Skip to main content

Anyone willing to answer some or all of the following questions?

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?

If he switched schools, why did he switch?

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? Sophomore now

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? D3

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?  He's staying through graduation or getting a job

If he switched schools, why did he switch?  N/A

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?   He didn't see any action.  D3 schedules were truncated to in conference only with no mid week game.  That lead to 3 games a weekend and very short rotations for pitchers.  He came into Freshman fall rehabbing a shoulder issue and got hurt at the start of spring practice but even if healthy he likely wasn't breaking into the rotation.  Only 1 Freshman pitcher saw any time - 5 IP but Freshman position players took time. Especially at Catcher.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?  100% mental grind and getting used to NOT playing two way.  Going from a guy anchoring 1B and hitting 3rd to a PO was difficult. Fighting through injuries.  Learning how to deal with a new Head Coach.  Realizing that he needed more time in weight room and trying to play with 23 year old graduate students.  On top of that his school is heavy on homework, tough graders and there is no such thing as "introductory" courses.  So finding time to focus on course work and really putting in the time needed to understand the subjects.  Oh, saying no to parties if you need time to study or rest.  Outside of that it was easy for him.....

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?  Did not meet HIS expectations even with all the advice his father gave him which came from this board.  Odd that  17/18 year old boys don't listen....

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Drill into him that there are no guarantees on playing time.   We read here frequently things along the lines of "my son is playing D2/D3 so he can play right away" or things along those lines.  Wipe that from your son's mind immediately and try to impart that he will have to go in ready to compete from the first practice.   No junior or senior is going to give away his time to a Freshman. It needs to be taken.  For D3 parents, he is there for a degree and to secure his future not as a baseball player.  Hey, can a D3 get drafted and make the show?  It happens but you might have a better shot at powerball. 

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?  I am confident that he will complete all 4 years.  He loves his teammates and coaches.  He's figured out how to manage workload and get the grades needed. He is not injured, he's at peak velo and he should get innings this year.   I just paid his Spring semester bill which means only 4 more to go but 3 full baseball seasons  (and 2 semester payments left for my daughter).  Time moves quickly.  Enjoy the journey.

OK, I have a couple projects I'm avoiding, so I'll go first - Edit - second. Good questions.

@Francis7 posted:

Fall 2017

D3

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?

Yes.

He stayed;  now his older brother.... that is another topic....

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?

Started from game one.

Coach wanted him to transform from a speed/contact guy to a power guy.  This took a lot of eating, a lot of lifting, and adjustments to his swing and approach. I think that was all challenging and surprising, but also fun for him.  The academics were a challenge too, plus there was a wildfire in our town that took out his BFF's house among many others, so that was a big distraction.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?

Excellent for everyone.  The best aspect, from a parent's perspective, was the culture of academic excellence fostered by the school, the program and the players themselves.  Seniors helped freshmen adjust to college level time management and work, and freshman paid that forward  when they became upperclassmen.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

For the kid, find out the team's regimen and any expectations for weight gain and get on that the summer before. Also, time management is the number one skill they must learn in order to succeed,  particularly at a HA, so get on that too.   As a parent, try to detach a little. Don't wear it if your kid's not playing, or if he's not playing well that day.  He's where he wants to be regardless.

Yeah, well, except for that whole pandemic thing.

Last edited by JCG

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? – 10 years ago

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? – D1

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? – One school all 4 years

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? – My son was passed over on the travel team for their 1st Spring series despite having a very good Fall.  He worked his way onto the travel team for the next series in the Spring.   When conference play started, he had earned a starting pitcher spot.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? – Too many to detail.  But if I had to pick one thing it would be how he stayed on top of his studies while playing college baseball.   Time management was never his strong suit in high school.   It became absolutely essential in college.  Something kicked in when he got to college.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? – I think it surpassed his expectations.  He had a great pitching coach and he was learning new things.  As an introvert, the college baseball social experience was new to him so he had to adapt.   My expectations centered around playing time and fairness.  I expected the Coach to always be fair and reward the best players by putting them in the lineup.  That didn’t always happen.  M son saw it too, but said very little about it.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? – This has been detailed on HSBBWeb many times.  But I’ll distill it down to 5 points.  First, show up in the best physical and baseball shape possible.  Second, competition for playing time is fierce.   It will be a grind.   Be prepared to compete like your baseball life depended on it.  Third, stay on top of your studies and don’t let anything trip you up academically. Manage your time like it is the most valuable thing in the world.   Fourth, be a great teammate and support everyone.   You don’t have to like all your teammates but you have to support them.  Fifth, don’t give the HC a reason to keep you out of the lineup.

PS...edited.  One more thing, college coaches seem make their minds up very quickly about incoming freshmen.  I hesitate to use the word "judgemental" but that is surely what it looks like.  The recruit is part of the solution or he is not.  Very few are given a second chance.  My son told me about a couple of very talented players that played it "cool" and nonchalant during the Fall of freshmen year.   It did not work out well for them at all despite what they did in practice after freshmen year...the HC had his mind made up.   Again, be ready to bust your hump immediately and make a positive impression.  College HC have many options.   The recruit has significantly less options.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? – No, he has a year of eligibility left.  He was hurt his junior year and therefore has a year left.  I don't see him taking advantage of that as he is working full time, married, has a mortgage and is getting a masters degree.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? 6 years ago

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? D1

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? Yes and masters

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? Pitched the top of the 9th in the first game with score 4-0. Left the game with the score 4-3 man on 2nd with no outs. They had to score 2 in the bottom of the ninth to get the win. He didn't see the field in the next 19 games.  Got mop up time and stopped the bleeding several times. Started to get innings with game on the line. Pitched about 25 innings.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? Had to become an expert in time management. His first semester was overwelming.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? The school he attended was a reach both academically and athletically, but it was the school where his grandfather was a professor, dream school. We were both just hoping he wouldn't get cut!!!

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Keep up on their schoolwork, work their butt off, be a good teammate, if they are not getting playing time, stay focused, take advanatage of opportunites,

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? 5 years, was injured his junior year.

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? last season

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? D2

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? n/a

If he switched schools, why did he switch? n/a

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? regular starter

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? the quality of pitching pretty much every game especially league games. 

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?  It was tougher than I thought overall.  I think he thought the same thing...he may have thought hed come in and dominate but he didnt as often as hed have liked.  Also, both of us were amazed that every team had several really good players..wayyyy different than high school...there werent many gimmes when it came to facing pitching...everything was pretty much 86-91 mph with a few outliers each way velocity-wise

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?  Come in ready to compete.  Dont get too high or too low  emotionally.  As for the parent...support your player though the highs and lows...be positive and dont criticize...let them talk about baseball on their terms for the most part...take them to lunch/dinner after the game if you can....enjoy every second

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? n/a

@Francis7 posted:

Tough question to start off with.  First freshman year was 2019 - redshirt, second freshman year was 2020 covid year - third freshman year was 2021.

Will finish undergrad degree this spring while completing soph year of eligibility. 

D1, Juco, D2

No. currently on school number 3

Scholly was not likely to be renewed at D1, so entered the portal.  Left Juco after graduating (2020 - covid year) because spending 3rd year of college at Juco would not have done anything for education

Redshirted.  Was told last week of March while stretching for practice.

Was not ready for personal attacks from HC  and when it was determined scholarship would not be renewed - everything from his personality to his faith - all in an effort to have him "volunteer" to enter portal -

It was not just him.  There were 4 others receiving similar treatment.

I think it missed -

Approach it a little like that NFL Films shot where the coach is yelling at his defense -

Watch the pass, watch the pass, watch the screen, watch the screen, watch the draw, watch the draw.....Ah hell, watch everything...

Baseball never changes... 50% of the roster plays and pitches, the other 50% either love it enough to keep fighting....or they don't...and your son is awesome no matter what...

If he loves the game...find somewhere to play it

He will complete 4 years of baseball and 6 years of college at the same time.  With a master's degree...

I think I'm finally starting to settle in at HSBBW because when I read this post's title, I guessed it was started by Franny before opening it!  Does that make me wise?  Or simply means I have a brain?  The jury's still out - more to follow...

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?  Just started back on August 2nd.

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Juco (Jayhawk conference Kansas)

If he switched schools, why did he switch?  His goal is to play years 3 and 4 at a D1.

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?  Playing time this fall was largely equal for the entire roster.  Next spring my best guess is that he'll play some, but not start.  Unless he's able to mash out of the gate.  Defensively, he's absolutely ready to start as a freshman in multiple positions.  No redshirts in the program that aren't medical.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?  Embarrassingly, it's probably that his PBR ranking and metrics meant absolutely nothing.  My son's ranking and metrics are significantly better than 97% of the players at the program and he was their first 2021 offer.  While I didn't expect that to guarantee him anything, I figured it would at least be SOME sort on an advantage for him.  Nope.  Nada.  That's something most newbie parents will struggle to believe.  That sort of thing MIGHT help some with recruiting, but means nothing once your cleats touch down on campus.  But it could be good news for recruits that are self-conscious about their ranking and metrics!

