Skip to main content

I've always assumed - yeah I know, that the 34/31 should only be swung by bigger (mainly taller), kids. 6'2" or taller and strong body. My feeling was that if 6'2" Barry Bonds was swinging a 34" and choking up, then why would any kid shorter than him need to go beyond a 33". Just my thinking...

Noticed 5'11" Brian Dozier of the Twins swinging what looked to be a 34" last night and based on game used models for auction, that is the bat length he swings.

And I saw a college kid this summer at 6' 190 lbs swinging a 34" wood bat and he said he had swung a 34 since his junior year in high school. I know there are no hard and fast rules and the size charts are just estimates.

But, have any of you seen college or high school kids that weren't huge, swinging a 34" bat. Or have sons/teammates that swung a 34/31 and what was their size/bodytype and experiences going to the 34"?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What do you consider huge? My son was swinging a 34 inch wood when he was 6'1" 170. Everyone on his showcase team was also swinging a 34. A couple of kids were 5'10" 175.

It's not about size. It's about the ability to generate bat speed. if a hitter can generate the bat speed he wants as much force on the ball as possible.

Last edited by RJM

In my opinion, huge for a college or high school baseball player is 6'4" or taller and 215lbs plus (but I'm mainly referring to height). Much of my "assumption" was based on Bonds. If he was choked up on a 34", why would anyone else really consider anything above a 33".

And while comparing high school and college kids to MLB'ers isn't the best thing to do, I did some looking and Kole Calhoun, at 5'10" and 205lbs is swinging a 34". Obviously, he is a heavier built player than Brian Dozier, but both are listed under 6'.

I rarely see anyone swinging a 34" bat unless it is a very tall player, usually 6'4" or better, and those are pretty rare. So, after I saw the 6' kid this summer swinging one, and noticed Dozier's bat size last night, I started reconsidering.

I see that Altuve is swinging a 33". So, if he can swing a 33" most normal sized players could conceivable try a 34".

a 34" bat has a larger hitting surface than a 33". Richie Allen used a 35" 35 ounce bat.

YOU CAN MEASURE A BAT SIZE BY PLACING THE KNOB IN THE CENTER OF YOUR CHEST AND EXTEND YOUR ARM TO END OF THE BAT.

Mike Diaz, former ML player used a 34" 30 ounce against Dwight Gooden and a larger bat against the "junker".

A hitter adjusts his stance in the batters box depending on the pitcher. Study the pitcher, do not worry about the bat, only the "white" ball.

Bob

PS: Ted Williams also choke the bat

Stafford posted:

In my opinion, huge for a college or high school baseball player is 6'4" or taller and 215lbs plus (but I'm mainly referring to height). Much of my "assumption" was based on Bonds. If he was choked up on a 34", why would anyone else really consider anything above a 33".

And while comparing high school and college kids to MLB'ers isn't the best thing to do, I did some looking and Kole Calhoun, at 5'10" and 205lbs is swinging a 34". Obviously, he is a heavier built player than Brian Dozier, but both are listed under 6'.

I rarely see anyone swinging a 34" bat unless it is a very tall player, usually 6'4" or better, and those are pretty rare. So, after I saw the 6' kid this summer swinging one, and noticed Dozier's bat size last night, I started reconsidering.

I see that Altuve is swinging a 33". So, if he can swing a 33" most normal sized players could conceivable try a 34".

The pending AL MVP thinks he is normal size.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.