Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When I was a kid, they used to say there was two successful types of MAJOR LEAGUE managers: The guy who did it a high level in the majors as a player and commanded respect for THAT (see Frank Robinson and Joe Torre). And, the guy who had the physical size that he just intimidated you by standing close to you (see Dallas Green). But, if you look around the MAJORS today, that's changed. Now, it's the guy who can navigate the egos of millionaires, follow instructions from the front office, one who doesn't need to be the one to get credit for success and keeps calm and answers all the questions at the daily TV post-game press conference.

Not sure about the minors? Used to be the guy who could baby sit and teach players how to act and play like a professional. Didn't need to be a former star or an intimidating monster. I think the role in the minors is still the same.

My layman's opinion on what makes a good manager is when they have the combination of:

1.Know the Game

2. Do what they say they are going to do

3. Don't Gas Light

4. Provide direct honest assessments and feedback that provides a path to success

5. Stay out of players way when they are doing things right (physically, mentally or mechanically) and intervene when they aren't , whether that's directly or through a coach.

6. #2 again and be consistent

Those things should gain her respect,  and if anyone just refuses to allow her to prove those things, then she should have the GM's backing to remove any of the malcontents.

On the flip side of the coin...there is a saying in professional sports that managers are "hired to be fired".  Just look at recent events in the NFL.   One year you are the darling of the league and know everything.   The next year you are a bum and have no idea what you are doing.   It is the same in every professional sport as players tune out managers and coaches.  The professional tennis and golf players are notorious for going through many coaches in a season.  MLB, NFL and NBA front offices go in a different direction a lot....I've always wondered how many different directions some of these teams can possibly go.....are you listening Washington Football Team or Baltimore Orioles?   I'm hoping the Yankees give her a long rope since she is the first, and there are more women to follow.  I'm crossing my fingers that she won't be the first female manager to be fired, but somebody is going to have that distinction.   Man or woman, it is tough being a professional sports manager.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.