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?  Way too early to say, but as of now, things are proving harder than our initial expectations.  I think lots of us openly tell ourselves we know it'll be much harder than anything previous, but lots of us have kids who have always risen to the top and we still have a confidence in that.  But college ball doesn't care about your past confidence.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?  I HATE to give this advice because of what it means giving up, but I'd advise HS seniors to devote their last summer before college to playing against the best competition possible.  If you can get onto a summer collegiate league roster, do it.  My son opted to play legion ball this summer with his high school buddies under a green HS coach instead of travel ball or a collegiate league.  He didn't take a single day off from baseball/lifting/etc all summer, so it's not that he throttled back in favor of partying (but he absolutely still did party a lot) and relaxing.  But based on the difficultly he's had standing out with fall ball, I think playing in a collegiate summer league would have been best.  He most certainly EARNED the right to play with his buddies this summer, but there is a price associated with doing so.  It sucks that it's the world we live in, but succeeding in college baseball has terrible odds to begin with, so every advantage matters.

@DanJ posted:

I HATE to give this advice because of what it means giving up, but I'd advise HS seniors to devote their last summer before college to playing against the best competition possible.  If you can get onto a summer collegiate league roster, do it.  My son opted to play legion ball this summer with his high school buddies under a green HS coach instead of travel ball or a collegiate league.  He didn't take a single day off from baseball/lifting/etc all summer, so it's not that he throttled back in favor of partying (but he absolutely still did party a lot) and relaxing.  But based on the difficultly he's had standing out with fall ball, I think playing in a collegiate summer league would have been best.  He most certainly EARNED the right to play with his buddies this summer, but there is a price associated with doing so.  It sucks that it's the world we live in, but succeeding in college baseball has terrible odds to begin with, so every advantage matters.

I'm sure it varies by region, and it may be changing as well, but my son also played Legion during his rising Freshman year.  Or rather, Connie Mack - that's part of Legion, right? We didn't have a good, affordable, nearby collegiate option, and it allowed him to see and play with friends and to make some money.  Most of his teammates were either college students or college bound (mostly Juco) and the opposition was very similar.  They played one team frequently that had two incoming Pac 12 pitchers. There were poorer teams too but overall the competition was good enough to get him ready for the fall.  Fall at D3, BTW, is probably more crucial than any other division, as coaches  have very limited contact with the players.

@Francis7 posted:

Son#2 - 9 years ago

Son#3 - 6 years ago

Son#2 - D3, Acedemic

Son#3 - D2, finished Juco

Son#2 - Yes

Son#3 - No, stayed 2 years, 1 as RedShirt/Shoulder Labrum Tear, then 1 year at Juco (nothing further)

Son#3 - Grades and motivation to do school work

Son#2 - Every 4 games, Starting P

Son#3 - Pitched/relief opening weekend in a blowout loss, got a few more outings

Son#2 - He actually had to study in college... Some teammates wouldn't put in the effort - it's tough to be a P when your starting SS and CF struggled, but didn't put in the effort to be better.

Son#3 - Freedom has it's cost/price...

Son#2 - He's an athlete with the mentality of I'm going to play and he did - so in that aspect met... For me, happiness and joy at seeing him perform well at a sport he loved.

Son#3 - I would say it didn't meet mainly because he was compared against much better athletes. That FB you relied on in HS is BP for a college senior (as he found out in his first outing).  As a parent, proud / happy that we was able to accomplished, sad that the lure of continuing to play baseball wasn't enough to keep him studying.  Very frustrating as a parent that the college expects to pay the bills will not share certain information - there's a lot of take and hiding behind FERPA when all they want is for you to fill out your FAFSA.

Player - Make sure the school you choose passes the broken leg, arm, etc. test.  Will you be happy at the school if you cannot play your chosen sport. Be a great teammate and forget being that prima donna you were at your HS or travel team. Everyone is as good as you.  Remember how much that coach that recruited you said to you - guess what he's telling every player the same thing past, present, and especially future. 

Parents - Don't be a helicopter. If you watch the show Survivor, recall the phrase "you have done all you can do in this game, now your fate is in the hands of the jury" - there's a corollary there.  Be supportive, go to the games, cheer on the team, let your child talk to the coach... Don't be too surprised/upset if your child wants to go out with friends in the evening when you visit - trust me you don't want to be out to 2AM anyway... Get your child to sign their FERPA form before you drop them off or make a payment. It's the only way you will know how they're really doing in the classroom.

Son#2 - Yes, played all 4 years, then 3 years law school... His role changed Sr year to relief

Son#3 - No, grades - even at the Juco he failed one course... He had a D2 coach wanting him to join his program, but he chose not to.

Last year was his freshman year.

P5 D1

He is still there.

Less competitive D1 schools reached out to him through friends, etc. showing interest if he wanted to transfer, he chose to stay and work for a spot.

4 1/2 innings. Did not get a redshirt.

Changing his throwing pattern.  His first week he had arm tightening, they sent him to a doc who diagnosed him with a syndrome that can usually be treated with therapy.  He spent all fall working with the strength trainer, getting PT, and changing arm path.  He got to throw the last 2 weeks of Fall ball.  Was told in spring to go back to his old arm path, felt like he was starting over and didn't really feel comfortable in either path.  Rolled his ankle the last week in March and was out 4 weeks, never saw the field again.

Hard.  No in person classes, pretty isolating.  Huge rosters.  Very few opportunities. Went in as a top recruit in the country and for the school. Coach was hard mentally. Definite adjustment both for him and us to not see him playing. He questioned himself a lot.  Lost much of the confidence he had always had.  Made me wonder if he loved it anymore and prompted me to tell him again, that it was his life, and not to do anything based on perceived expectations.  It is very difficult to see your kid struggle with their confidence or see them unhappy when this has been such a major part of their life for so long.  I think most kids go through this their freshman year to some degree.

Control what you can control. Be an advocate for what you think your body needs in terms of training.  Go in strong and ready...a lot is decided in Fall ball. Realize it may be a work while you wait scenario (based on the school you choose).  We knew/he knew he was going into an extremely competitive environment (made much more so with covid), but we all thought he would have more opportunities than he had.  I think he would have had significant play time at some of the other schools that offered him, so you have to really weigh how you will feel not playing freshman year, if you have never had to do that.  We had a lot of freshmen that I have no doubt would be starters elsewhere who got almost no time. Prepare to be mentally tough...I think that is what the majority of the boys struggled with the most last year.

Still there this year.  So far much happier.

Last edited by baseballhs

Son #2  10

Son #3 in 3rd year

Son #2  Mid Major D1 The Citadel

Son #3 P5 University of Tennessee

Both LHP's

Son #2 Yes

Son #3 so far.  Will lack 2 classes to graduate in May.  Would have had them but with run last year in playoffs did not take them.

Son #2 Saturday Starter

Son #3 5.2 innings but was on track to get more.

Son #2 The Citadel  it was all a crazy experience.  He didn't have any clue what the military side would be like.

Son #3  Living on campus across from baseball field was a blessing.  Broke his ankle 2 weeks before Thanksgiving so had to spend the next four months doing recovery.  Pins and metal rods.

Son #2  he hated the school part but loved the baseball.  Not an ordinary experience for him or us.  Make sure your child knows what they are getting into with any military school.

Son #3  Great experience until the spring when Covid hit.  Were getting on bus to head to first SEC game when everything shut down.   The phone call about broke ankle was a nightmare.  Driving 3 hours wondering.  The overall experience was great.  Loved how the coaches and support staff made him take care of grades and how they took care of him when he got hurt.

Son #2  make sure the school is a fit.  Visit before you sign NLI   Son had never been on campus until 2 weeks before school started.

Son #3  Be ready for the competition.  It was harder than he thought to earn a spot.  So many guys competing for so few spots.

Son #2 yes.

For as much sht that gets flipped towards @Francis7, kudos are in order for this thread.  As well as those responding.  Thus far, people are willing to show a more sensitive/vulnerable side of things.  That's not at all easy and I sincerely appreciate it.  This is absolutely stuff that few are comfortable letting out and certainly things that PG, PBR, and many others never want shared.

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? #1: 2017-18, #2: 2019-20

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? D3 x 2

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? #1 yes, and #2 expects to but had doubts all the way up to the flight back to school this fall.

If he switched schools, why did he switch? NA

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? #1 Started right away (OF);

#2 was 4th outfielder, several defensive innings, ended up with 1AB before Covid hit in 2020.  

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? #1 balancing academic load w/baseball. #2 homesickness (it's NOT always sunny in Philadelphia and he felt out of place, as if he was the only chilled out surfer dude in SE PA), exhaustion from pre-med courses and 6am lifting sessions, disappointed but not shocked to not crack the starting lineup like his brother had.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? #1 surpassed for both of us. Started on a team that won conference and went to NCAA regionals

#2 miss/meets. Miss due, primarily, to COVID and discomfort socially. He chose his school because of its strong baseball program so wasn't completely surprised that he didn't crack starting lineup. Still disappointed though. Meets because he Is pencilled in as starting CF after a very strong fall. Thinks he would have been a starter in '21 but season completely cancelled.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Player: go into freshman fall as strong and in shape as possible. Expect nothing. Remember who/what got you there.  Parent: Give them space but don't disappear. Don't stress on playing time. Not in your control (it never was). See as many games as you can.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? #1 has two years left but graduated and is working.  #2 has 3 years left but hopes to graduate after 2.

Last edited by smokeminside

My son’s situation is a little unique. Due to injury and surgery he received his offer the summer after senior year for the following year. He was told if he came to school immediately he could try to walk on without guarantees. He chose to try to walk on the first year. He lost out to a late bloomer pitcher now in the majors. He offered to be a bullpen catcher freshman year to start building his connection to the team. His redshirt freshman year he received baseball money.

Freshman: ten years, Baseball: nine years

D1

He had five years to play four. He left with a BA and MBA.

