Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK I saved this for a time like this.

March 20, 2012

Perfect Game Toddlers announced

The industry leader in showcasing and scouting of the nations top 7-11 year olds announced today a new organization for tracking and following the most critical talent pool for baseball available; kids aged 2-6 years. “After extensive studies on MLB players we have found a direct correlation between high performance baseball skills and the performance of kids games such as; duck duck goose, four square, and ring around the posey” “We have found that kids that excel in hand eye coordination games that we used to think were for fun and entertainment for our kids actually translate into high performance baseball skills at the major league level” said program director Ferris Wheeler.

‘Our research has shown that if we can track toddler’s performance and help them improve their performance in kids games then they will be able to translate these skills directly to the baseball field, abet a few years later” We have found that for instance that the Hockey Pokey is a perfect warm up and cool activity, “you can warm up and cool down by shaking it all around” said Dr. I. Ball director of physical programs for PGT.

Although tailored and directed toward identifying the top 200 Toddlers in the United States this program is by no means meant to be exclusionary. “We think all kids need to participate in dodgeball and Jacks” said Dan Saul Knight Western Director for PGT.

Said Eastern Region Director Ginger Vitus “we will be sure to make sure that there will be opportunities for kids of all skill levels to participate” “though performance testing we can easily identify the top 200 toddlers without upsetting the play yard” she added.

I.P. Daily program devloper said “we will begin introductory showcases starting next week in Florida” we will initially focus the program on the South East and then we plan on actively introducing this program to the rest of the county”

Filling out the PGT staff will be Hy Ball, Director of Hockey Pokey, Iona Frisby, Director of duck duck goose, Lois Price, Director of Jacks, Noah Lott, Director of doggy where’s your bone, Sam Manilla, Director of red light green light, and finally Sum Yung Guy, Director of Marbles.

Once successful in the South East PGT plans on opening toddler development and testing centers across the United States. “We think that that this program will dovetail perfectly with Gymboree where kids were having fun, but not developing the necessary skills to make them rich and famous like we all want our kids to be” said National PGT spokesperson Constance Noring.

########
I have a 2 year old grandson. People tell us he is really something special. He is by far the best among the neighborhood toddlers. He has a "great" arm and can throw with both hands. I get the radar readings on every throw. We also have him running 60 yards just to get ready.

Here's what is bugging me... I want to know so I can get a better idea of where he is in his development. What is the average velocity for a two year old? And does anyone know what the average 60 yard time would be?
AntzDad,

That's always a dilemma at that age. After all, the older boy is nearly twice the age as my talented all star grandson. The older boy has so much more experience. Maybe I will get back into coaching. If that happens, the 3 year old is on the pine.

That's OK though, because they will all receive a participation trophy, whether they like it or not.
quote:
And does anyone know what the average 60 yard time would be?
The key to a quality 2U sixty time is not falling down.

When our kids were todlers we got their pictures taken about every four months at KMart. My son ran everywhere at age two. We sometimes had to delay taking his pictures. He was always falling on his face. When he got into baseball sliding head first came naturally.
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
Would your 2 year old grandson get to start over a 3 year old of equal talent (not talking about projection, here) in order to have an experienced player returning next season? Or, does the 3 year old start because he played last year and the position is his to lose?
I believe it's the preschooler's position to lose over the incoming todler.
Since we are among "friends" here I'll pass on a secret;

When drafting; go for thumb suckers. They tend to be a bit more relaxed and focused on the task "in-hand." Thus, easier to teach. Remember, right thumb suckers are normally left eye dominant so work on throwing and hitting from right side. If you see a left thumb sucker, you could be on to a future southpaw stud and you need to begin building his portfolio before he learns to run and others notice his potential.
Last edited by Prime9
quote:
I don't understand the need for the 100 pitch count limit for these young superstars.

My grandson is on a special 200 pitch every day program. We tell him to throw every pitch as hard as he can. His mechanics are not very good but we have taught him how to throw curveball, slider and split finger. He complains about throwing the split finger. He has trouble with that splitty for some reason.

We figure he will have Tommy John surgery by the time he is three. He will then take that year off to rehab and come back stronger than ever for that all important 4&Under year. Then if he blows out his arm again, he will have time to learn how to pitch with the other arm and go through all the agony again. After all, we have some very big plans for the little guy.

Hey!!! You can't baby these babies these days! Nope, we are going straight back to the good old days. Remember that old saying... What doesn't kill them, makes them stronger. Is anyone else testing out that theory on their kids?

BTW, does anyone here know when the child will become strong enough? Or do you only figure that out after you've killed them?
quote:
Originally posted by Proud Dad 24:
My child is a young 3 so I will be holding him back to play with the 2U team. The Director of the league says there will be college and pro scouts for little Johnny and that his mother and I should start putting together a video collage.

You've got it all backwards dad. If you want him to progress faster you really need to play him "up" with the 4U's, forcing him to sink or swim in that 4U deep-end of talent and skills. 26 is old in AA. Smile
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
I'll teach mine a spit ball. Or maybe it'll be a drool ball.

There we go, someone's raising the next Burleigh Grimes!

Oh, and my 3 year old neighbor won the home run derby against 7 year olds. The parents are considering creating a website and a select team for the kid.

(On a more serious note, it's sad how "travel", "select", and "showcase" baseball are so ubiquitous in many areas. Not so much here)
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
I don't understand the need for the 100 pitch count limit for these young superstars.
Me neither. I had Mike Marshall birth my 2U player. He's already done his two year training program.

I want to get my Grandson on his program. What size Iron balls and wrist weights are appropriate at this age?
My 3 year old was doing kettle bell training at 18 months. His new conditioning coach has him doing position specific weight training with heavy emphasis on squats and dead lifts. His flexibility coach has him doing pilates and yoga twice per week.

Speed and agility training starts at 4 years of age. I am not "pushing him" at all. He wants to do it.
I’ve got some concerns with consistency of effort in junior 3u's training efforts. Sometimes, usually about 10 minutes after two bowls of cocoa pebbles, energy is high and he whips through his workouts. Other times, usually about an hour after two bowls of cocoa pebbles, the fire just isn’t there.

No matter how many times I scream “you gotta WANT it!”, he just wants to take a nap.
Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.