Skip to main content

I will preface by noting that I am generally a worrier to begin with, so if it wasn't this it'd be something else.

I can't help but wonder about the precarious financial situation all colleges with be in for the next several years. Mid-Majors in particular. Between the NCAA cutting funding to the D1s after the loss of March madness revenue, and colleges having to reimburse housing $ to students sent home and other Corona mitigation costs, I can't imagine what the landscape is going to look like for the near future.

My son and I discussed briefly the possible uncertainty that we are facing. Without his athletic scholarship, we will not be able to afford his school. We may be looking at plan B - and I'm not sure what that is yet.

https://www.espn.com/college-s...ivision-schools-375m

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am an administrator in a mid-major D1 University.  We will have some difficulties, but there was some of that $2.2T money for Universities, we are doing pretty much all of our courses with a full complement of students.  Some of the lessons learned from doing online courses could also bring benefits.  Personally, I am finding that some courses work online, while others not so much.  We will see, though.  We are building a new baseball stadium on our campus, and it hasn't been stopped.

I hope no programs will get killed altogether.

At the very least it will halt the desire to increase upon the 12 scholarships, extra paid assistant coach etc. That is regrettable as the public pressure on NCAA was increasing and this was a good time to push for chance but now the economic situation will be a good excuse to not expand money spending or worst case even cut money. I really hope they don't use this to decrease the number of scholarships but we can probably assume that for the next half decade there won't be any increase on the 12.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.