NA

As previously explained he knew going in his offer was for the following year. His first six appearances were as a pinch runner. He played in the first game. Stole a base off a former travel teammate and scored. By mid season he was starting against right handed pitching.

His biggest surprise (due to my reaction) were his grades first semester. He learned he was actually going to have to work hard to get A’s. Once he started hitting the books it was how little free time he had between academics and baseball. Until college my son had mastered procrastination and falling out of trees while scoring a perfect ten when his feet hit the ground. He learned being a STEM major in college wasn’t going to be an easy ride.

His freshman year he was warned he might not make it as a walk on. He had a lot of stress on him his redshirt freshman year. I nearly died (beat one in six survival odds) in late February. I was in the hospital and rehab until April. Once I came out of my coma I kept reassuring him I would be fine, don’t fly home, focus on school, baseball and I’ll make it to a series in May.

My son made the same mistake I did. His additional mistake was not listening to my advice from experience. Don’t assume the academics will be easy. He was majoring in Economics/Quantitative Analytics aka Calculus. Don’t fall behind on reading assignments.

Everyone on the roster can play. Whether or not you win a position (and hold on to it) is likely to be more mental than physical.

No. He played through a broken bone in his foot his redshirt junior year. He had surgery after the season. He found out early February of redshirt senior year he needed a second surgery. He could have applied for a medical redshirt since he wasn’t officially redshirted his freshman year. After five years, two degrees and an awesome job (from a summer internship) on the horizon he decided he had enough college. Plus, he didn’t want to be twenty-four hanging out with teens. Since he was rostered he was in the dugout for home games.

I had a softball playing daughter. The answers are ..

Fifteen years, D1, Yes, NA, Fourth outfielder played in two-thirds of games, no surprises or challenges as things were as she expected, get ahead of the academics/daughter was so scared of the unknown as a STEM major she got a 4.0 first semester, Yes

Last edited by RJM
@Francis7 posted:

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? 2019

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? JuCo/D1/D2

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? 2 schools

If he switched schools, why did he switch? Transfer after JuCo

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? Started 46 games at 3B

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? Time management and playing thru an injury

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? He hit .381 in the middle of the order for a team that won a JuCo National Championship. His year exceeded his expectations and exceeded my wildest dreams.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? That has been well discussed. Show up ready to play.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?   No, he didn’t. An injury ended his playing career prematurely

@DanJ posted:

For as much sht that gets flipped towards @Francis7, kudos are in order for this thread.  As well as those responding.  Thus far, people are willing to show a more sensitive/vulnerable side of things.  That's not at all easy and I sincerely appreciate it.  This is absolutely stuff that few are comfortable letting out and certainly things that PG, PBR, and many others never want shared.

I just asked the question. All the credit should go to those answering. Much appreciated!

@Francis7 posted:

Anyone willing to answer some or all of the following questions? OK I'll "play"

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?  6 years ago

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?     D1

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? Stayed all 4 years

If he switched schools, why did he switch? n/a

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?   Starter from Game 1. Replaced 3 yr starter at 2nd base who became starting RF. RF had his best season and son and he remain good friends.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?  Players were BIG. Son also had more swing and a misses than he was accustomed. Big Test to start career at Texas A&M!  A really big challenge was not getting a hit until his 5th or 6th game. (started 1 for 21 or 1 for 23)). His coach hung with him. He was always a patient hitter, high OB%, who now had to swing at first pitch fastballs more.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? He knew going in that few would outwork him. His goal was to make the "travel squad" which he thought was a good possibility given his speed and versatility to play IF/OF. He played well in fall which carried over to his starting assignment. I honestly thought as a freshman (especially early on), son would PR or PH when a bunt was needed, or play as a sub in one-sided games. I thought if he played (and got on base) he would have his share of SBs.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Come in healthy and ready to go. If your son is a position player, it's important to play and get a # of ABs in summer prior. Get to know players of ALL classes not just your recruiting class. Don't underestimate the importance of fall games/intersquad games. Ask questions with players and coaches throughout to always better yourself.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? Yes. Drafted shortly after graduating from college. (Interesting that the number he was selected in draft was same number of his BA as a freshman)

Last edited by Ripken Fan

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?            Fall 2019

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?                       D2 -> D1

No - Transferred after 4th semester. He’s attending 2nd school now.

Many reasons - it made more sense to change than stay.

The 1st school was very small and rural, and really academically more like a high school than a university.  About 750 total students and over 50% were athletes.

He plans to be an engineer, and had already taken most of their  math and science courses.  If he stayed, he would have to major in math, but not get many courses relevant to his grad school goals.  Admittedly, he/we knew when he enrolled the school had no engineering degrees and he already planned on grad school afterward, but he was really underwhelmed by the available classes which would prepare him for grad school. Our thought going in was to do the dual degree program with a nearby larger school, but that turned out to be impossible with demands of the baseball program.

On the baseball field, he felt like he was able to compete and do well at that level, but he wasn't getting a chance to show it.  He had several appearances first season, but the season was shortened to about 20 games due to Covid.  The team then brought in 13 Juco/Transfer pitchers before his 2nd season, and there weren't enough innings for everybody. Halfway through his second season, he still hadn't seen the field.

Started off pretty well - he came in to the very first team game of his freshman career in the bottom of the eighth inning with his team losing by 1 run.  He threw a clean inning, and then his team scored 2 to walk it off and he got a win.  2nd game of the double-header, he came in trailing again, and did OK except for leaving a fastball middle-middle and watching it sail 400 feet.

So, after the first day of his college career, he led the team in Wins, Appearances, and Feet/Hits Allowed.

Finished the season with 7 appearances, but had a high ERA due to a couple rough outings in limited innings pitched, and was just really settling in when season was cancelled.

Like everyone else, I think Covid really threw a big monkey wrench in his path.  The first season was cancelled when he was still getting better acclimated to everything, and then he actually caught the infection during fall of his second year.  He was forced to miss practices and scrimmages during a critical period of fall season, and for whatever reason he didn't perform very well in the chances he did get.  He lost the confidence of the head coach, and like everywhere else, they had plenty of other guys willing step up.

I think he was reasonably satisfied after the freshman 2020 season, except for the whole cancellation halfway through thing. He felt like he was just getting into a groove and starting to establish his role with the team.  But things were a lot different the second season.  He felt like he never really was given the chance to get anything going.

He learned the value of hard work, and he did make some friendships which will last a lifetime. He also learned the negative consequences of missing his moments and falling out of grace with the coach.

As a parent, I was initially pleased as well. It was great to see him on the college field getting to do what he loved. It had been tough for us making the choice to go to this D2, because he had excellent high school academics and had been accepted into some very top-tier schools, but his dream was to keep playing ball.  We evaluated all the options together, but let him make the final decision.

We as a family have had both good and bad ramifications of these decisions, and we all learned many valuable lessons. I probably had my head in the sand a little on the academic situation, because he didn't complain too much the first few semesters.  He was making great grades, and I just assumed he was satisfied. As it turned out, that school was never going to be able to get him where he needed to be for the future.

He's now in his junior year academically, and has 4 years of eligibility.  He is on track to get his first undergrad degree after next fall, and then will use another 2 or 3 semesters to finish up a 2nd undergrad degree in engineering.  At that point, he will still have a year or two of eligibility, and can then decide where to go for grad school.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and yours as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

He has worked exceptionally hard to get to this point, but has been fortunate to have help from many former coaches and mentors (including some folks on this board), and also has been blessed with more than his share of good favor from Amohalko and others in The Baseball Gods clubhouse.

Entering the Transfer Portal was a leap of faith, because he had to realize that when he entered the portal, he might have played his last college game. We knew the situation with the overloaded rosters, but he made the decision to believe in himself and take the chance.

He has been one of the few to actually go up a division and improve his lot by entering the portal.  I feel for the 2021s and 2022s, but the strange actions of the NCAA have actually benefited us.  He got the extra Covid year, and he took a “red-shirt” by not playing last season, and they suspended the sit-out rule to allow him to go D2–to-D1 without penalty.  Right now, things are looking good for the future.  He had a great fall with the new team, and everyone is excited about the coming spring season.

So, now the hard part - the advice...

Every kid and every path is different.  You can read and hear about a thousand other kids (and I have), but in the end, you have to do what makes sense for your kid and your family.

Baseball has been a huge part of his life ever since he first put on a glove.  He was also blessed to have a lot of choices of where to go for school, but it came down to the fact that he wasn't ready yet to quit on the game.  It's often easier to say "it's too hard" but I respect and admire him for sticking to his plan.  To quote some wise men, "The walls aren't there to keep you out, but only to see how badly you want in" RJM (with inspiration from Randy Pausch)  and "The hard is what makes it great" Jimmy Dugan.

There is a very fine and well-disguised line between “going where you will be happy even without baseball”, and “doing whatever it takes to keep playing.”  Take the time to fully investigate this question within the constraints of your family situation.

Learn as much as possible about every situation going in before committing to anything, and once you're there outwork everyone else and make every opportunity count.  But, always keep your eyes on the long-term goals, and if your current situation isn't getting you closer to those goals, have the courage to make a change.  I don't know for sure who first said this, but I think RJM had something to do with putting it into my brain as well: "You don't lose when you fall down - you lose when you choose to stay down in the mud hole."

Last edited by T_Thomas

Ok. Doing this for HS:

How long ago was your son a HS freshman baseball player?
4 years ago  

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different HS  did he attend?  

No. Changed schools in January of his Junior year so 2 schools.

