Skip to main content

Reply to "College Sophmore Labrum Surgery"

Sounds like your son made the best of his situation. Leaving something that had been a significant part of his life since a young age has got to have been heartwrenching. I already see the disappointment in my son's eyes as he attends the games of his peers. But, we are trying to remind him that the surgeon appeared confident and that hopefully in time he will be able to return, perhaps not as a catcher, but still as a ball player. I think what gets him the most was that he went into surgery with a torn labrum, only to find out later that he had not only the Slap III tear but also a full thickness rotator cuff tear. The first words out of his mouth was ,"I'm f*****" of course we have reminded him that he has several years of baseball left...we encourage him to focus on college...but at 19, so close to the draft, all he can think of is baseball. He honestly was never much of a scholar, focused more on his friends, his social life and baseball...more baseball...actually ice hockey was his passion for a good portion of his youth, until a lengthy struggle with post- concussion ended that dream, but by than he was already eating, sleeping and breathing baseball. One day this will be behind him...meanwhile I have faith that be will work hard to achieve his goal. Your son sounds like a great young man, thank you for sharing his story, it is inspiring!