Skip to main content

Reply to "Boycott Gatorade"

This reminds me of ending a phone conversation years ago when the kids were small and we were living in England; I said, 'gotta go, we're taking the children to go see the Christmas lights on Oxford Street.' These, of course, were the days when the Christmas shopping season was heralded by Thanksgiving in the US and the first IRA bomb on Oxford Street.

"You're NOT taking those babies to Oxford Street!" cries my friend, at home in Dallas. Says I, "I can guarentee you more people died last week in violent crimes in Dallas than have died in the last 10 years from IRA bombs on Oxford Street." Your response depends on the violence you're used to.

In the US we have some fan violence and property destruction (You may also recall the young woman who died during the BoSox' 'celebrations'); probably not so much as some other countries on a per capita basis, but probably more than others.

Conversely, the European s****r hooligans would be appalled at the violence we in the US take as daily fare on the news.

Many football stadia (most when hooliganism was rife in the '80's) primary "seating" isn't seating at all, it's barred-off enclosures where fans stand for the match --- your ticket is to a certain 'pen'. Imagine, if you will, a critical Yankees-Red Sox game, complete with beer, where there were no barriers between heckling fans. Think the odd punch might get thrown?
Last edited by Orlando