He was told he would not be allowed to play baseball his junior year because he did not play for his HS coach’s travel organization the previous summer. He was told that the only pathway back to playing on the HS team included him playing exclusively for his HS coach’s travel organization the upcoming summer (summer between junior and senior year). Playing for the other organization was key to his college recruitment (he committed to  Mississippi State fall of  his junior year) and continuing to play outside of his coach’s travel team was key to his continued development as a player.  Hardest part was leaving his basketball team which was ranked #8 in the nation when he left. He was fine leaving basketball behind because baseball was always his favorite but his basketball teammates and coaches were amazing.

He was on the JV team his freshman year and played every inning, primarily in RF. Loved the JV coach and played well.  His sophomore year he was on varsity. Sat at the very beginning of the year for playing basketball (basketball playoffs overlapped with one pre season baseball scrimmage). Then got some innings as DH but often had a pinch runner for him. Finally earned some innings in LF close to play offs. Switched HSs and started every inning for a nationally ranked team primarily in RF. He just finished his Rookie year in the minors for the Padres, started practically every inning in CF. Batted .372 and stole 10 bases with an OPS of 1.000. Was the Padres player of the year for the Arizona Complex league.

Biggest surprise is that some coaches are more wedded to their system of doing things than to fostering the unique talents of each player. And that sometimes, no matter what you do, you will never be a coach’s cup a tee so listen to the cues.  If you have a quiet son and the coach loves a team that yells and screams all game it might not be a good fit. If the starting outfielders are all tall and long and your son is compact (or vis-a-versa) it might not be a good fit. If the coach talks about the importance of tucking in your shirt and a clean locker and your kid has organizational issues, it might not be a good fit. We applied this to his college selection after learning this in HS.

Major “miss” at his first school but so many lessons were learned. And mind you, he still would have stayed if he had been able to play with a different organization in the summer because he loved the school. But he wanted to play HS baseball. Ever since his first HS, major “meets”expectations. So far each level has prepared him for the next and although his journey is not over, we feel as though he is mentally prepared for the challenges baseball brings him.

Work hard, stay true to yourself and drown out the noise (rankings, comparisons, etc). Your journey is uniquely yours so learn what you can from other people’s experiences but do not be afraid to forge your own path.

N/A  currently chasing his professional dream and no longer has college eligibility

@Francis7 posted:
How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?   2019

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?   D3

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?  If he switched schools, why did he switch?  N/A  

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?   He was playing regularly until covid cancelled the season.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?   Having to manage his life (losing wallet, breaking phone, getting sick, figuring out meal schedules, etc.) in addition to his classes and baseball.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?   From my point of view, it seemed to be going great for him, and having it cut short due to covid was devastating.  For my expectations - I had read a lot on this site, and wasn't sure what to expect, except that he better show up in good shape. He got mono the summer before and barely played, couldn't do the workouts for much of the summer, I was worried that  would cause him problems in the fall.  But apparently he worked hard and made it up.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?    There's plenty of good advice about players; something I read on here once, figure out which upperclassmen on the team are good role models and follow their lead.  About parents, be prepared for crises that you don't expect, figure out how to identify your son on grainy video broadcasts (that's what D3 has) so you know what he's doing during games.

What a great thread.  Thanks, Francis7.

@PTWood posted:

Ok. Doing this for HS:

Biggest surprise is that some coaches are more wedded to their system of doing things than to fostering the unique talents of each player. And that sometimes, no matter what you do, you will never be a coach’s cup a tee so listen to the cues.  If you have a quiet son and the coach loves a team that yells and screams all game it might not be a good fit. If the starting outfielders are all tall and long and your son is compact (or vis-a-versa) it might not be a good fit. If the coach talks about the importance of tucking in your shirt and a clean locker and your kid has organizational issues, it might not be a good fit. We applied this to his college selection after learning this in HS.

@PTWood - Excellent, excellent point.  Well said.  Folks currently in the recruiting process and rising college freshmen pay very close attention to these words.   This is gold!   

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Boy, you HSBBW people are gold.  I love HSBBW and appreciated it the moment I first got here, but this thread is resonating with me more than most.  For those who have read through all the responses, does anyone else find it truly exceptional (if not impossible) that people aren't using these questions as a means to brag about their kids?  Even the more successful stories show humility and sincere gratefulness. That is NOT normal, people.  It's the Bizarro world equivalent of Twitter.  The candid nature of some of this stuff belongs in books while Twitter posts belong in the garbage can.  I should say it more often, but thank you all sincerely.  #stupidfortunate

@PTWood posted:

If the starting outfielders are all tall and long and your son is compact (or vis-a-versa) it might not be a good fit.

If the coach talks about the importance of tucking in your shirt and a clean locker and your kid has organizational issues, it might not be a good fit. ?

Good stuff here PT. My son's college position coach is considered one of the top in his field (well followed twitter account, regularly spoke at NCAA Coaches conventions). Team nearly broke NCAA fielding % record one year (tied, error in LF in last or second to last game). My son is about 5'10 1/2" and was taller than or same height as position coach. The coach is currently the instructional infield coach for an MLB team.

As for tucking in the shirt- manager was old school and son didn't have a problem. After all son wore a tie to class every day. (Wore one every day in HS, and excelled academically --figured why change?) Coach joked, "you can wear a tie in infield if you hit!" Son told me that no girl that he met objected to his classroom attire.

Last season/Spring 2021

JUCO

He will graduate this year and then move on to a 4 year

NA

Made 16 appearances out of the bullpen

The level of competition was much higher than either of us expected.  For those going JUCO, go watch some games of the schools you are looking into.   

Exceeded both of our expectations.  Team made to the World Series and made a deep run.  One of the best experiences I've had as a baseball parent and the best he has had as a player. 

Do your research.  Some teams prefer fast lefty hitters, some prefer power lefty bats, some like to bunt, etc.  I know a lot of kids who didn't make it because it was a bad fit from the start.  For the parent and player I'd say be patient.  For the player I'd say get as big and strong as possible before you get to campus and keep getting big and strong. 

NA

@DanJ posted:

Boy, you HSBBW people are gold.  I love HSBBW and appreciated it the moment I first got here, but this thread is resonating with me more than most.  For those who have read through all the responses, does anyone else find it truly exceptional (if not impossible) that people aren't using these questions as a means to brag about their kids?  Even the more successful stories show humility and sincere gratefulness. That is NOT normal, people.  It's the Bizarro world equivalent of Twitter.  The candid nature of some of this stuff belongs in books while Twitter posts belong in the garbage can.  I should say it more often, but thank you all sincerely.  #stupidfortunate

You just explained it!

This thread is gold. Information you cannot get anywhere else.

@Francis7 posted:

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?  8 yrs ago

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? JC, then D2, NAIA

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? No. 4!

If he switched schools, why did he switch? First it was Injury, then graduated from JC and went on to D2, killed it in the Fall, climbed depth chart to earn regular playing time in the Spring, then at some point, kept hitting it hard but right at guys for too long.  First year coach rightfully had to go another direction after that season, so transferred again and had a great year at his final school.

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? Injury late Fall - out for the yr, told by ortho he'd likely not be able to hit again, so tried coming back as a P at another JC the following yr.  He ended up as a position player again for his "second" freshman year, worked his way into playing time second half of the season after a starter screwed up.  Ended up all conference as a soph and went on to the D2.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?  He learned that most college coaches want your school schedule to be about fitting the baseball program, not your academic aspirations.  He learned that most college programs rely far more on players being able to step in and contribute than they do via any further development.  But the biggest surprise came with the injury when, suddenly, it looked like he would never play again.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? Overall good experience.  As with most college athletes, the first year is an advanced class on how to live on your own and hyper multi-task.  Beyond what I said above, he probably expected that more things would be funded.  Many public schools have this challenge.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?  Take care of school.  If you win the job on Monday, the slate is cleared on Tuesday and you have to win it all over again.  Embrace that mentality.  Regarding baseball, before you step on campus, remember and clarify in words to yourself why you love playing and competing.  There will be times when it will be very helpful to replay those words to yourself as reminder

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? Yes

Last edited by cabbagedad

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?  D1 SEC E school, true freshman last season(2021).

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? N/A will be  sophomore in upcoming season (2022).

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?    played in 49 games with 44 starts in the infield between 2nd and 3rd base. not redshirted

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?  level of competition of every day practice and games, especially facing SEC arms. Pressures of winning and succeeding is huge and is something you cannot understand until you get there.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? I would say it probably surpassed his expectations if he were to look back on the season as a whole because he came into a loaded team with 8 of 9 returning starters from the 2020 covid shortened season.  He was very confident coming in but I think it was eye opening for him to see how much talent there is at the college level and how narrow the margins are that separate each player.   There were definitely ups and downs for him during the season that looking back should of been expected, but are tough mentally to deal with at the time. As a parent, he surpassed our expectations both on the field and with his academics.   Watching his on field successes and struggles during the season were both amazing and painful at times, but watching him fulfill his lifelong dream of playing college baseball on the biggest stage has been nothing short of amazing!

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?  To come into school in the best physical and mental shape possible and to be ready to compete from day one.  Eating right and work outs can be a separator.  Also to keep an even keel and remember the overall big picture of life outside of baseball as playing college baseball is more than a full time job and is a grind mentally and physically and can seem all consuming.  Remember to remind your son that baseball is what they do and not who they are and that you are proud of them always no matter the results of on field successes or failures.   

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? TBD.

@Francis7 posted:

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? 2017

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? 2

If he switched schools, why did he switch? left after Sophomore fall, should have left after freshman completion. The fit was what he wanted. The school itself, the coaches and i am sure he has some responsibility there as well.

