Skip to main content

Reply to "Hs recruitng - today's world"

We often talk about recruiting as if the experience is consistent across the board - and it isn’t. Depending on the talent level of the player, the recruiting experience can vary drastically. IMO (and this is a generalization) these are the labels that get assigned to HS players looking to be recruited: D1 P5, D1 mid major/D2, JuCo, HA D3, D3, NAIA. Depending on which category you fall in you could drag a ton of interest or very little. The group that a player falls into at 16 is often not the same as when he is 18 or 21. But a key part of successful recruiting is that the player/parents understand the right pond to be fishing in. That includes making good decisions about the right travel ball team to play for and choosing the right individual events to attend. And by right I mean getting exposed to schools at the proper level for YOU. If the right level of school is targeted from the beginning the odds of being successfully recruited go way up. By far (and I mean by a million miles) the most common mistake I see is kids & parents thinking they are D1 P5 or D1 mid major material when they are not.