Skip to main content

Maybe the stupidest thing I have posted here - and I know there's competition there. But, I thought it might be something to converse about, etc.

Your kid was a High School Baseball Player in 2020 and they didn't have any baseball games played last year. (May not apply to some states but could apply to others.)

When it comes to stating status in his recruiting or college baseball bio, how do you reflect 2020 in terms of "blank-year varsity player (or starter)"?

It seems easy for the 2023s. The don't get to say "four-year varsity player" ever - even if it's not their fault.

But what about the 2020s, 2021s and 2022s? If you were on varsity in 2019, is it just assumed that you would have been varsity in 2020 and you get to count that in your bio?

What if you are a 2021 and never played varsity in 2019? Do you get to say you were varsity in 2020 as an assumption?

Is there a difference if your team had practices before the season was canceled and it "looked like" you were going to make varsity (even though no rosters were set or games played)?

Last edited by Francis7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't think this is very important, but if you read bios for some colleges, they do list out such things.  My guess is that anyone who doesn't have a definitive answer will fib/stretch the truth.  Likely a higher number of "varsity" kids in 2020 versus years.  My 2021 son's team had completed spring high school tryouts before Covid 86'd everything.  Those that made the varsity squad actually did end up getting a letter from the school.  That letter and $5 will get you a small coffee at Starbucks.

I think you would have to list as did not play or if you did play then what level you played not what level you would have played if season had continued.  But I really do not think anyone cares other than the player and family because it was 2020 and everybody understands.  But don't lie.  If you did not play don't call your son a starter if he never started.  Or don't put varsity if he never played varsity.  Just be honest and no one will care.

I think that your "biography" is irrelevant in the scope of things.

Now what about letter jackets...........

Son started on varsity as a freshman.  Spent over $350 on jacket and patches for all-district / all-state / etc.

At the end of this summer we will purchase 2 baseball patches for last year:  "Covid - Sucks" and "#2 Ranked 5A at End of Year", and for this year we will purchase 1 for team success and 1 that says "ACL".

As he noted, it's his way of "saving me money".  I laughed and said "I would gladly have spent the money to see you on the field for these 2 years" and the cost of the surgery/rehab was/is way more than the letter jacket.

"It seems easy for the 2023s. The don't get to say "four-year varsity player" ever - even if it's not their fault."

how many games did they need to have gotten in to make it valid? my 2023's school got 5 or 6 games in. he started 3, was the first reliever in 2 and was injured (that wild and reckless PE Badminton strikes again) for the 6th.

@mattys posted:

"It seems easy for the 2023s. The don't get to say "four-year varsity player" ever - even if it's not their fault."

how many games did they need to have gotten in to make it valid? my 2023's school got 5 or 6 games in. he started 3, was the first reliever in 2 and was injured (that wild and reckless PE Badminton strikes again) for the 6th.

I would say he was a varsity player

College ball is all about “What can you do for me now?” No one cares how many years a kid was on high school varsity. Sometimes the number of years on varsity is a function of the strength of the high school program or the coach’s view on freshmen playing varsity. It’s just a bio blurb. If a prospect doesn’t think the coach is aware enough to know what happened in 2020 he can note the season was cancelled.

You're thinking way beyond relevance again.

When my kids were going through the recruiting process all we thought about was being on the right travel team for exposure, getting bigger, faster, stronger and better, are the right college contacts being made, grades and SAT scores. This alone can be overwhelming while waiting for feedback (offers) from colleges without concerning one’s self with all the peripheral stuff. Besides, these items I mentioned are controllable.

Last edited by RJM

I think that your "biography" is irrelevant in the scope of things.

Now what about letter jackets...........

Son started on varsity as a freshman.  Spent over $350 on jacket and patches for all-district / all-state / etc.

At the end of this summer we will purchase 2 baseball patches for last year:  "Covid - Sucks" and "#2 Ranked 5A at End of Year", and for this year we will purchase 1 for team success and 1 that says "ACL".

As he noted, it's his way of "saving me money".  I laughed and said "I would gladly have spent the money to see you on the field for these 2 years" and the cost of the surgery/rehab was/is way more than the letter jacket.

Your post reminded me of this patch. 71KJUA5u00L._AC_SL1500_

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 71KJUA5u00L._AC_SL1500_
@fenwaysouth posted:

Francis,

Played varsity or rostered varsity in 2020 is all the same.  Everybody with a brain stem understands 2020 was a challenging year where baseball activities, performance and details were not top of mind for those lucky enough to play.  Even more so for those that did not play.

Good luck!

Yeah, but what about a kid with a brain humanities?  How can they possibly be expected to recherché scientifique and hypothesize a possible truth?

Find out what a coach's major was and if wasn't STEM, stretch the truth as absolutely far as possible.

Last spring, my '22 was called up to Varsity 4 days before the season was called.  For two games he led the dugout in goofy cheers like his older two brothers had when they were at the school. Damn right I'm listing him as a 3 year varsity player. I know it will make a huge difference in his recruiting.  

Last edited by smokeminside

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.