Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers & Committing"

Our son is committed to a HA D3. HC still told us to keep academic and baseball options open because of this crazy and unknown environment we are current living in. The issue is deferrals at HA schools because school is currently online. HC said he will walk through the application for admissions but even with a very positive academic pre-read response from the director of admissions, he added a caveat that deferrals in this incoming freshmen class can possibly affect admissions for 2021 HS graduates. He was asked to apply ED1 by the HC so he won’t know if he is accepted until December at the earliest. Doesn’t leave much time to activate plan B. 

Not sure how son can keep baseball options open while still being committed to what was one of his target/dream schools. 

The link below is a thread from just over a week ago on Recruiting Slots at HA schools and my reply.   I think the HC is just being honest and giving you a totally fair read on the situation.   Does he have fewer "slots"  this year, maybe, can he sneak a few more guys over his slots, doubtful due to deferrals. 

What to do? He's not using a slot on your son as noted above.  You must try to be as realistic as possible on his chances to get in.  In a normal year if acceptance is 20%, for 2021's it might be 10%-15%.   Everyone thinks their kid will get into these schools but in normal years its an absolute crapshoot.  What would I do?  Apply ED and be prepared to apply to 10 other schools in mid-December or tell the coach that while this school is your #1 choice and you are committing to playing baseball for him, his comments give you pause on actual acceptance and you would prefer to apply early action, and then apply to the other schools of interest.  Just my 2 cents...

https://community.hsbaseballwe...20#64092996560767020