Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

Three weeks post-op update:  The boy is doing pretty well with very little pain other than soreness from PT, which he's starting his second week of. Mostly range of motion exercises which are fairly small movements and pretty boring to him but progress here can't be rushed at any cost.

The other day we were talking about the road to recovery, from a baseball perspective, and I brought up things like fatigue when receiving, blocking, etc. and how his body would remember the training he's done for years but the endurance aspect will take a while. He promptly told me that he isn't even thinking about that stuff right now. He just wants to get back to doing things like being able to sleep on his side/front. That gave me some perspective.

He's got three more weeks in his sling, which means three more weeks without driving. I'm not sure any of us thought through that one all the way. He's been driving on his own since he was 15 so we're having to re-discover the logistics of carting him around everywhere.

He and I are headed up to small D3 in the NWC the first week in October to meet/interview with admissions, sit him in a class, tour the campus with the HC, watch a baseball scrimmage, and hang around for the football homecoming game so that should be a nice trip to break up the monotony and everyday frustration for him. It's also good for him mentally that we're doing this at the request of the coach, who also set everything up for him for the visit. Good to know that there is still interest even with the coach knowing about the injury and rehab time.

The struggle now has become 99% mental so we're just trying to maintain positivity for his sake. He's got a great team of coaches, trainers, family, and friends around him so I think everything is going to be just fine. As I like to reiterate with each post, I hope this may help someone in a similar situation at some point. Thanks to all for the continued support!

Last edited by tequila