Skip to main content

Reply to "Did Vanderbilt kill baseball?"

How often is the anthem played while it’s on tv? Far less often than it’s on. How often do the Blue Angels fly overhead? Rarely. I don’t make it a point to catch anything that comes before play starts whether it’s on tv or in person. Either I’m returning from the kitchen, bathroom or concession stand. Or I’m reading.

There isn’t a good reason to play the national anthem before every sporting event. It’s forced nationalism. It should be saved for the Super Bowl, game one of finals in other sports, national holidays, etc.. The first time the anthem was played was the 7th inning stretch of the World Series during WWI.

I can’t remember the last time I heard the opening of MNF. It occurs ten, fifteen minutes before the game starts. I don’t watch pregame shows. If you had asked who sings the opening of MNF this year I couldn’t have told you. I’m assuming it’s HW Jr. Only because it made the news I know HW Jr didn’t do it for several years.

If I was going to cover my ears for anything it would be Sweet Caroline. The Sox have worn it out.

Last edited by RJM