Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree on your theory regarding all of this.... I think you might be discounting the amount of underclass kids in the portal who are moving around. Also multiply that with D2/3 kids you are not seeing in the portal moving around.There is absolutely a trickle down at every level and every school.The one caveat I would say is that P’s seem to be affected less than positional players. 

@CTbballDad posted:

IMO, I'm not sure Ivy and Patriot were impacted much, as many don't allow a 5th year senior/graduate students.  Now, if applications/enrollments are down, they may allow coaches to recruit more to get more in the door, but given the current yields, etc., I doubt that would be much of a factor.

100% in agreement.  Also, given the static nature of Ivy and Patriot League rosters year after year, I don't think you'll see much of a change with the number of players that coaches recruit and recommend to Ivy and Patriot Admissions.  I also don't think you'll see Admissions change their policies for recruited athletes especially after the recent scandals that hit many high profile HA schools.

Well, I was trying to think about the math with this.  It partly depends on whether baseball is played this spring.  I would imagine that many football players at HA schools deferred, because they lost their season.  I would also imagine that fewer baseball players deferred, because they would then lose the season if there are games this spring.  Teams still need to have their 30+ players, regardless of what year they are.  Since no-one knows what will happen this spring, this year's Early Decision recruiting has to play out as normal, I would think.  It's this spring that everyone, coaches and college admins, will have to figure out how many students they will have coming in the following year, and how to manage that.  I'd think that if anything, the 2022s will be dealing with whatever the fallout is.

The recruiting slots for Ivy League should remain the same (about 7-8). Though players gained an additional year of eligibility this spring they cannot use at Ivy. This could mean that more Ivy Leaguers will head to grad school for that 4th year. The "portal" reflects that. I would surmise that you would have a similar story for the smaller rostered HA D3s.

@Ripken Fan posted:

The recruiting slots for Ivy League should remain the same (about 7-8). Though players gained an additional year of eligibility this spring they cannot use at Ivy. This could mean that more Ivy Leaguers will head to grad school for that 4th year. The "portal" reflects that. I would surmise that you would have a similar story for the smaller rostered HA D3s.

Yes, mostly I'm hearing about 7 to 9 spots, depending on the school, but nothing out of their usual numbers.

Last edited by LuckyCat

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.