Skip to main content

Ended up getting an Old Hickory MT27 in maple. Bullseye! Took my son out for some BP today with it and that was the best I have ever seen him control a wood bat. He said that was the most easiest swinging woody he has ever swung before. He said the American Batsmith MT27 felt a bit heavier and end loaded compared to the Old Hickory. So after trying trying many numerous companies and turns I think he has finally found one that works for him.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Ended up getting an Old Hickory MT27 in maple. Bullseye! Took my son out for some BP today with it and that was the best I have ever seen him control a wood bat. He said that was the most easiest swinging woody he has ever swung before. He said the American Batsmith MT27 felt a bit heavier and end loaded compared to the Old Hickory. So after trying trying many numerous companies and turns I think he has finally found one that works for him.

Ended up putting the Old Hickory MT27, American Batsmith MT27, and his Baum bat on a scale. The American Batsmith and his Baum both came in at -2. The Old Hickory came in at -3.2. So that does help explain why he felt quicker with the Old Hick.

After a couple of weeks of practices and a weekend tournament, my son definitely like the Tatis a whole lot more than the EB12.  He said the Tatis feels more end loaded, and he likes that better.

While researching the various Victus models, I came across this video.  They say that V243 is the most end loaded.  But the Victus description is that this is just slightly end loaded.  Anyone has experience with this turn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ap_y_jlvR4

My son has been loving his Tatis. He’s crushing everything low in the zone. Higher fastballs have not been barreled as consistently. He hits those well with the JC24.

On a side note, I’ve seen a ton more bats breaking this summer. Maybe the kids are just a year older and this is common. One kid on son’s team has broken 2 Maruccis and 2 Victus so far in 3 tournaments. He’s a switch hitter and they’ve all broken while hitting lefty.

A metal bat, with its emphasized sweet spot, can cover up the kid’s lack of technique and strength. But, it can also pull the arms down with the weight. On the one hand, a wood bat material feels light enough to maintain swing balance, except for durability.

There is soo much good information in this thread (bbcor, wood, bat companies, turn models, balanced, end loaded, etc...) Please do yourself a favor and take the time to learn the subject.

FYI, Son swings The Goods much better than any balanced metal bat he has tried before. However, he flips back to a balanced Victus for wood tournaments.

@langra posted:

We've also had really good results with both Trinity and American Batsmith for birch. Currently using the BBI13HD from American Batsmith. This turn provides a barrel density that is unique. And the knob design creates a counterbalance that allows what would me a more end loaded barrel to feel balanced.

I worked briefly as a furniture maker and I love all things wood bats, but I don't understand how the turn could impact density. density is just a property of the wood in the specific billet. do they offer any explanation?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.