what his DeMarini and Rip-IT BBCOR bats actually weigh.  How long a bat lasts is directly related to where you hit the ball.  Hit it on the end or the handle and it will break.

My son swears by Zinger. He was introduced to them a couple years ago by a couple of MLB players.  Since they are local to us, he wanted to give them a try.  In 2 years he has had only 1 bat break, which they replaced immediately.  The staff over at Zinger has always been great to work with.  If you call them or are out at an event they are at, you can always do better than the price listed on the website.

www.zingerbats.com

I was using a kid's Old Hickory to hit fungos a while back and I really  liked the way it felt so I bought my kid a couple of their blems at $40 a pop.   He he loves them, and their quality control standards must be awfully high, as the apparent flaws in the bats are insignificant.

Originally Posted by 13LHPdad:

My son played a lot of baseball in wood bat leagues and tournaments.  He preference was bamboo, any brand.  Check one out and see how your son likes it.  They seemed to last longer as well.

My son had a Brett Bros bamboo for the cage, and a Bamboobat  before that. Both looked, felt and sounded great. (the finish on the Bamboobat is like  fine piece of furniture)  Both lasted a long time. But I wouldn't recommend either for games. From what I've seen and felt I don't think they  have the same pop as good, solid wood bat.

My involved with SSK Japan has provided knowledge. The 1st "bamboo" bat was designed by SSK to teach the HS hitters to concentrate on the "sweet" spot. If you hit the ball off the 2 " sweet spot the bat stringed.

Interesting.

Now Robert my son son sells the SSK to the MLB players including Robinson Cano.

We carry 4 dozen with our teams for our trip to Australia.

The SSK fungo is preferred by all pro scouts and ML coaches. Why?

Bob Williams

<www.goodwillseries.org>

Originally Posted by JCG:

My son played a lot of baseball in wood bat leagues and tournaments.  He preference was bamboo, any brand.  Check one out and see how your son likes it.  They seemed to last longer as well.

My son had a Brett Bros bamboo for the cage, and a Bamboobat  before that. Both looked, felt and sounded great. (the finish on the Bamboobat is like  fine piece of furniture)  Both lasted a long time. But I wouldn't recommend either for games. From what I've seen and felt I don't think they  have the same pop as good, solid wood bat.

I've never heard of a difference in performance between wood and bamboo.  I'll have to check that out for myself.  I don't recall my son ever noticing a change in the pop.

I've never heard of a difference in performance between wood and bamboo.  I'll have to check that out for myself.  I don't recall my son ever noticing a change in the pop.

I don't have any evidence of it other than my own perception.  But it makes sense to me that it should perform differently. A bamboo bat is  a laminated wood+glue  product, not single piece of wood, so I would expect it to perform somewhat differently, maybe better maybe worse, depending on how it was engineered.  

FWIW since they usually carry a BBCOR seal, I guess strictly speaking some organizations don't even regard bamboo bats as wood bats.

The BBCOR standard differentiates between wood and "non-wood" bats, and defines wood bats as only those made from a single piece of wood.  Anything else, even if made entirely of wood (which, incidentally, bamboo is not - technically, it's a grass), is a "non-wood bat" for the purposes of the rule, and must pass the BBCOR testing procedures and bear the BBCOR certification.

Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

FWIW since they usually carry a BBCOR seal, I guess strictly speaking some organizations don't even regard bamboo bats as wood bats.

Am I correct here, don't composite wood bats carry the same BBCOR seal?

Yep.

Then, and I'm not being facetious here, a bamboo or composite wood bat would be superior to ordinary wood, but probably less then BBCOR metal in it's performance?

EDIT:  thanks Edgar, we were typing at the same time.

Am I correct here, don't composite wood bats carry the same BBCOR seal?

Yep.

Then, and I'm not being facetious here, a bamboo or composite wood bat would be superior to ordinary wood, but probably less then BBCOR metal in it's performance?

EDIT:  thanks Edgar, we were typing at the same time.

I don't know. The wood-composite bat is certainly marketed as if it's superior to wood, and it's priced as if it's superior to wood. The fact that the handle is lighter, more durable, and has more whip than wood probably means that the bat does perform better than an all-wood bat.

As for the bamboo, it's priced at about half the cost of a good wood bat.  It's defnitely more durable.  I don't think it performs as well as wood, but that's my subjective opinion,  mostly  based in hitting flies with one. I can hit a lot further with an all wood bat.

I don't know. The wood-composite bat is certainly marketed as if it's superior to wood, and it's priced as if it's superior to wood. The fact that the handle is lighter, more durable, and has more whip than wood probably means that the bat does perform better than an all-wood bat.

I don't know what the testing shows, but I'd sure be surprised if wood composite and wood laminate bats didn't enjoy some of the same small advantages that other, truly "non-wood" BBCOR bats enjoy over wood bats.  If that weren't the case, what would be the point in lumping wood composite and wood laminate bats in with metal and composite as "non-wood" bats that have to go through the BBCOR certification process? 

Originally Posted by EdgarFan:

I don't know what the testing shows, but I'd sure be surprised if wood composite and wood laminate bats didn't enjoy some of the same small advantages that other, truly "non-wood" BBCOR bats enjoy over wood bats.  If that weren't the case, what would be the point in lumping wood composite and wood laminate bats in with metal and composite as "non-wood" bats that have to go through the BBCOR certification process? 

The consensus, albeit unscientific, of several people I know who've used both wood and various wood composites is that the wood composites are definitely lower performing than straight wood.

I think all bats that aren't one-piece wood have to go through the BBCOR testing just as a matter of simplicity.  I think the composite wood bats are built primarily for the durability advantage relative to wood, and because they're allowed in a lot of amateur wood leagues/tournaments, not because they're likely to hit as well as (or better) than wood.  That said, I imagine that if they weren't subject to the BBCOR requirements, someone would find a way to engineer one to outperform the standard, hence the need to be consistent on bats that aren't one piece of wood.

Having watched my son hit with all types of bats from metal to one piece wood to composite wood I see the following advantages for each. The metal bumps up (unrealistic?) performance, requires less skill to hit with due in part to a larger sweet spot along with reduced breakage possibilities . The one piece wood gives you only expected performance, requiring much higher skill levels due to small sweet spot and possibilities of breakage. The third option, composite wood, combines the two incorporating the smaller sweet spot with performance close to one piece wood while having reduced breakage potential. At least at the HS level the composite wood bats make sense from a player development aspect as well as an economic option. 

If you want to be a better hitter swing some type of wood. It's that simple.

JP uses Chandler. They custom-make bats, and so far, after a year of use, he's only broke one. The bad news is, it was his favorite -- and he broke it two weeks before Jupiter.

When I told Chandler he hoped to have a new one for the tournament, they actually made and shipped a new one -- customized with a slightly more tapered handle, which was his only wish -- in a week.

When I asked Lauren, the incredible woman there, how they were able to do it so fast (it's taking 4-6 weeks, she said, on average now) ... she said, "We're making it a priority to complete bats for boys going to Jupiter."

Can't beat that.

Hey ... on this subject, if anyone wants a brand new 33-30 Louisville Slugger MLB Prime Birch bat, JP wants to sell the one he won at the TrackMan event in Jupiter.

I can't find a picture of the actual bat online because it's so new, but it's a model C243 -- natural wood handle, wine barrel. Looks like the image below.

These birch models are $130 everywhere we look. He wants to try and get $100 to buy a Chandler.

If someone here buys it, I'll donate $20 of my own money (not JP's ) to HSBBW.

PM me.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.