Skip to main content

Reply to "Great reminder for us all!"

Some of you may have misunderstood my OP. I don't think for a minute that parents need to coddle their college-age children. However, in my opinion, it is a mistake to think that their brain operates in the same way as their middle-age parents. Taking that into consideration, I believe that providing good counsel or guiding them thru some of their more difficult challenges is the furthest thing from coddling.

Growing up in a military family, I was never coddled and believe that there was a significant benefit in figuring things out on my own. However, in looking back now, I would have appreciated having someone to lean on in certain situations simply because I was obviously thinking/acting like someone who was not operating at full capacity. 

Having four children of my own while also having a career in education, I can attest to the importance of providing opportunities to develop the skills needed to succeed as an adult. If you were to survey my children, students, and players, I think most would say that self-advocacy is part of my regular vocabulary. That does not mean that I don't make myself available should they find themselves in need. Many of those conversations end up with me advising them to self advocate but there are others where I have felt the need to get involved.  I just don't personally think it makes much sense to have a hard, fast rule in place that college students should never have help along the way.

Choosing to highlight extremes avoids the reality that most college students are still developing the capacity to make the same decisions that they would at an older age.  As always, just my 2 cents but 2 cents based on a lot of experience working with young people, having 2 college-age kids, and talking with many of my former students and players who are 25+.

Last edited by coachld