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? Started around half and received a pinch in almost all others. he was first option off bench for late inning RBI spot.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? The lack of caring from the coaches. What he found during recruitment to actual daily operations were not in sync.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? The depth of lineup was a somewhat surprising thing. They were good team, veteran and deep. it was probably the first time in his life he wasn't the best hitter in the line up.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Get in shape...and then get in better shape. You will be completing with and against men who don't care about you.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? Yes, he is now a Covid senor in grad school. Captain of team, established starter and leader. He has come far, the transfer was the best thing he could have done short of starting there. He transferred to his 2nd school coming out of HS. The team isn't as good...the players are much closer as a group and the coach is as concerned about building quality men as baseball players. It has worked out very well.

Mid-Major (though not very good) D1

Started the year as a mid-week starter.  Got some relief time on weekends....and also had some pinch hit AB's.  Was told when he was offered that he'd get a shot at the IF, but that didn't happen.  Team wasn't very good....though he did enjoy it and really liked his teammates.

Played all 4 years and graduated

Freshman year as well as the next 3 were a struggle to watch.  The team wasn't good....HC was an a$$ to everyone and treated the players like $hit.  Hard to believe that at one time this program was winning games under this guy.  At times it was like watching a bad HS coach.  Didn't really do anything the way you would expect with regard to in game and off the field decisions.  Started kids batting .140 and leading the team in K's over the kid with the highest AVG and team leader in RBI's...even late in must win games.   Never made the conference tourney.  Son will tell you he enjoyed his time there....and again, the other players for the most part...though there were a few duds who fortunately got out quick.   He got to see some cool places....and started on the mound in front of 6000+ twice.  Overall I think if we had the chance to do it again, I'd definitely hope he would have ended up somewhere else.....but he may tell you that he'd do it all over again lol

@Francis7 posted:

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? 2020-21 season. Soph now academically.

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? N/A

If he switched schools, why did he switch? N/A

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? Son pitched 7 total innings out of the pen, then lost a good chunk of the season to a positive COVID test. He was filling a role, closing whenever it wasn’t a save situation. He is a COVID redshirt, so he has 4 more years of eligibility.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? What happened in HS didn’t matter. Son pitched in 3 varsity games in 4 years of HS, won them all. HS coach was a terrible coach and an even worse person. He was fired and will never coach again. Son to this day will not bad mouth him, still says he learned from him. College coach is night and day compared to HS coach. He is honest, upfront and doesn’t promise anything. Does what he says he is going to do. Big surprise for my son was the level of defensive play. In HS and especially travel, if he didn’t have 12+ strikeouts, they would lose. Ground balls and fly balls were an adventure. Son went from primarily a SO pitcher to a GO pitcher between HS  and freshman year. He can relax more on the bump knowing the D has his back. Challenges have been academics, making sure he devotes the time needed to succeed in the classroom and keeping the old man informed on what’s happening at practice and coaches meetings. (This is probably my biggest “challenge” 😜)

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? He didn’t know what to expect. This might sound harsh, but my son’s greatest attributes are that he doesn’t care what anyone thinks of him and that he never grasped just how bad of a baseball player he was 14 and younger. Most players that stunk as bad as he did would have quit. He loved the game too much. So to be playing post HS for a very good team in a very good conference, once he stepped on the field during fall ball freshman season, FAR exceeded his expectations. As a parent, I wasn’t expecting a coach to have the impact on my son as his college coach has. He is a x-MLB pitcher that has taken my son to a whole new level mentally. It’s been a beautiful thing to see. I also wasn’t expecting my son to contribute right from jump street. I thought he would see a couple years of pine time then start making an impact JR year. My son thought something was different after his first bullpen session fall season freshman year, when the upperclassman catcher took him aside and told him he must be a Head Coach recruit because of the time he was spending with him.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Be honest with yourself and your player about their ability. Know where they fit in. Two many parents are more concerned with water cooler talk about “ my son got an offer from such and such school” than finding a place that fits academically and athletically. Most importantly, academic money far outweighs athletic money and it doesn’t stop after ACT’s or SAT’s. Grades are important.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?I hope he will.

@LuvMyKids posted:

This right here👆🏻.

There is a very fine and well-disguised line between “going where you will be happy even without baseball”, and “doing whatever it takes to keep playing.”  Take the time to fully investigate this question within the constraints of your family situation.

Thanks.  I originally had that bolded in my response. Reading over all these great posts, that sentence seems to hit on something that isn't repeated in many others, but is really crucial. Every family needs to try to determine the relative importance of "keep playing" vs. ""go to the best school possible."  I know ideally we want both, but compromises inevitably need to be made.

And, don't neglect the importance of social fit and school culture.  These can be the differentiators between a life-enhancing, transformative experience and "just getting a degree."

Late to the party (typical) for what should be a "golden thread".

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? My goodness 10 years ugh

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?  D3 - likely best D3 program in country for his 4 years, went toe to toe with P5 in fall of one year. 4 year Regionals, 3 years conf. champion, 2 years CWS.

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? Yes

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? 14 innings pitching as a reliever, started a Regional game.  32 of 45 games in field/batting

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? How many big hairy men there were to compete with. Size of the team.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? Exceeded both. Surprised how well the team "traveled" and  positive parent participation.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent? Parents: Sit down, shut up, listen, learn from Sr/Jr Parents, and cheer on the team. Player: Work harder than everyone else, and do the best you can to be a great teammate. Realize external factors sometimes impact your fate on the field.  (Coaches opinions, injuries, other players, team needs)

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? Graduated in 4 years

While his Freshman year exceeded his expectations his Soph year did not:

Note he was a two way:

Freshmen: "Earned" starting outfield position during the year. Contributor out of the bullpen.

Soph: Lost "his" starting position to an incoming freshmen who went on to be one of the best hitters in programs history. Decided going into the season to only play the field so ended up a spot starter/off the bench and became a positive influence to the team, even though he was not regularly starting.

Jr: "Earned back" a starting OF position and broke his finger after 4 games into the season. (LH for a RHP  thank goodness) Had no chance to make it back in time to contribute in the field so started pitching again and ended up the winning pitcher for the conf championship game.

Decided over the summer that pitching was a lot easier than field/hitting and perfected his craft during the off season. 

Sr: Became a spot starter (RHP) and late inning closer/high leverage reliever during the CWS run.

Final note: Playing for a winning program is a lot more fun than playing for a mediocre program. Nothing compares to tournament play, conf, regionals, CWS games. Winning coaches regardless of level are special.

JMO.

Last edited by BOF

I'm up, let's do this.

6 years ago

D1 P5

No, drafted June of 18

Started 6 games, went 3-2 with an average era. Excelled in non-conf games and got schooled a bit in ACC play

Being away from home, time management, trying to "fit in", big pond small fish...his biggest challenge was def being immature.

Great experience, played with a broken bone (scaphoid) all season after trainer mis-diagnosed it and had a solid year, learned a lot. Went from starter , to missing summer baseball in Savannah for post-season surgery to showing up next season and pitching <2 innings in fall. Was told they had nowhere to put him and he would've to compete for a spot "somewhere" in the pitching line up. He went on to take the closer role and the rest is history.

Be there to support him and make time to visit. Regardless of what he says, he will relish those times you do. Clemson has an outstanding academic support dept and they were golden for Ryley and Lindsey is the best.

Drafted in '18, there's still hope he will finish although he is in his 5th season coming up so it's nut cutting time. He has insurance from MLB, paid tuition for Sr. year from Tiger Paw fund at Clemson and I believe he will either play pro ball (the dream) or go get a pschy/sports/ 6th tool degree and coach.

My son is currently a freshman.

D3

N/A but so far, he seems to really like his choice.

N/A

My son is a RHP.  During the fall, all the pitchers got an equal number of innings.   He did not get to pitch when they scrimmaged a D1 team, probably due to his inconsistency on the mound during the team scrimmages.

Surprise - How much of his savings he is spending.  He goes to school in a city and his teammates want to go to a club/bar every Friday and Saturday night.  He ends up spending at least $30 a night every time he goes out.  I have access to his bank account and can see how much $$ he is spending.  He has complained to me that he doesn't like to "pay to hang out with his friends" but if he doesn't go, he's stuck by himself in his dorm room.

Challenges:
Academically, his math class.  My son has always excelled in math and was considering majoring in math.  He failed his second math exam and the class only has 3 exams.  He's very conflicted now - if he is struggling in his first math college math class, is majoring in math going to be feasible?
Athletically - we thought he would get some pitching coaching.  He struggled on the mound (he'd look great against one batter then hit the next two batters.)  The pitching coach was only available a couple of times this fall and never saw him in live action on the mound.  He had the same issue during the high school season.  He has a private pitching coach but would never have the time during HS to see him and his form would go out the window as the season progressed.

For my husband and I, so far it has been exceeding our expectations.  I'll be honest - when our son decided on his school, my husband and I were a little disappointed with his choice in college.  We felt like he was settling.   But looking back on the recruitment, he really did land in the appropriate place.  And the more I learn about his school, both the academics and athletics, I'm confident he's at the right place.  He's at a school that has a winning tradition - 15 years of consecutive winning seasons with the same head coach.  The young men they recruit stay - very little turnover (on average, one player a year.)  The baseball team has a couple of very high profile alum that are still active in the program (come to team events.)  I don't know if it will lead to any future networking opportunities but he's already met them a couple of times.  The athletic facilities at his school are better than some of the D1 programs we saw.   He's close to home so we were able to go to every single one of his fall scrimmages and will most likely be able to attend all of his games, both home and away.  Watching the scrimmages, the guys seemed like they were really having fun - lots of good-natured bantering going in.  I hope it continues in the spring because his high school teammates did not seem to enjoy being around each other or enjoy playing the game.

