Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Part of the solution is to have better players than everyone you play - this kind of stuff is annoying from college football coaches that are playing with the deck in their favor. 

I do not want to dismiss his coaching ability but his biggest edge is not in the wisdom that he spouts but in the fact he has 20 NFL players on his roster.

Play 10-11 games a year with 20 NFL guys against places with 3-5 and you too can start every year at no worse than 10-1.  Win the other 3 or 4 against the schools that have the same number as you and you are the National Champ. That is where these guys make their money.  Win the Big 10 or SEC regularly and you are a God. 

You will probably never see someone other than a Power 5 conference win the football championship again - including Notre Dame as ACC for this one.

I mostly agree with you luvbaseball - except I still think the message is a very good one.

I don't like Urban Meyer and I definitely do not like Ohio State.

But I won't let my dislike for him or his school cloud my ability to hear a good message.  I think he is the best coach in college football with whatever players he has (Bowling Green, Utah, Florida...now Ohio State where some felt you could not win it all in the Big10/outside of the SEC anymore) and at least one of the very best in all of college sports.  I think he proved that once again last year.  He is in competition with no more than about 10 college teams each year because of the points you made (talent level), but he still wins at a crazy rate and again, I think he's pretty spot on with the message in the video.

At least its pretty close to how we and our kids approach school, sports...business.  Look for solutions, don't be the problem.

If there is anybody to dislike, it's Nick Saban of Alabama.  Urban Meyer can at least claim a lineage back to Woody Hayes (via Earl Bruce) whom of course many would despise.  How do you think the "good" folks of Baton Rouge and Miami feel about Saban?  Urban Meyer is from near where I was born in Ashtabula Ohio.  How many of you have ever heard of that place?

Ohio State is what they are because of Woody Hayes.  Michigan is what they are because of Bo Schembechler.  Who begat Bo Schembechler?  Ironically, of course Woody Hayes.  Who begat Woody Hayes?  Paul Brown.  No one talks about Paul Brown anymore but all/many of the great coaches come from his tree including Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and so forth.

Part of being a great coach is recruiting those great players. Then getting those great players to play as a team. Meyer can flat out "recruit" "motivate" "X and 0" "communicate" "ID talented like minded coaches to surround himself with" "And Coach."

Now yes he has had some serious issues with some of his players. Especially at UF. It's the type of player he is recruiting. Look at Miami during their run. Look at Nebraska when they were a power. And take a look at FSU. And there are others.

College football is a big business. It's about the money. And these guys bring in big bucks so more is tolerated. They are paid to win and bring in the big bucks. And limit the negative press please guys. I am not saying it's right it's just the way it is.

I don't like Meyer. But I still have to acknowledge he is a great coach. He knows what it takes to win and he does it. I personally have become a TCU fan. Patterson takes 2 and 3 star recruits and plays with the big boys. He does a freakish job of getting his players to buy in and compete at the highest level. I hope they win the NC this year. Could Patterson take the talent at Ohio State and win like Meyer is? Or is he better suited with the guys he gets and the approach he uses? Could Meyer win with Pattersons? Yep he did it at Bowling Green and Utah.

I don't like Meyer simply because he coaches at Ohio State and I don't like Ohio State. He comes across as arrogant to me. But that arrogance probably comes across as confident and prepared to his players. I love Baylor's coach. I love Oregons coach. I love Texas A&M's coach. ND's coach? He is at the top of my list of guys I can't stand. Maybe it's just how they come across. Meyer can Coach.

Originally Posted by ClevelandDad:

If there is anybody to dislike, it's Nick Saban of Alabama.  Urban Meyer can at least claim a lineage back to Woody Hayes (via Earl Bruce) whom of course many would despise.  How do you think the "good" folks of Baton Rouge and Miami feel about Saban?  Urban Meyer is from near where I was born in Ashtabula Ohio.  How many of you have ever heard of that place?

Ohio State is what they are because of Woody Hayes.  Michigan is what they are because of Bo Schembechler.  Who begat Bo Schembechler?  Ironically, of course Woody Hayes.  Who begat Woody Hayes?  Paul Brown.  No one talks about Paul Brown anymore but all/many of the great coaches come from his tree including Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and so forth.

Been to Ashtabula - salt of the earth Midwestern town.  The kind that made America great.

I agree entirely that Paul Brown is probably the most important individual in football coaching history.  His biggest mistake was Johnson over Walsh when he retired for good.  His tree is a redwood in a forest of maples.

I agree entirely that Paul Brown is probably the most important individual in football coaching history.  His biggest mistake was Johnson over Walsh when he retired for good.  His tree is a redwood in a forest of maples.

Yup - agree.  We lived in Cincinnati at the time of PB picking Tiger Johnson over Bill Walsh and my dad said it was a bad mistake at the time.  I have to fault PB for that and his son has nearly run that franchise into the ground.

As for Bill Walsh - Ran into him at a Stanford tailgate a few years before he passed. We had a good mutual friend. Really nice guy.

Originally Posted by ClevelandDad:

Aaron Hernandez committed murders while with the Patriots so using your logic, the credit for those must belong to Bill Belichick.

Actually, they are looking into a murder that they questioned him about while he was still at UF. Many people thought he was being protected at the time because he was a Gator.

Originally Posted by RJM:

On Meyer's Florida championship teams he had 45 players with arrest convictions. That's half the team. One turned out to be a murderer. Soon he'll be on trial for two more murders. Urban knows where to find the talent. I have very little respect for the guy.

Wow if that's a true fact, it's no "Urban Legend."

Originally Posted by d-mac:

Google: Urban Meyer Coed Florida, and you will find out the real reason he left Florida.  I think he is a great football coach arguably the best in the game, but I cannot stand him.   

C'mon - I Googled it and all that came up was a few message boards or blogs with fans.  Heck, one even suggests some pretty silly stuff - I'm not even sure the writer was serious.  No noteworthy news sources at all that I saw for any of it.

Look, I don't like the guy either and the types of people he recruited at FL is fair game.  But this is at least by my quick look, a little ridiculous.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.