Tagged With "MVP4000"

Topic

Catching mask

Backstop1512 ·
Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

mepp ·
Related question: My son wants to go to a 2 piece mask because he says that he can see better with it. It seems like that wide design of the mask gives a better view both peripherally and directional line of sight. Was wondering if anyone else had seen that as a reason for going to the old style. Comments?
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Coach_Sampson ·
I've worn both... and there is a perceived difference in field of vision but not any real difference. I think it is due to the sides of the helmet being against your face. But like said before, if your son plays under NFHS rules he has to wear the hockey style helmet
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Bulldog 19 ·
Originally Posted by mepp: Related question: My son wants to go to a 2 piece mask because he says that he can see better with it. It seems like that wide design of the mask gives a better view both peripherally and directional line of sight. Was wondering if anyone else had seen that as a reason for going to the old style. Comments? You can come up with whatever reason you want, NFHS rules specify that the mask must be approved by NOCSAE as a unit. The two-piece mask/helmet does not meet...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

BishopLeftiesDad ·
Originally Posted by Backstop1512: Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears, or their state doesn't approve it. The...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Backstop1512 ·
Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad: Originally Posted by Backstop1512: Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears,...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Golfman25 ·
Unless you trust that the hitters won't clip you, I would stick with the hockey style.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Smitty28 ·
You have an All-Star MVP4000 and you're thinking of using a two-piece? Geez, that's the best mask you can get. It's pretty cool looking too if you consider Yadier, Buster, etc.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Coach_Sampson ·
If you're comfortable wearing the hockey style helmet then stick with it.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

coach2709 ·
The mask helmet is there for protection and safety. Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing. Get the one that protects you the most. That would be the hockey style mask.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Batty67 ·
Originally Posted by coach2709: The mask helmet is there for protection and safety. Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing. Get the one that protects you the most. That would be the hockey style mask. My son is in 9th grade and will be trying out for his HS team in the next few weeks. He has always used a hockey style mask since he started catching in LL 5-6 years ago. All the time he asks me about getting a traditional style and,...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

coach2709 ·
Originally Posted by Batty67: Originally Posted by coach2709: The mask helmet is there for protection and safety. Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing. Get the one that protects you the most. That would be the hockey style mask. My son is in 9th grade and will be trying out for his HS team in the next few weeks. He has always used a hockey style mask since he started catching in LL 5-6 years ago. All the time he asks me about...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Go44dad ·
....But the whole "cool" and "everyone's doing it" is generational. When the hockey style mask came out everyone wanted to have one because it was "cool" and "everyone's doing it" as well. Now that the hockey style is the norm the kids coming up see the old two piece as trendy...... I'm waiting for the curved bill hat worn straight to come back in style.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

BackstopDad32 ·
My son wears both of the All Star types. We live in TX so in the school year he has to wear the hockey style. No issues with it. In the summer he prefers the two piece. He is a kid who sweats a lot and he finds the two piece to be more comfortable in the heat. He claims it stays drier as well.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Sugi ·
My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team and I have argued for him...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Smitty28 ·
Originally Posted by Sugi: My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team...
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Coach_Sampson ·
The only reason I preferred the two piece set up was that it was easier to wear sunglasses with the mask on.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

Batty67 ·
And let's not forget the super-extension follow-through that can clip a catcher in the side or back of the head. Yes, rare, but it does happen. Just another safety consideration.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

trojan-skipper ·
High school rules require the one piece, hockey style, the rationale on I that was there was no way you test a 2 piece together... Kids wear different helmets with different masks. Keep your 2 piece for summer ball but you have no choice for high school.
Reply

Re: Catching mask

piaa_ump ·
Trojan skipper hits this on the head.....if you play under NFHS rules, and most all HS baseball is, there is no choice, the traditional mask and helmet are prohibited for NFHS play. it does have to be NOCSAE certified and have dual ear protection......thus the HSM is the most used mask......
Post
.
×
×
×
×