It's probably meeting my son's expectations.  Except for math, his classes are very manageable.  He enjoys his teammates and spends most of his time with them.  A couple of the seniors have really been great mentors and they've done several team bonding events.   So far, the most significant negative athletically is the limited pitching coaching he has received.

Grades, grades, grades.  He had a good but not outstanding GPA. Our son was recruited by a very HA school but he couldn't get admitted to the school.  He's getting enough academic merit aid at his private college that we're paying equivalent to full pay at an in-state school (we don't qualify for any financial aid.)  His older brother, who is not an athlete and had a higher GPA, was offered significantly more merit aid at a similarly ranked school.

N/A but I hope he does.

@VA_Mom posted:

Surprise - How much of his savings he is spending.  He goes to school in a city and his teammates want to go to a club/bar every Friday and Saturday night.  He ends up spending at least $30 a night every time he goes out.  I have access to his bank account and can see how much $$ he is spending.  He has complained to me that he doesn't like to "pay to hang out with his friends" but if he doesn't go, he's stuck by himself in his dorm room.

LOL- wait until he gets himself a girlfriend, especially if she has expensive tastes.

Sure - here goes

Juco

n/a

n/a

Son earned a spot in the fall in the catcher rotation.  Played in 36 games mostly at catcher but did DH and had one game at 1B.  Sprinkled in a 10 or so PH appearances.

For him the biggest challenge was adjusting to college ball during Covid.  Due to the nature of things last fall there was a lot of start / stop going on between baseball and school.  Son is very much a routine type of person and the disruptions for him were frustrating.  Echoing what others said juggling class, baseball, weight room, homework was a challenge as well.

Son was happy about his experience.  In a lot of ways it was an exceeds expectations, but for him I'll go with met his expectations. The goal was to win a conference championship and they fell short.  As someone mentioned earlier, winning sways perception.

As a parent I tried to go in with an open mind. Learned a lot, learned I didn't know a lot, but settled in and tried to enjoy the ride.  I'll go with met expectations as well (see above).

What you see / hear / expect coming out of fall, may not line up with what happens during the spring.  With everyone getting looks in the fall there were some surprises from freshman parents regarding playing time in the spring.  For son's team, coach is going to go with the players he knows - especially early in the season. Son was one of the few freshman position players to receive significant playing time, so I learned to distance myself from the parents that fell into the trap above.  YMMV.

To that end, don't be that guy/gal.  It is wasted energy, and you'll soon find yourself only in the company of people with the same mindset. 

n/a - that is the goal.

2013-D1 (SEC)- Started as a Frosh- SEC tourney 3 seasons- CWS 2 seasons- Drafted after 3rd Season.

The Experience was greater than expected at a Big School with a Winning Coach/Staff.

He's now attending weddings from the Freshman Class of '13 and has friends for life.

Note: he just regained his student status and will complete his final year (On Line).

Frosh Players should befriend a baseball upper classman to glean from their experience, especially with coach interactions and expectations.

Freshman Parents should be there as often as possible (Especially the AWAY GAMES).

The Journey CONTINUES.

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?  Fall 2014

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?  Mid Major HA D1

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?   Yes, Stayed

If he switched schools, why did he switch?  NA

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?  Started 51 of 51 games

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?  Eating:  the campus dining halls closed before the end of practices/games.   Meals on the road were not "satisfying" or plentiful.   Some were just convenience or grocery store stops.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?  Probably met his expectations, since they were spelled out pretty clearly to him early on.  We enjoyed watching him play freshman year, went to as many games as we could, and absolutely hated hearing some of the other freshmen parents moan and complain.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?  As most said, player need to come to campus ready to play.  Son played legion ball for the first time with his friends the summer before college, and it seemed like enough playing time.  Mandatory study hall for freshman players probably saved his a$$.  Make the time and effort to go to as many games as possible:  you never know which game will be his last.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?  No.  Drafted after junior year, 5th round.   Finished his degree online during Covid, after completing his 7th semester on campus (two years apart).

Notes:  just reading my comments may make my son seem like a stud...starting in 51 of 51 games freshman year and getting drafted.  The reality was, he was passed over by big program schools.  A coach that passed on him (more than likely) suggested him to the coach of the school he eventually went to which was in a different conference.  Although several schools were looking, he got ONE offer.   I can't stress enough, players need to go where "they are loved" and where they can play.   Summer teams: only played one summer in the Northwoods League after sophomore year and had a tremendous season.  Was to play in the Cape after junior year, but landed in short season A ball in Vancouver.

Last edited by keewart
@keewart posted:

Notes:  just reading my comments may make my son seem like a stud...starting in 51 of 51 games freshman year and getting drafted.  The reality was, he was passed over by big program schools.  A coach that passed on him (more than likely) suggested him to the coach of the school he eventually went to which was in a different conference.  Although several schools were looking, he got ONE offer.   I can't stress enough, players need to go where "they are loved" and where they can play.   Summer teams: only played one summer in the Northwoods League after sophomore year and had a tremendous season.  Was to play in the Cape after junior year, but landed in short season A ball in Vancouver.

^^^^ Another piece of golden advice.  ^^^^^

Many of you know that I’m involved in the JuCo baseball scene in Texas and that my youngest son played JuCo ball in Oklahoma. As a result, over the past 5 years, I have been around a lot of JuCo players and parents at countless games and events - including 3 JuCo World Series. At these events I  talk to players and parents about their “college baseball experience” every chance I get.  That’s the only way to know what’s really going on. A common theme among the JuCo players (and their parents)  that bounced down from D1 programs (for whatever reason) is how badly they were treated at the D1 program that they left. Their comments always involve words like shocked, surprised, disappointed, and misled. They talk about the over-recruiting that resulted in no opportunity for them. They talk about running poles at 5:30 am for no reason. They talk about receiving no individual instruction. They talk about being embarrassed by their coaches in front of their teammates. They talk about having their confidence beaten out of them. Mostly they talk about how glad they are to be gone from their first school and how they wished they would have gone JuCo right out of HS. Keep in mind that I’m talking about good kids - not troublemakers - that did nothing wrong more than any other kid. They are casualties of an over supply of players combined with a coaching style that is hard, tough & cold. It’s something that all freshmen baseball players go thru to some extent. Some adapt to the impersonal business aspect of big time college baseball better than others. And some situations are worse than others. But it’s a reality that all incoming freshmen should try to prepare for as best they can. One good thing to do would be playing in a collegiate summer league the summer after HS graduation instead of playing Legion Ball. Spend time around older players. Especially if your player is attempting to make the roster at a program that competes for conference championships. The D1 recruiting experience is seductive. It creates the illusion that players are really wanted -when in reality only 50% (or less) of every recruiting class is wanted. The school just wants 90 days to figure out which 50% they want to keep around. The unwanted half is summarily dismissed one way or another at semester or at end of freshmen year. And hardly any of them seem to understand this reality the first day they set foot on campus. This topic has been discussed in other threads but not so much in this one. It’s much less of an issue in D3 than other classifications IMO but it can exist anywhere. I believe that after freshman year is the time to evaluate if you are in the right place or not - and it’s the time to make a hard decision if necessary.

The D1 recruiting experience is seductive. It creates the illusion that players are really wanted -when in reality only 50% (or less) of every recruiting class is wanted. The school just wants 90 days to figure out which 50% they want to keep around. The unwanted half is summarily dismissed one way or another at semester or at end of freshmen year. And hardly any of them seem to understand this reality the first day they set foot on campus.

At Thanksgiving and the following summer after freshman year my son said asking former travel teammates how it’s going could be like tossing a grenade into the conversation. Fourteen of sixteen from his class went major conference. Seven transferred after the first year as they realized they had made the wrong choice. One kid said by October it was as if he didn’t exist. An eighth transferred despite getting playing time. He was too wowed by being offered by a top program and completely ignored the culture so far from home.

There was a poster on this board with a stud kid from a high school baseball hotbed state. The kid headed off for a top ranked program. He got redshirted. He got ignored. He left after a year. He went home and played JuCo. He was so disillusioned by the recruiting process he quit playing rather than go through the process again.

Adbono;

When my son was invited to visit the Southern MISS school, I also traveled. It was a Spring day in May and the campus was "beautiful". The students all were dressed in their Spring attire. It was "magic".

I ask Coach Hill, I have eligibility and with the "fountain of youth" I will enroll. All I need is books and a map.

Be prepared to adjust!!  "Always "play up". "Don't look back, someone is gaining on you"!!!!

Bob

Last edited by Consultant

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? — He graduated from HS in 2018 and started college right away.

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? — D1

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? — He has graduated with a bachelors but is now doing a graduate degree.

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? — More than we expected. RHP and started as a midweek guy and then got into relief for weekends. He was not asked to redshirt.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? I don't know.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? I think what surprised me the most was how little we knew about what was gong on. We expected a little more communication, but got none beyond game wrap ups and schedules. Here's the extent of personal communication freshman year — coach told son at Christmas that he was a "pleasant surprise." After his first collegiate win against a ranked team, coach said "that was better." Longest conversation I've had with a coach was last season when son gave up I think six home runs and got the win. Coach spent several minutes praising consistency and ability to compete and have confidence in the plan and his team even when the opponent was hitting the crap out of him.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?--Work your butt off. If your coach asks you to jump, don't ask how high. Jump as high as you can.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?--This is his fourth year.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and yours as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

Seek out and embrace competition, and work as hard and as consistently as possible to surpass your competitors' level of play. If there's a secret to success for all but the most gifted in an incredibly tough sport, that's it.

