Skip to main content

Both bats are 33"

Louisville Solo BBCOR one piece alloy.

Wood bat is 271 - actually the Victus model but it's the same as the Louisville Slugger C271.

Both are 30 ounces. But, obviously there is swing weight as a factor.

Batter usually barrels with the Solo and is on time. But, seems to be early with the wood bat. 

Is the swing weight that much lighter with the wood bat that would cause being early? Note this is maple and not ash.

Or, is the swing weight on the wood heavier and making the batter over compensate and rush?

Last edited by Francis7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@22and25 posted:

Not to start an argument but the c271 has a significant taper at the knob.  Perhaps that is a later adaptation by Louisville Slugger from the original 271 turning.  If the Victus bat is truly the same as the Louisville c271, I don't think lack of taper at the knob is the issue.

yup. Very little difference, if any, between the LS C271 and the Victus V271.

Do you know for a fact that the wood bat is 30oz?  Did you weigh it with a very accurate kitchen scale to the 1/8 of an oz?  I did that with all my son's bats, and very few were exactly 30 oz.  The weights varied from 27 1/2 oz to 32 oz for the same maple 33" bat you describe.  He swung a 33" bat for 3 years in high school and the sample size was probably 2 dozen bats, maybe more.

@Smitty28 posted:

Do you know for a fact that the wood bat is 30oz?  Did you weigh it with a very accurate kitchen scale to the 1/8 of an oz?  I did that with all my son's bats, and very few were exactly 30 oz.  The weights varied from 27 1/2 oz to 32 oz for the same maple 33" bat you describe.  He swung a 33" bat for 3 years in high school and the sample size was probably 2 dozen bats, maybe more.

Nope. Never weighed it. I just assumed it is 30 ounces. 

@mattys posted:

is it a mental thing?  how experienced is he hitting with wood>  i know a lot of guys, when they first start swinging wood, have the "do not get jammed" swing thought that creates a lot of rollover hits (and rings their hands anyway, lol)

I doubt that it is mental. He uses wood almost all the time in BP. He likes it better because it gives better feedback. And, he's been playing wood tournaments for a few years now.

@Consultant posted:

Moisture can add weight. do you live in a humid area, does your son choke the bat?

Do other players use the same bat? Is the bat used for "knocking" dirt off the spikes.

Do you "bone" the bat with a coke bottle? Do you see "fatigue" marks on the metal bat.

Have you tried the "birch" bat.

Bob

Not humid and he's the only one using. No boning, etc. He's had yellow birch before and liked it. Think it's too heavy with maple forcing him to over compensate and be early?

Ok, we have a postage scale. Here are the results. (Boy do we miss live sports—too much time on our hands!). All are 33 inches. All have a lizard skin grip. Weights in ounces. I didn’t know we had so many!

Batworx AP5 - Birch: 30.8

Batworx AP5 - Ash: 29.0

Marucci AP5 - Maple: 31.1

Warstic AP5 - Birch: 30.7

Warstic 271 Birch: 29.2

Easton S1 Composite (2016?)  31.7

Easton ADV Composite (2020): 31.2

Louisville Meta (2019–Red One): 31.0

2021 likes the AP5 (Birch) and ADV (Composite) the best. 

I had to break down what the bats are used for. Wood: Batworx are game bats. Other AP5s are cage bats. The 271 is not used. Composite: ADV is High School game bat. Meta was last year’s game bat and serves as backup for High School. S1 is used on yellow dimple balls at our community batting facility.

We collect equipment for our local police baseball equipment drive. Those bats that he doesn’t break will get a second lease on life there!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.