Skip to main content

Reply to "LH Pick Move......."Feinting Home""

Jimmy,

Your real name isn't Joe West is it....LOL.

Anyway. I disagree with you and have tons of professional and college LH pitchers making exactly the same move and not being called for a balk.

The move is only deceptive if the runner is leaning towards the next base.

There were some 150 Balk calls in all of the 2010 pro games. Why so many at the HS level?

Frankly, the balk call on a LH that strides within the 45 is kind of what happens when lawyers get together. The purpose of them getting together gets lost in the discussion.

The umpires get the judgement on what's 45 (no speed squares allowed) and what's not. Now some also want to decide how far he can stick his butt out when he goes to first. And all this with perhaps the worst angle on the field with a two man crew?

Just once I'd like to see a video, or an actual demonstration, of a LH pickoff balk where the pitcher was 1st base side of the 45 but "leaned" towards home thus "feinting". Hopefully the Evans video has one. No umpire I know has been able to perform the maneuver without losing his balance. It seems it can't be duplicated in demonstration but is occuring in games. I want something I can point my finger at and say "okay, that's a rules violation" on this feinting thing having already given blue the judgement on the 45.

Until I can see this "feinting home" evidence from a angle that clearly shows it I'll continue to believe that the LH pitchers are within the rules but are fooling the umps as well as the runner.

If the pitcher makes the 45 and it is a smooth continuous movement, foot doesn't completely cross the plate, etc. then it is a legal move and anything else is conjecture and imagination on the part of the umpire IMHO. Facial features, eyes, head direction, chest direction, foot path, all are part of a good move.

Of course, I could be wrong, baseball is full of controversy.

OBTW: Your "umpiring seminars" you referred to were exactly the "clandestine meetings" I talked about in earlier posts. How many coaches and players were in attendance. Why do very reputable long time successful coaches at the highest level teach this move and have the player perfect every little bit if its illegal. Why is the exact same movements taught in Collegiate Baseball Magazine (very recent issues) but not refuted by a member of your profession. Is there any chance that some of your members are interjecting themselves too much into the game and making incorrect decisions from a really poor angle?