When my son was in the summer before his senior year in high school, he taught me this lesson. On our way back from an unofficial visit at a highly-regarded mid-major, I turned to him and said, "Coach 'Jones' told you today that you are his Saturday night starter, perhaps his Friday night starter TODAY. In contrast, all the coaches at Omaha contenders #1, #2, and #3 will tell you is that they'll give you a chance; and your dream school already has commitments from 2 of the best high school pitchers in the country. Why wouldn't you lean toward the mid-major?"

Without hesitation, he replied. "Dad, I intend to pitch in the major league one day. Why would I shy away from joining the best college staff I can? If I succeed in that environment, it will help propel me to my eventual goal. If I fall short, I'll learn that my goal was unrealistic. It's a no-brainer."

From then on, I never questioned his approach to his recruitment. He joined that staff that had the  2 great pitchers committed to it, and in their junior season, all 3 of them found themselves on the cover of "Baseball America" going into the NCAA tournament as the toughest weekend rotation in college baseball. It got them to within one win of the national championship.

My son lacked the physical gifts of his cohorts (both of whom are still pitching in the majors after 15 years), but he used their standard of performance to work his way to their level. A torn labrum in the minors eventually ended his dream of pitching for a major league team, but he would always be able to say that he never shied away from the competition.

Last edited by Prepster

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? 2015

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? Juco

• Yes, received an associate degree after his sophomore season. Drafted after junior D1 season, still in pro ball as of 2021.

• Transferred to Arkansas (SEC) after completing his sophomore year with an associate degree.

• He played in a limited capacity, RHP - 9 games and 12 innings, he was raw and not particularly successful. He was converting from a corner infielder to a PO.

• Juco is like bootcamp, it’s about embracing, living and learning to love the suck with your teammates while working unbelievably hard toward that next level. If you don’t love the game, you wont stick in juco…

• He would have liked to play more. The Padres called in the late rounds of the 2015 draft, and he turned down $30K to have another helping of Juco, so I’d say it met or surpassed his expectations. For me, even though my son only played 12 innings I loved it! I took and gave away lots of photos of other parent’s kids (here’s the link). I think Juco baseball might be the purest level in the sport, you’ve really got to love the game and connect with your teammates to survive.

• Don’t go into your kid’s freshman season with the expectation that he will see meaningful innings – even in juco. I used photography to keep busy while my kid was on the bench. Giving the other kids and parents photos gave me purpose while I got to see some great baseball. I’ve listened to lots of freshman parents grumble about playing time, when objectively their kids weren’t ready to be a full-time contributors either.

• He completed his junior year at Arkansas and was the Yankees 3rd round pick in 2017. He had early success in the minors, struggled in 2019 and didn’t play in COVID 2020, was ruled 5’d by the Indians and amazingly spent all 2021 in the MLB.

When the Padres called in 2015 and offered him $30K to sign and forgo his sophomore Juco season, I counseled him to start his pro career. He told me that $30K after taxes wouldn’t last very long and it wasn’t enough investment for the team to care about him. This a pretty good example of a baseball dad being starry-eyed, and punch drunk about the draft. He was drafted in the 18th round by Boston after his Juco sophomore season too. He turned down the $165K to become a Razorback, converted from a closer/reliever to a Friday night starter and moved up 15 rounds the following year. I also counseled him to take the Red Sox offer… Two takeaways, there’s no amount of money Trev would trade for his Arkansas experience and don’t ask me for help with draft choices…

Lastly, I never made it to the show as a photographer, but I did make it to the minors with the help of Topps.
Last edited by JucoDad

Great subject and a lot of fantastic words of advice and experience...

2 YEARS 2019 AND 2020

DI MID MAJOR

CURRENTLY ON HIS 3RD SCHOOL!!  ALL ARE D1 MID MAJORS

SCHOOL #1(2019 FALL)-A FRIEND OF HIS PITICHING COACH HAD RECRUITED HIM TO PLAY AT THIS SCHOOL OUT OF HS . WAS PROMISED A SPOT ON TEAM BUT ONLY GIVEN ACADEMIC MONEY.  HAD A ROUGH FALL AND SCHOOL AND LOCATION DIDN'T FIT AS WELL AS EXPECTED ...ALSO 60 KIDS FOR FALL BALL WITH 15-18 JUCO TRANSFERS- WHICH WAS GREATLY UNEXPECTED WHEN HE GOT THERE.  NEEDLESS TO SAY ..THE ODDS WERE STACKED AGAINST HIM. ENTERED PORTAL NOV 2019

SCHOOL#2 (2020 WINTER TILL 2021 SPRING) ACADEMIC MONEY AGAIN AND NO ATHLETIC MONEY. SCHOOL WAS A BETTER FIT IN A FARTHER LOCATION AND HC HAD A SMALL ROSTER. PC AT SCHOOL LIKED HIS DEVELOPMENT BUT HC DIDNT HAVE SAME PROJECTIONS. SON ENTERED PORTAL FOR 2ND TIME MAY 2021

SCHOOL #3 (SUMMER 2021 TILL PRESENT)  NEW HC HAD BEEN IN CONTACT WITH SON SINCE HS. CLOSER TO HOME.  GAVE SON  50% ATHLETIC MONEY OFFER. SON ACCEPTED. HAD A GREAT CURRENT FALL .  HC GAVE SON MORE ATHLETIC MONEY AFTER FALL CUTS AS A 1 YEAR REWARD.   ENTERS 2022 AS A JUNIOR ACADEMIC AND SOPH ATHLETIC.

NONE IN 2019/2020 AS SON WAS NOT ABLE TO GET A TRANSFER WAIVER FROM NCAA TO PLAY IN SPRING 2020 (BUT THEN COVID CANCELLED MOST OF SEASON ANYWAY)

PITCHED 1 INNING IN 2021 SPRING DUE TO MEDIOCRE FALL AND PITCHING MECHANIC CHANGES.

PROMISES DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING. ACADEMIC MONEY DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR TUITION IS LOWER$$. UNLESS SON RECEIVES ATHLETIC $$ YOU ARE DOWN THE HC'S LIST.   WAS SURPRISED HOW MANY KIDS WERE THERE IN THE FIRST FALL (15 MORE THAN STATED). WAS SURPRISED AT HOW HARD THE FALL PRACTICES/TRAINING WAS DESPITE BEING WARNED ABOUT IT.  SON DID WELL ACADEMICALLY BUT IT WAS A STRUGLE ON THE FIELD WITH THE CHANGES AND ROUTINE

IT WAS BELOW HIS EXPECTATIONS ON THE FIELD(MUCH GREATER COMPETITION /TALENT THAN EXPECTED)..AS EXPECTED ACADEMICALLY(3.7-4.0 ALL SCHOOLS) AND ABOUT AS EXPECTED SOCIALLY. THE BASEBALL TEAM IS YOUR INSTANT FRATERNITY.

WELL ABOVE MY EXPECTATIONS IN HOW HE ADAPTED TO INCREDIBLE CHALLENGES ,CHANGE AND ADVERSITY. HE HAS GROWN AS A PERSON SO MUCH AND THE FAMILY IS SO PROUD OF HIM!

#1- DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO GET THE BEST TRAINING FOR YOUR SON. SOME WILL BE TRIAL AND ERROR. SOME WILL WORK OUT.  EDUCATE YOUR SELF AND BE 100% PREPARED.  IT ISN'T EASY (FOR MOST)

#2- ATHLETIC MONEY ONLY..  IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE ATHLETIC MONEY THEN YOU ARE NOT LOVED(98% OF THE TIME). THE KID WITH THE ATHLETIC $$ WILL GET 10 CHANCES TO YOUR KIDS ONE OR 2.. PROMISES MEAN ZILCH ..

GO WHERE YOU ARE LOVED

#3 YOU ARE THE SUPPORT AND FOUNDATION FOR YOUR CHILD. SOME OF THE TRIALS THAT HE IS GOING THROUGH/WILL GO THROUGH - WILL AFFECT YOU ALMOST AS MUCH AS HIM. WEATHER THE STORMS. LEARN FROM EXPERIENCES. GROW AS PARENTS AND YOUR SON WILL FOLLOW.

#4 HAVE FUN.  SOME THINK SWITCHING 3 SCHOOLS AND NOT GETTING PLAYING TIME ISN'T FUN.. AND MAYBE BEING A TEMPORARY HELICOPTER PARENT CAN BE A CHALLENGE..  LIFE IS SHORT. THIS TOO SHALL PASS. LEARN AND GROW. BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE. IT WILL FLY BY QUICK.

PLAN TO ..3RD TIME IS THE CHARM..

Last edited by fishnsail

Now I can actually answer some of these questions.

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? This year.

What level was he playing? Was at a D2 in the fall and transferred to a Juco for the spring.

Did he stay at that school through graduation? TBD. But, he's up to 2 schools now and it's going to be at least 3 if he wants a bachelor's.

My short answer is that it wasn't what he expected or wanted. The longer answer is that he didn't enjoy the campus and he wasn't thrilled with the area. (This is his feeling about it. Personally, I thought the area was great and the campus was a lot better than many others I have visited. But, to each their own.)

This is a tough one. Had he stayed at the D2, I don't think he would have red shirted because they were thin at his position. But, like 10 other freshman there ended up getting red shirted. Would he have played much? I am thinking no because he had two juniors ahead of him at his position. The Juco? We will never know. He got injured in team preseason workouts and missed the entire season.

Surprise was definitely the acceptance that you're a piece of meat. Challenge was related. I think, being a player in a college program means that you better ready to eat a lot of sh*t, smile, and say "thank you sir, may I have another." And, if that's not in your DNA, you're going to not enjoy your time there.

I think I already answered these questions. As a parent, never saw it coming. If you would have told me that, on the one year anniversary of his signing his NLI, on that very day, I would be requesting his release from it, I would have said WTF? And, then, if you told me that he would get injured hitting off a tee in preseason and then miss the whole season, I wouldn't have believed it either. But, it's all true.

Hardly nothing goes as planned. And, the path is far from being a straight line.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? TBD. And, I'm not placing any bets.

Last edited by Francis7
@Francis7 posted:

*Last year (2021-2022)*

*Juco*

*He will graduate with an AA after 4 total semesters*

*everyone in Juco is there to switch (obvious but important to the climate in a competitive Juco program)*

*He got more playing time as the season progressed. In Feb he saw very little and by April he was playing regularly but not every game. He got enough AB’s to get a rhythm going (maybe 60). Also he played like eleventy five thousand innings of intersquad *

*I can only speak to my perspective as a Dad; He would put it differently:

1. He dropped into a two-year process for which the only way out was a stretcher, getting cut, or his coach endorsing him to his next opportunity. There was no “one and done” scenario where he would find his great 4 year after 1 year.

2. It was [edited]. Second year has  not been that way, and I think that speaks to (my) expectations being reset and (his) resolve, and different team dynamics. He is very thankful for the experience.*

*Fall was quite difficult, but by end of Spring we could see/appreciate where things were going for him. I would classify as “unexpected” vs missed expectations.*

*Like Ron Washington’s character said in Hatteberg’s living room: “ITS INCREDIBLY  HARD.” Embrace that and things might just go easier than expected

This is a tough time from a mental health perspective. For any man going off to school, but in a special way for these boys. I don’t have any advice there besides to be aware, be a solid, and stay in touch with your son.*

Last edited by Long415

My take on this is different.  Relatively speaking, it is NOT that hard.

Being 18 and shipped off to World War II is hard.  Living in extreme poverty is hard.  Living during the Great Depression was hard.  

Kids these days, in general, are soft.  Extremely soft.  Prior to the pandemic, the softest generation of All Time, and that left them completely unprepared mentally for any adversity from the pandemic.  

And, parents and kids have in general unrealistic expectations as to just how great they are or how easy the road will be, and in my opinion this is fueled by the completely over the top bizarre travel ball industry that is driven overwhelmingly by the money from the families of slightly better than mediocre talent.

”My kid hit a Double in 16U against a Ole Miss commit = if he just gets a chance he can be a 3rd or 4th round pick” and  “a scout told him he’s got a nice swing” kind of thing. * And hey, look, looking back I fell into that trap myself from time to time when my son was in high school! *

My son got 5 at bats as a freshman. At a D3.  In a lower level D3 conference.   Now as a sophomore so far he’s still not starting but has appeared in all but one game so far.

He’s getting a huge percentage of school paid for at a great academic institution.  He’s making close close friends with his teammates.  He’s learning what hard work truly is.  He is one of the kings of campus in terms of female attention etc.   He’s getting a very good education.  His spring break trip to Florida was a blast: 9 games in 7 days, a day off for sightseeing, complete trip paid for, great food, sunshine etc…

Its not exactly hard times in a soup line…

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

Being 18 and shipped off to World War II is hard.  Living in extreme poverty is hard.  Living during the Great Depression was hard.

hey @3and2Fastball, the “incredibly hard” line is from Moneyball, and he certainly wasn’t suggesting playing 1st base was like shipping off to war. He means it’s harder than it looks, which I think you’re saying, too.

My kids have finished the journey. They’re young professionals. They had quality college baseball/softball careers. How often does it come up in conversation? Almost never. They have younger cousins who are college athletes. Being an athlete comes up at Thanksgiving.

College is a stage of your life. Then you move on to the next stage. There’s so much more to accomplish in life. Don’t get stuck dwelling on a past stage whether it was positive or negative. You might get stuck there.

Kids these days, in general, are soft.  Extremely soft.  Prior to the pandemic, the softest generation of All Time, and that left them completely unprepared mentally for any adversity from the pandemic.  

And, parents and kids have in general unrealistic expectations as to just how great they are or how easy the road will be, and in my opinion this is fueled by the completely over the top bizarre travel ball industry that is driven overwhelmingly by the money from the families of slightly better than mediocre talent.

”My kid hit a Double in 16U against a Ole Miss commit = if he just gets a chance he can be a 3rd or 4th round pick” and  “a scout told him he’s got a nice swing” kind of thing. * And hey, look, looking back I fell into that trap myself from time to time when my son was in high school! *

My son got 5 at bats as a freshman. At a D3.  In a lower level D3 conference.   Now as a sophomore so far he’s still not starting but has appeared in all but one game so far.

He’s getting a huge percentage of school paid for at a great academic institution.  He’s making close close friends with his teammates.  He’s learning what hard work truly is.  He is one of the kings of campus in terms of female attention etc.   He’s getting a very good education.  His spring break trip to Florida was a blast: 9 games in 7 days, a day off for sightseeing, complete trip paid for, great food, sunshine etc…

I grew up in a different state from where I live now and where my kids were born. I'm also one of those older dads. I was almost 40 and almost 42 when my kids were born. (Wife is much younger than me.) So, I grew up in a different place and time.

When my kids were young, we took them on a tour of where I grew up. Stuff like "This was my first house growing up" and "This was my middle school."

When the kids saw how far the middle school was from the house, they asked me how I got there and I said "I walked."

Hearing that, my son, who was around 10 at the time asked: "Grandma let you walk THAT FAR to school?"

And, my answer without hesitation was: "No. Grandma MADE ME walk that far to school."

Kids are different these days. But, a lot of that is because of how the parents treat them.

This is the equivalent of "I walked up hill both ways to school" argument. Yes parents are unrealistic about their kids, and baseball is blah blah blah blah blah....etc....

But calling this "the softest generation of All Time" (emphasis on your capitals, not mine) because they've never experienced generational hardships to your standards seems a bit overboard and a tired argument that's overused. How do you even quantify "the softest generation of All Time"?  As I tell my kids "you don't know what someone else is going through, have some empathy".

@nycdad posted:

This is the equivalent of "I walked up hill both ways to school" argument. Yes parents are unrealistic about their kids, and baseball is blah blah blah blah blah....etc....

But calling this "the softest generation of All Time" (emphasis on your capitals, not mine) because they've never experienced generational hardships to your standards seems a bit overboard and a tired argument that's overused. How do you even quantify "the softest generation of All Time"?  As I tell my kids "you don't know what someone else is going through, have some empathy".

Fair enough.  Then let me ask you with all seriousness:  which generation is or has been softer?  Millennials perhaps, as they didn’t have to go through a pandemic during their youth?  

Asking sincerely, I have an open mind

Naturally, everyone's experiences are vastly different.  My daughter was the school's top recruit and she knew she would start as a freshman.  This wasn't a promise from the coach but rather she had a strong belief if herself and a history of outstanding achievements.   Fortunately for her, she was part of a strong recruiting class which resulted in four other freshmen starting as freshmen.  This is rare.  Still, the upperclassmen were cruel.  The other freshmen in that recruiting class didn't make it into the season.  For the rest of the recruiting classes, only one freshman would start for any of those classes.  As it is with human nature, there were constant complaints about politics, abilities, and how much money parents raised in fundraisers. 

Per "kids today," nothing changes, and kids today are no different than at any other time.  Their challenges are different and, perhaps their parents are different.  IMO, you have players in college who are driven and will not accept being anything less than the best.  Many of them, but not all, also are competitive in the classroom.  There are those there that view athletics as an avenue to an education and while still competitive, want to make sure that they get a quality education.  Then, and we all know this even if some don't want to admit it, there are players in college who are playing because they don't want to disappoint their parents.  With the level of play and requirements to play at these higher levels, they soon weed themselves out but do so in various ways.  JMHO!

I do think the level of athleticism has increased, which makes current Baseball more difficult

A pitcher from our area was drafted in the 3rd Round twenty years ago because he threw 90.  My D3 kid and his teammates will annihilate 90 mph fastballs if there isn’t a great offspeed pitch to keep them off balance.

Theres a Shortstop on my son’s team who runs a 6.6 sixty, that was unheard of in D3 ball recently.  Lots of pitchers on his team throwing mid 80’s or higher, etc etc

there are players in college who are playing because they don't want to disappoint their parents.

Years ago I had the opportunity to meet Dr Joel Fish. I was introduced by a friend who became a youth sports advocate after his NBA career.

Dr Fish is the head of the Center for Sports Psychology. They have many Team USA and professional teams under contract. But he said in numbers their largest client base is teen travel kids whose parents have screwed them up mentally with pressure to perform. He told me a majority want to quit the travel sport but don’t dare tell their parents. They don’t like playing anymore. But due to the time and money the parents have invested they don’t dare quit.

He said if they don’t quit travel they tend to quit when they get to college and don’t have the parents hanging over them.

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.